Florida textbook altered to remove references to Rosa Parks’s race: report

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:14 pm
Thelma Harper wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:35 pm
Lemons wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:24 pm

No. It’s also not a time to change facts. There’s enough of that going around with Florida trying wipe out Black accomplishments by removing children’s books about them or refusing to name their race.
The South was a worse time for Black people down South than the North in the 50’s and 60’s. That is just a fact and you shouldn’t try to minimize what was happening in the Confederate states. The North aggressions should be another topic.
You, my Yankee dear, are a bigot, lol. Yes, you may "hear" that in a southern female voice.
When you disagree or don’t even understand an ignorant person starts name calling.

You come on here constantly bashing and berating the south after multiple users have said something to you about your bigoted attitude towards the south.

Multiple people have told you how offensive it is… but heaven forbid someone does it to you?

You are a bigot. If you don’t like the name, change your offensive behavior.
SoFloMom
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:23 pm
SouthernIslander wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:48 pm

No. It’s also not a time to change facts. There’s enough of that going around with Florida trying wipe out Black accomplishments by removing children’s books about them or refusing to name their race.
The South was a worse time for Black people down South than the North in the 50’s and 60’s. That is just a fact and you shouldn’t try to minimize what was happening in the Confederate states. The North aggressions should be another topic.
No, it’s not another topic because racism is everywhere and you only comment on racism when it comes to the south.

You are not Black nor are you from the south. You are in no position to school me about what happened to Black people in the 50s and 60s.

Again, I guess Malcolm X, Panthers and other Black leaders outside of the south were just full of shit.

If we are gonna talk about racism, we talk about ALL of it..not just the parts that benefits your agenda.
You are all over the place throwing in current history when the topic was Florida teaching civil rights movement. The Southern states were the problem in the 1950’s and 1960’s . Are you seriously trying to claim otherwise? Just because racism was everywhere doesn’t change that. No one is that F***ing stupid.

You are not White and did not live in the North. Where do you get your information that the civil rights movement was equally because of racism in the North?

SMH.
Did you know the largest Civil Rights Protest of the 1960s happened in New York City to protest school segregation?

My grandparents were Black and lived in the North during the 60s. They’re no longer living, but they would most definitely disagree with your assertion that southern states were the problem in the 50s and 60s.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

No, it’s not another topic because racism is everywhere and you only comment on racism when it comes to the south.

You are not Black nor are you from the south. You are in no position to school me about what happened to Black people in the 50s and 60s.

Again, I guess Malcolm X, Panthers and other Black leaders outside of the south were just full of shit.

If we are gonna talk about racism, we talk about ALL of it..not just the parts that benefits your agenda.
You are all over the place throwing in current history when the topic was Florida teaching civil rights movement. The Southern states were the problem in the 1950’s and 1960’s . Are you seriously trying to claim otherwise? Just because racism was everywhere doesn’t change that. No one is that F***ing stupid.

You are not White and did not live in the North. Where do you get your information that the civil rights movement was equally because of racism in the North?
Am I arguing with you about white life up north? No. YOU are arguing with ME about Black people when YOU are not Black.

Lemons, you call me fuckin stupid one more time…this convo is gonna end up in the fight room because your comment is crossing the line of racist as hell.

I never understood why you always hated Trump so much. The both of you think just alike with the exact same obnoxious and bigoted attitude.
SoFloMom
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

SoFloMom wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:34 pm

SMH.
Did you know the largest Civil Rights Protest of the 1960s happened in New York City to protest school segregation?

My grandparents were Black and lived in the North during the 50s and 60s. They’re no longer living, but they would most definitely disagree with your assertion that southern states were the problem in the 50s and 60s.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

SMH.

My grandparents were Black and lived in the North during the 60s. They’re no longer living, but they would most definitely disagree with your assertion that southern states were the problem in the 50s and 60s.
I have heard the same from that generation. My grandmother (in law) moved up north thinking life would be so much better and it was basically exchanging one hell for another.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:06 pm
Lemons wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:01 pm

I don’t know what that means. Regarding North and Southern states? Where you just found out about sundown towns or where I don’t agree that the North was just as bad?
It means that this is not a pissing match between the north and south.
You have had 2 black members correct you and our families were directly impacted.

Learn from it and move on because you have no clue what it’s like to be Black in this damn country and you’re out of line for trying to push your agenda off on me or any other Black person because I’m not dancing to the beat of your drum.

