Arkansas Governor signs new executive law to protect women.

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 6:03 pm
WellPreserved wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 5:53 pm
Slimshandy wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 4:38 pm

There is a huge difference between someone who feels like a woman, and someone who has the physical body of a woman.

To deny that is to deny science…
To take the fairness aspect away from women means that you’re valuing inclusivity more than you value fairness to women in sports.
I don't define a woman based on her chromosomes or external genitalia and am loath to disqualify transgender and intersex women (less than 1% of the population) from all sport based on perceived advantage when the science is not decided.

"A new study financed by the International Olympic Committee found that transgender female athletes showed greater handgrip strength — an indicator of overall muscle strength — but lower jumping ability, lung function and relative cardiovascular fitness compared with women whose gender was assigned female at birth.

That data, which also compared trans women with men, contradicted a broad claim often made by proponents of rules that bar transgender women from competing in women’s sports. It also led the study’s authors to caution against a rush to expand such policies, which already bar transgender athletes from a handful of Olympic sports.

The study’s most important finding, according to one of its authors, Yannis Pitsiladis, a member of the I.O.C.’s medical and scientific commission, was that, given physiological differences, “Trans women are not biological men.”

The authors cautioned against the presumption of immutable and disproportionate advantages for transgender female athletes who compete in women’s sports, and they advised against “precautionary bans and sport eligibility exclusions” that were not based on sport-specific research."
https://www.nytimes.com/2024/04/23/worl ... =url-share

I also find this fear mongering about transgender women taking away scholarship opportunities from "real" women absurd. As I posted before, out of 200,000 NCAA women athletes, 50 are women and to date, no transgender woman has received a NCAA athletic scholarship. The fact that parents are in a tizzy about this reflects more about our lack of free education which is a MUCH bigger issue than a few women with a Y chromosome or a couple of women with testes.

Arkansas's restrictive abortion laws makes it clear that they don't care about or protect women. I find the headline laughable.
In the nicest way possible, if their lung function is lower, then they’re been physically harmed by the medical interventions they’ve taken.

If their cardiovascular fitness is worse, they’ve been harmed so much that their lifespan will be lessened.

If you’re ok with that so be it, but being that most transgender athletes aren’t undergoing that level of change, it’s irrelevant.

If you are ok with sports being unfair to women, so be it… that’s your own prerogative. But I know for a fact that you can at the least, understand why others might not be ok with it.
We've kind of gone round and round with this and I know I won't change your mind.

I believe transgender women ARE women so obviously I don't feel that allowing transgender women participate in sport is unfair.

Just curious, are you sure all your girl friends have XX chromosomes and/or a vagina? If you found out one of them were intersex or transgender, would you no longer consider them a woman?
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 6:16 pm
WellPreserved wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 5:53 pm

I don't define a woman based on her chromosomes or external genitalia and am loath to disqualify transgender and intersex women (less than 1% of the population) from all sport based on perceived advantage when the science is not decided.

"A new study financed by the International Olympic Committee found that transgender female athletes showed greater handgrip strength — an indicator of overall muscle strength — but lower jumping ability, lung function and relative cardiovascular fitness compared with women whose gender was assigned female at birth.

That data, which also compared trans women with men, contradicted a broad claim often made by proponents of rules that bar transgender women from competing in women’s sports. It also led the study’s authors to caution against a rush to expand such policies, which already bar transgender athletes from a handful of Olympic sports.

The study’s most important finding, according to one of its authors, Yannis Pitsiladis, a member of the I.O.C.’s medical and scientific commission, was that, given physiological differences, “Trans women are not biological men.”

The authors cautioned against the presumption of immutable and disproportionate advantages for transgender female athletes who compete in women’s sports, and they advised against “precautionary bans and sport eligibility exclusions” that were not based on sport-specific research."
https://www.nytimes.com/2024/04/23/worl ... =url-share

I also find this fear mongering about transgender women taking away scholarship opportunities from "real" women absurd. As I posted before, out of 200,000 NCAA women athletes, 50 are women and to date, no transgender woman has received a NCAA athletic scholarship. The fact that parents are in a tizzy about this reflects more about our lack of free education which is a MUCH bigger issue than a few women with a Y chromosome or a couple of women with testes.

Arkansas's restrictive abortion laws makes it clear that they don't care about or protect women. I find the headline laughable.
In the nicest way possible, if their lung function is lower, then they’re been physically harmed by the medical interventions they’ve taken.

If their cardiovascular fitness is worse, they’ve been harmed so much that their lifespan will be lessened.

If you’re ok with that so be it, but being that most transgender athletes aren’t undergoing that level of change, it’s irrelevant.

If you are ok with sports being unfair to women, so be it… that’s your own prerogative. But I know for a fact that you can at the least, understand why others might not be ok with it.
We've kind of gone round and round with this and I know I won't change your mind.

I believe transgender women ARE women so obviously I don't feel that allowing transgender women participate in sport is unfair.

Just curious, are you sure all your girl friends have XX chromosomes and/or a vagina? If you found out one of them were intersex or transgender, would you no longer consider them a woman?
I would consider them anything they wanted me to consider them… because that’s polite.

Politeness does not equate to scientific reality, no matter how hard you feel like it does…
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

My opinion - reading this thread gives us a preview of the upcoming election campaign... lot's of performance politics about social and cultural issues, and very little attention to the dire issues that effect the country and our futures.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 6:20 pm

I would consider them anything they wanted me to consider them… because that’s polite.

Politeness does not equate to scientific reality, no matter how hard you feel like it does…
Would you explicitly come right out and say that to your "friend"?
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Della wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 7:36 pm

If my friend wanted to be a woman, I’d of course call them by any name they wanted…

If they told me they wanted to get pregnant, I might say “ that’s going to be hard, let’s look into adoption or surrogacy “.

There’s a big difference in what they should be treated like vs what their body is going to be capable of.
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

MonarchMom wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 7:13 pm My opinion - reading this thread gives us a preview of the upcoming election campaign... lot's of performance politics about social and cultural issues, and very little attention to the dire issues that effect the country and our futures.
Well… it’s kind of all “what I feel like should be the rules”

Whether that’s republicans or democrats… it’s all about what they feel like needing to be the rules everyone else goes by. And they’ll fight like hell to get it…
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 7:46 pm

If my friend wanted to be a woman, I’d of course call them by any name they wanted…

If they told me they wanted to get pregnant, I might say “ that’s going to be hard, let’s look into adoption or surrogacy “.

There’s a big difference in what they should be treated like vs what their body is going to be capable of.
If she said, "I love being a woman", would you respond, that "does not equate to scientific reality, no matter how hard you feel like it does…"?
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Della wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 8:02 pm

If she said, "I love being a woman", would you respond, that "does not equate to scientific reality, no matter how hard you feel like it does…"?
It would be fine if she wanted to live life as a woman…

If they wanted to get pregnant though, that’s not going to happen. I’d be talking to them about other ways to have a baby.

Being polite to them doesn’t mean science doesn’t exist anymore.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 8:04 pm

If they wanted to get pregnant though, that’s not going to happen. I’d be talking to them about other ways to have a baby.

Don't you think that any friend you have who can't biologically have children would know about other ways to have a baby without you explaining it to them?😂
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 8:34 pm
Slimshandy wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 8:04 pm

Don't you think that any friend you have who can't biologically have children would know about other ways to have a baby without you explaining it to them?😂
I dunno… you’re having trouble understanding why men have an upper hand in sports… so anything’s possible.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic