Florida settles with Miami hotel over drag queen Christmas show

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
RIZZY
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Seems like an easy fix would be requiring the hotel to have an age requirement to attend the show, just like movie theaters, etc. When I was a kid, we got asked how old we were when buying movie tickets to something more mature. Our parents being with us didn't necessarily matter, we had to be a certain age. I didn't read the settlement but I'm guessing this would be too easy of a solution.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

RIZZY wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 1:41 pm Seems like an easy fix would be requiring the hotel to have an age requirement to attend the show, just like movie theaters, etc. When I was a kid, we got asked how old we were when buying movie tickets to something more mature. Our parents being with us didn't necessarily matter, we had to be a certain age. I didn't read the settlement but I'm guessing this would be too easy of a solution.
I worked at a movie theater 30 years ago. Even then, if it was an R rated movie and the parent was with the kids then we didn't need to worry about the kids' ages. Now if the kids were alone trying to get into an R rated movie, then we could require ID to prove they were old enough to purchase the tickets. But if an adult was with them it didn't matter.

Now on the topic of age requirement to attend a drag show, my understanding is that it already exists. There are some specific drag shows that are 21+ for attendance no matter what. Those shows usually are held in venues that are already 21+ so kids don't get in anyway. That is where you will find your more raunchy drag shows.

My point being, the rules are already there for these drag shows. The really raunchy ones are already 21+, and the ones that would be more equivalent to R or PG it's up to the parents if they want their kids to attend. Why do we need to change that by forcing an age requirement on every show? What we've had for years and years already works.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:29 pm https://www.foxnews.com/us/desantis-str ... en-present

Is this the same event? The story sounds familiar, but just had time to google it.

Unless this article is exaggerating, my opinion on this probably won’t be popular. I am really tired of the media making me feel like I have to chose between two fucked up decisions. The far right needs to quit picking on LGBT like they can’t be trusted around children and give worse behavior a pass. The far-left needs to quit expecting people to condone sexually reckless behavior like it does not come with consequences.

We won’t always agree but it needs to be more reasonable than using laws to harass certain groups that you (general) don’t like and expecting people to accept adults feeling comfortable simulating masturbation around minors.

WTF? It is like everything is taken to an extreme now.
It is the Hyatt case, yes. I believe these should be parental decisions. Especially since that's what DeSantis campaigns on.
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

RIZZY wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 1:41 pm Seems like an easy fix would be requiring the hotel to have an age requirement to attend the show, just like movie theaters, etc. When I was a kid, we got asked how old we were when buying movie tickets to something more mature. Our parents being with us didn't necessarily matter, we had to be a certain age. I didn't read the settlement but I'm guessing this would be too easy of a solution.
I 100% agree. This seems like a political pissing match, not what is best for the kids. I’ve planned a lot of events with explicit adult content and it was never this complicated.

From my experience with explicit content…age requirement is better when you are responsible for a crowd that includes kids. Parental consent has a bigger impact when it comes to age appropriate events of a sexual nature IMHO.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Della wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 2:28 pm
SouthernIslander wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:29 pm https://www.foxnews.com/us/desantis-str ... en-present

Is this the same event? The story sounds familiar, but just had time to google it.

Unless this article is exaggerating, my opinion on this probably won’t be popular. I am really tired of the media making me feel like I have to chose between two fucked up decisions. The far right needs to quit picking on LGBT like they can’t be trusted around children and give worse behavior a pass. The far-left needs to quit expecting people to condone sexually reckless behavior like it does not come with consequences.

We won’t always agree but it needs to be more reasonable than using laws to harass certain groups that you (general) don’t like and expecting people to accept adults feeling comfortable simulating masturbation around minors.

WTF? It is like everything is taken to an extreme now.
It is the Hyatt case, yes. I believe these should be parental decisions. Especially since that's what DeSantis campaigns on.
It’s case by case. IMO. Managing events based off parental consent doesn’t necessarily mean it’s the best or safest decision for the group.

I mentioned Republicans double standards on my quote, so I was talking about him too.
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Francee89 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:10 am
SlimShady wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:25 am
SallyMae wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 10:01 pm

I was, and I'm reminded of this marcher I photographed in Denver. No one seemed to think this would hurt children.
I think that kind of behavior definitely hurt the cause.

I for sure didn’t want my daughters thinking that dressing the up like a vagina was a way to fight against the loss of their rights…

I don’t think turning a very serious issue into a mockery was anything but a hinderance to the cause …we seriously went from the kinds of womens marches in the early 1900’s and civil rights marches in the 60’s where everyone marching was actually out there fighting for their rights, getting tantamount to tortured at some marches and during arrests, changing the minds of the voters because they saw how much of these causes truly impacted American freedom… to grown men frolicking around in a vagina costume while they giggle like schoolgirls…and then we’re shocked when the voters that see these displays lose all inkling that this even matters and we lose our rights.