Bottom line, you are loud and wrong. The north has never been some promise land for Black people and they are just as sick of white liberals shit too because that’s all this has ever been about with you,

It’s inbred ignorant and you’re too smart for this crap..
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:36 pm

Am I arguing with you about white life up north? No. YOU are arguing with ME about Black people when YOU are not Black.

Lemons, you call me fuckin stupid one more time…this convo is gonna end up in the fight room because your comment is crossing the line of racist as hell.

I never understood why you always hated Trump so much. The both of you think just alike with the exact same obnoxious and bigoted attitude.
If you stop flying off the handle so easily and calling me racist when you don’t agree we don’t have to fight.

And you were arguing about the North being as bad as the South during the civil rights movement. It’s just not true and I don’t have a love of the North like you do of,the South. I could tell you about racism in the North and how it differed but you don’t listen.
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:47 pm
SouthernIslander wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:06 pm

It means that this is not a pissing match between the north and south.
You have had 2 black members correct you and our families were directly impacted.

Learn from it and move on because you have no clue what it’s like to be Black in this damn country and you’re out of line for trying to push your agenda off on me or any other Black person because I’m not dancing to the beat of your drum.

Bottom line, you are loud and wrong. The north has never been some promise land for Black people and they are just as sick of white liberals shit too because that’s all this has ever been about with you,

It’s inbred ignorant and you’re too smart for this crap..
I know how Black people have had it in this country. Shitty. Treated less than human. Labor stolen from them. Innocent men jailed by kangaroo courts. Hate for no reason except skin color.

.I don’t know about you but I didn’t grow up in a one color city , We had Black friends and boyfriends. I did not grow up in a bubble. My college roommate had to abort a wanted baby with her Black boyfriend because her racist immigrant parents would disown her and she split with her bf. This is the 80s and 90s and I saw Northern subtle racism. They don’t have confederate flags everywhere, they’re not as violent as the White Southerners, no KKK. Just a lot of people who didn’t want to live in Black neighborhoods More passive racism. Less violence.

That’s my view of Northeastern states 20 years after the Civil Rights act was passed
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

SoFloMom wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:36 pm

SMH.

My grandparents were Black and lived in the North during the 50s and 60s. They’re no longer living, but they would most definitely disagree with your assertion that southern states were the problem in the 50s and 60s.
I do know about the protests in Detroit, Chicago, New York and Boston.

The school desegregation protests were happening all over Northern cities. Segregation was against the law since the 1920’s and children were assigned to their neighborhood schools. The Black and Latino schools were underfunded and in poor condition compared to White schools in wealthier neighborhoods. They wanted fairness for all public school students.

It was a peaceful protest and NYC still has the same problem. They have excellent high school exam schools that most Black students can’t get in because of the lousy elementary schools. It’s all about who has the money.
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:29 pm
Lemons wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:14 pm
Thelma Harper wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:35 pm

You, my Yankee dear, are a bigot, lol. Yes, you may "hear" that in a southern female voice.
When you disagree or don’t even understand an ignorant person starts name calling.

You come on here constantly bashing and berating the south after multiple users have said something to you about your bigoted attitude towards the south.

Multiple people have told you how offensive it is… but heaven forbid someone does it to you?

You are a bigot. If you don’t like the name, change your offensive behavior.
So my believing that Southern Whites were the worst, that’s “bashing”?

Posting a link to an article is backing? Is that bashing?

“ Mississippi occupies a distinct and dramatic place in the history of America's civil rights movement. No state in the South was more resistant to the struggle for black equality. No place was more violent. As historian David Oshinsky writes: "The codes of honor and vengeance, the effects of poverty, ignorance, and isolation had all left their bloody mark. Mississippians earned less, killed more, and died younger than other Americans.
Likewise, Mississippi set the trend in racial oppression. As historian Charles Payne recounts in detail, the state had the highest rate of lynchings, recording 539 between the end of Reconstruction and the early 1960s. Historian Neil McMillen describes Mississippi as the most "racially restrictive state" in the South, though one with comparatively few Jim Crow segregation laws“

Black people were brave to go up against this. They had no one on their side. And they won. Racism is everywhere but the violence was down south

Here is a link to information on the leaders of the Civil Rights movement who were murdered. https://www.splcenter.org/what-we-do/ci ... ts-martyrs
Locked Previous topicNext topic