The Truth About Death ; It doesn’t exist

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Interesting experiment. It's always fun to ponder the mysteries of life. It keeps our minds sharp! Thanks for the post.
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

cgd5112 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:25 pm I remember a really bad movie back in the 70s called Beyond and Back. One scene showed a guy taking a picture of the soul leaving the body. It went on to say that a soul has weight and some other stuff I can not remember.

An interesting thing us if the energy that leaves the bidy carries consciousness or whether we come from nothing and return to nothing conscious wise. John Danaher and I think Sam Harris call these the first and second deaths.
I love that idea of experimenting whether there's a weight difference caused by the soul leaving the body at death. I've always found that thought intriguing. I've seen it referenced in film, but I don't know if anyone has ever tried it IRL.
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Quorra2.0 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:33 pm
cgd5112 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:25 pm I remember a really bad movie back in the 70s called Beyond and Back. One scene showed a guy taking a picture of the soul leaving the body. It went on to say that a soul has weight and some other stuff I can not remember.

An interesting thing us if the energy that leaves the bidy carries consciousness or whether we come from nothing and return to nothing conscious wise. John Danaher and I think Sam Harris call these the first and second deaths.
There was an episode of “Evil” in which there was an experiment in which they were trying to determine the weight of the soul or something like that. I was working on a project so only half paying attention, lol.
That's it! I knew I'd seen reference to something like that and couldn't recall where. It's an intriguing idea.
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

Deleted User 1990

Unread post

Valentina327 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:59 pm

I love that idea of experimenting whether there's a weight difference caused by the soul leaving the body at death. I've always found that thought intriguing. I've seen it referenced in film, but I don't know if anyone has ever tried it IRL.
It was experimented on dogs :/

https://www.mcgill.ca/oss/article/did-y ... d-21-grams
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

SallyMae wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:23 pm
Pjmm wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:03 pm It sounds more like at the quantum level space time is flexible and protons can behave in ways i personally don’t understand. Not that I’m against the idea of the soul living on after death but I’m not sure this proves anything. For all we know after death our energy just disperses into the universe.
"Our energy" is not different from any other energy in the universe. What makes us unique individuals is our patterns of electrochemical activity. It doesn't look like the patterns survive the physical body, but on the other hand, patterns can be re-created. Perhaps someday we will all find ourselves here again for a time, running as a program in a 2020s internet simulation.
Dear God i hope not
cgd5112
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I didn't know that. It is interesting though. The notion that a soul would have weight. If the soul is energy.... If consciousness has weight ... So many things to ponder/wonder about.

BobCobbMagob wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:24 pm I remember that movie.
I think the idea of losing 21 grams at death came from an experiment with dogs a long time ago, but it was never duplicated
cgd5112 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:06 pm Remember the movie with Sean Penn called 21 grams? It referred to the wright one loses immediately upon dying. I think it implied the weight of the soul or energy lost ...
Quorra2.0 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:33 pm

There was an episode of “Evil” in which there was an experiment in which they were trying to determine the weight of the soul or something like that. I was working on a project so only half paying attention, lol.
Aletheia
Regent
Regent

Unread post

BobCobbMagob wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:08 am the “me” feeling—the ‘Who am I?’—is just a 20-watt fountain of energy operating in the brain.
Imagine you took an A3 wall poster of the Mona Lisa, cut the paper into small squares, and then sorted those squares by colour:

Does it have the same artistic merit, or is something now missing?

The answer is that the thing which gives it value is not the raw energy or matter involved... it's the information - the pattern in which those pieces of energy and matter are arranged.

And, unlike matter/energy, the quantity of information is not preserved.
Aletheia
Regent
Regent

Unread post

BobCobbMagob wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:08 am the “me” feeling—the ‘Who am I?’—is just a 20-watt fountain of energy operating in the brain.
Your consciousness (what you call the "me" feeling), isn't the electrical energy stored as currents moving along the neurons in the brain. It is the pattern.

And there is no evidence yet found by physicists, that this pattern is preserved after death.
Aletheia
Regent
Regent

Unread post

BobCobbMagob wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:08 am Consider an experiment published in the prestigious scientific journal Science.
Wheeler's paper has been published in several journals. For example:

The “Past” and the “Delayed-Choice” Double-Slit Experiment
by John Archibald Wheeler
https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-12-473250-6.50006-6

though you may prefer the less mathematical explanations in the links at the bottom of the wikipedia page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheeler%2 ... experiment
Aletheia
Regent
Regent

Unread post

BobCobbMagob wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:09 am Ok then , it’s NEWS that this book is going to come out
Nancy Kress is a good science fiction author (I enjoyed her "Beggars in Spain" series), but tends to be more on the sociological end; if you want closer to hard science fiction, try her husband, Charles Sheffield (author of "Sight of Proteus"), who studied Physics at Cambridge University.
Locked Previous topicNext topic