Thanks for the thought I guess but it delegitimized the cause so much that women are now bleeding out from ruptured uteruses when they can’t get abortions, lost agency over their bodies and lost the ability to fully control their reproductive future…
Women are being forced to be on the brink of death to get abortions in states where it’s illegal not because of costumes at protests, but because Republican lawmakers either don’t care, or do care, but are too scared to stand up against pro-life lobbyist groups who helped draft and pass these laws, and who won’t hesitate to primary Republicans they see as insufficiently restrictive on abortion: https://www.propublica.org/article/abor ... alth-risks
Do you think this kind of behavior led them to care more?

How many of you were in the offices of those republican lawmakers lobbying for our abortion rights?
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

SallyMae wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 4:25 pm
SlimShady wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:25 am I think that kind of behavior definitely hurt the cause.

I for sure didn’t want my daughters thinking that dressing the up like a vagina was a way to fight against the loss of their rights…

I don’t think turning a very serious issue into a mockery was anything but a hinderance to the cause …we seriously went from the kinds of womens marches in the early 1900’s and civil rights marches in the 60’s where everyone marching was actually out there fighting for their rights, getting tantamount to tortured at some marches and during arrests, changing the minds of the voters because they saw how much of these causes truly impacted American freedom… to grown men frolicking around in a vagina costume while they giggle like schoolgirls…and then we’re shocked when the voters that see these displays lose all inkling that this even matters and we lose our rights.

Thanks for the thought I guess but it delegitimized the cause so much that women are now bleeding out from ruptured uteruses when they can’t get abortions, lost agency over their bodies and lost the ability to fully control their reproductive future…
First of all, it's not a guy. It's totally a woman.

Secondly, this did not delegitimize the cause, and blaming this woman for the loss of abortion rights is awful.
We can agree to disagree on that.

I think it severely delegitimized the cause.

We were fighting for life and death choices for women, raped 13 year olds being able to decide their own future. Abused women being able to leave their relationships without forever ties to their abusers…

Then it became fake vaginas, harmonicas and people acting like idiots in the streets because they were having fun.

I can’t even imagine how they possibly thought this would help anyone .
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Traci_Momof2 wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 4:31 pm
SlimShady wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 6:08 pm
Quorra2.0 wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 4:08 pm

I didn’t see anything on that Wikipedia page that stated Florida has fined theaters. Also I wasn’t talking NC-17 because nudity, sexual suggestion, sexual situations, and ‘lewd’ behavior isn’t limited only to NC-17.
They can be fined $500 each time they do.
No it’s not limited to NC-17, but laws do lean more on the strict side when it’s live shows vs. movies

I don’t think anyone would care if Dame Edna and Mrs. Doubtfire were having a show kids were at, but it is much different when prosthetic vaginas are part of the show…
But that's ridiculous. Why should it matter if it's live vs on a big screen? When there are sexually suggestive scenes/content, we allow parents the right to choose for their own children when it's on a screen. But if it's the same exact kind of content in a live show, suddenly only the gov't knows what's best for our children?

No. That just proves that these laws such as the one in Florida have nothing to do with protecting children and have everything to do with restricting art form. Anyone who thinks it's about protecting children has blinders on, blinders so horribly bad they can't even see what's right in front of their own nose.
Because live events are different than watching a movie.

At a movie theater you might be seeing drunk people being rowdy on the screen, at a real life event you’re sitting in the crowd of drunken rowdy people.

And secondly, most adults don’t want their night out filled with adult themed fun being filled with kids all around. When adults are around only other adults they act differently than when kids are around.

It’s the same reason we don’t let kids into most comedy shows, or into nightclubs.
Francee89
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:37 am
SlimShady wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:25 am

I think that kind of behavior definitely hurt the cause.

Women are being forced to be on the brink of death to get abortions in states where it’s illegal not because of costumes at protests, but because Republican lawmakers either don’t care, or do care, but are too scared to stand up against pro-life lobbyist groups who helped draft and pass these laws, and who won’t hesitate to primary Republicans they see as insufficiently restrictive on abortion: https://www.propublica.org/article/abor ... alth-risks

How many of you were in the offices of those republican lawmakers lobbying for our abortion rights?
I don’t think it led them to care any more or less. If the real, documented suffering of real women happening every day under these laws isn’t motivating them to care about women’s health and lives, it’s hard to believe costumes at protests moved the needle on their opinion either way.
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Francee89 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:51 am
Slimshandy wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:37 am

I don’t think it led them to care any more or less. If the real, documented suffering of real women happening every day under these laws isn’t motivating them to care about women’s health and lives, it’s hard to believe costumes at protests moved the needle on their opinion either way.
Do you think it helped to outline the severity of the cause? Or do you think people were more having fun with it?
Locked Previous topicNext topic