House approves antisemitism bill amid pro-Palestinian campus protests

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/463 ... tests/amp/

“ The chamber approved the bipartisan legislation — titled the Antisemitism Awareness Act and introduced by Rep. Mike Lawler (R-N.Y.) — in a 320-91 vote, sending it to the Senate for consideration. Twenty-one Republicans and 70 Democrats opposed the measure.”

“ The bill would require the Department of Education to use the International Holocaust Remembrance Alliance’s (IHRA) working definition of antisemitism when enforcing antidiscrimination laws.

The group defines antisemitism as “a certain perception of Jews, which may be expressed as hatred toward Jews” and says “Rhetorical and physical manifestations of antisemitism are directed toward Jewish or non-Jewish individuals and/or their property, toward Jewish community institutions and religious facilities.”
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I didn’t think that in my lifetime we would need something like this…

It’s the most horrific example of “learn from history or repeat it” that I’ve ever seen.
Lexy
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 10:02 pm I didn’t think that in my lifetime we would need something like this…

It’s the most horrific example of “learn from history or repeat it” that I’ve ever seen.
Agree
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Me either. I confess that with the world going all backwards since October 7th , I lost my ability to be shocked. I now fully understand how the Holocaust happened. Like Hamas and these antisemites and Israel haters could go to the lowest of the lowest of humanity and I wouldn’t even gasp. Just wait for the next low they could go to.
But occasionally something good happens and I do feel shock once more.
My faith in humanity has really been shattered ☹️ I hope I can recover it some day.
Slimshandy wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 10:02 pm I didn’t think that in my lifetime we would need something like this…

❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

😂

"Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene, R-Ga., voted against the bill because of a disagreement with an example of antisemitism listed in the International Holocaust Remembrance Alliance's definition, which referred to using "symbols and images" such as "claims of Jews killing Jesus or blood libel" to describe Israel or Israelis.

Greene argued on X that the bill "could convict Christians of antisemitism for believing the gospel that says Jesus was handed over to Herod to be crucified by the Jews."

Rep. Matt Gaetz, R-Fla., voted against the bill for similar reasons, pointing to the same example of antisemitism, which many Jews consider harmful.

"The Bible is clear," he wrote on X. "There is no myth or controversy around this."

(...)

“Let’s remember that many of these Republicans didn’t say a word when Donald Trump and others in Charlottesville, other places, were saying truly antisemitic things.”

Trump, as president, sparked a backlash when he suggested that "many sides" were to blame for the deadly violence at a white nationalist rally in Charlottesville, Virginia, in 2017, declining to single out white nationalists.
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
AZOldGal66
Countess
Countess

Unread post

While I'm actually happy with Congress this time around, I see nothing encouraging from this as far as deterring the actions of those who are determined to continue this current uprising we're seeing in the U.S.

I feel blessed that all three of our kid's, who have talked with us...my husband and I....about the past few weeks on college campuses are just as disgusted with the actions as they have been since October 7th from both IDF and Hamas.
just an old coot 😉🌵
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

This sets a precedent for the future. Be careful what you wish for and always be prepared for the unintended consequences.

"Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-Fla.) called the legislation a “ridiculous hate speech bill.”

“Antisemitism is wrong, but this legislation is written without regard for the Constitution, common sense, or even the common understanding of the meaning of words,” he wrote on social platform X.

“The rise of antisemitism in America and especially on college campuses is abhorrent and disgusting, but I will not violate my constitutional principles to vote for a bill that tramples on the First Amendment and won’t make a positive impact on this issue,” Rep. Lauren Boebert (R-Colo.) echoed in a post on X.

Rep. Jerrold Nadler (D-N.Y.) said despite having “devoted much of my life to combatting antisemitism,” he was against the “misguided bill” and “threatens to chill constitutionally protected speech.”

“Speech that is critical of Israel—alone—does not constitute unlawful discrimination. By encompassing purely political speech about Israel into Title VI’s ambit, the bill sweeps too broadly,” he added in a statement on the House floor.

Rep. Delia Ramirez (D-Ill.) in a statement raised concerns about conflating antisemitism with criticisms of the Israeli state."
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic