Lawyers for 12-Year-Old Sue Middleboro Over School's Refusal to Let Him Wear Controversial Shirt

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I would need to know more about the schools dress code policy. Do I find the shirt deplorable? Sure. But if I say that kid can’t wear it because I find it disgusting, some conservative could come along and say my kids can’t wear their pride shirts. Freedom of speech should be observed as long as it doesn’t cross into hate speech. But, if the school has specific policies stating he can’t wear a transphobic shirt, he should observe that and they have every right to discipline him for breaking school rules. The parents are free to take it up with the school if they don’t like the policies.
Lexy
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:14 pm I would need to know more about the schools dress code policy. Do I find the shirt deplorable? Sure. But if I say that kid can’t wear it because I find it disgusting, some conservative could come along and say my kids can’t wear their pride shirts. Freedom of speech should be observed as long as it doesn’t cross into hate speech. But, if the school has specific policies stating he can’t wear a transphobic shirt, he should observe that and they have every right to discipline him for breaking school rules. The parents are free to take it up with the school if they don’t like the policies.
Schools have the right to censor student speech. As long as they do the same to someone who wears a shirt that says "there are multiple genders and I'm gender fluid".
jessilin0113
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Lexy wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:05 am
Olioxenfree wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:14 pm I would need to know more about the schools dress code policy. Do I find the shirt deplorable? Sure. But if I say that kid can’t wear it because I find it disgusting, some conservative could come along and say my kids can’t wear their pride shirts. Freedom of speech should be observed as long as it doesn’t cross into hate speech. But, if the school has specific policies stating he can’t wear a transphobic shirt, he should observe that and they have every right to discipline him for breaking school rules. The parents are free to take it up with the school if they don’t like the policies.
Schools have the right to censor student speech. As long as they do the same to someone who wears a shirt that says "there are multiple genders and I'm gender fluid".
These things are not equal though. Trans and NB kids are the ones that get bullied and attacked and their existence legislated and debated. Trans and NB kids are the ones that suffer poor mental health and shockingly high rates of suicidal ideation and attempts, partially because of nonsense like the shirt in the OP. Shirts like that are exclusionary and mean spirited. A "multiple gender" shirt isn't bullying anybody and is meant to be inclusive and supportive.
Deleted User 1977

Unread post

It's situations like this story that helps to continue to lay out the case in support of school uniforms.

That, or no shirts with sayings on them.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

jessilin0113 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:28 am
These things are not equal though. Trans and NB kids are the ones that get bullied and attacked and their existence legislated and debated. Trans and NB kids are the ones that suffer poor mental health and shockingly high rates of suicidal ideation and attempts, partially because of nonsense like the shirt in the OP. Shirts like that are exclusionary and mean spirited. A "multiple gender" shirt isn't bullying anybody and is meant to be inclusive and supportive.
I would agree with this 6-7 years ago but the way people treat and shame each other over opposing views has escalated to a form of bullying as well.

School uniforms make more sense, at least until this political climate gets better and it’ll eliminate at least some of this division so these kids can go to school without all this drama.
Deleted User 1977

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:24 pm
jessilin0113 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:28 am

I would agree with this 6-7 years ago but the way people treat and shame each other over opposing views has escalated to a form of bullying as well.

School uniforms make more sense, at least until this political climate gets better and it’ll eliminate at least some of this division so these kids can go to school without all this drama.
💯% agree!
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:05 am Schools just need to do with uniforms and be done with it. I’m over seeing these kids caught in the middle of political drama and spitting contests because all they see is adults doing it.
My son’s high school only allowed spirit shirts. I think they lightened up during and after Covid. Like ds went in wearing anime or picture shirts. Anything political though forget it. I’m okay with uniforms for this reason.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Pjmm wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 4:28 pm
SouthernIslander wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:05 am Schools just need to do with uniforms and be done with it. I’m over seeing these kids caught in the middle of political drama and spitting contests because all they see is adults doing it.
My son’s high school only allowed spirit shirts. I think they lightened up during and after Covid. Like ds went in wearing anime or picture shirts. Anything political though forget it. I’m okay with uniforms for this reason.
Uniform requirements failed here. Three different times.

I went to private school and after so many years of the boring attire, I was ready to wear just about anything 😂.
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Della wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 4:37 pm
Uniform requirements failed here. Three different times.

I went to private school and after so many years of the boring attire, I was ready to wear just about anything 😂.
My kids had to wear collared shirts with sleeves or spirit shirts. No torn jeans or crop tops, shorts had to be a certain length, etc. After Covid it was like the high school stopped caring. My son used to wear t-shirts and I told him that was his problem if he got caught.
I'm just tired of the stupid arguments over what a kid can wear to school. I'd say no T-shirts with messages and call it a day.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

My step baby is a huge anime fan. Lol!

I agree, if uniforms will keep down all this drama, I am all for it. The Covid drama was the last straw for me.
Locked Previous topicNext topic