Florida textbook altered to remove references to Rosa Parks’s race: report

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:27 pm
WellPreserved wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:21 am
BobCobbMagob wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:39 am

So is Elon Musk an African American? He was born and raised in Africa…
"Black or African American – A person having origins in any of the Black racial groups of Africa"

https://census.gov/
The problem is, this definition is based on America’s flawed perception of diversity because PJ’s point is valid.
African - American doesn’t always mean the person’s race is Black and people born on Africa shouldn’t be told how to identity based on America’s standards IMHO.

Everyone self identifies differently but that’s why a lot of people prefer Black over African-American because there is some gray area there.

The issue with this story is DeSantis’ intent. He is being a racist and disrespectful sick bag by removing Rosa Park’s race. I don’t have a problem if she was referred to as African -American or Black…it’s the fact that her race wasn’t mentioned at all is the problem.
I'm just posting the criteria on the census so for those purposes, Elon Musk wouldn't "qualify" but I don't care what he calls himself either.

Just to add, that in 10 years of living in various countries in Africa, I never heard one white person refer to themselves as "African" (or Zambian, Zimbabwean, etc.) but rather they always referred to themselves by heritage country, i.e., Dutch, British, etc.). Interestingly, in Zambia and Zimbabwe, many whites would refer to themselves as Rhodesian to indicate that they had been there since it was a British Colony but they didn't consider themselves natives of the country just colonizers, if that makes sense.

Among the Black people I know, it seems as if the younger generations prefer Black and the older generation prefers African American so I imagine that eventually African American terminology will phase out.

Totally agree with DeSantis' intent and "disrespectful sick bag" is being kind. Just to add, Elon Musk referring to himself as an African American didn't start until Desantis stated this:

So I don't think it's said with a sense of pride of heritage but a poke at the Black community.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:57 pm

"Black or African American – A person having origins in any of the Black racial groups of Africa"

The problem is, this definition is based on America’s flawed perception of diversity because PJ’s point is valid.
African - American doesn’t always mean the person’s race is Black and people born on Africa shouldn’t be told how to identity based on America’s standards IMHO.

Everyone self identifies differently but that’s why a lot of people prefer Black over African-American because there is some gray area there.

The issue with this story is DeSantis’ intent. He is being a racist and disrespectful sick bag by removing Rosa Park’s race. I don’t have a problem if she was referred to as African -American or Black…it’s the fact that her race wasn’t mentioned at all is the problem.
I'm just posting the criteria on the census so for those purposes, Elon Musk wouldn't "qualify" but I don't care what he calls himself either.

Just to add, that in 10 years of living in various countries in Africa, I never heard one white person refer to themselves as "African" (or Zambian, Zimbabwean, etc.) but rather they always referred to themselves by heritage country, i.e., Dutch, British, etc.). Interestingly, in Zambia and Zimbabwe, many whites would refer to themselves as Rhodesian to indicate that they had been there since it was a British Colony but they didn't consider themselves natives of the country just colonizers, if that makes sense.

Among the Black people I know, it seems as if the younger generations prefer Black and the older generation prefers African American so I imagine that eventually African American terminology will phase out.

Totally agree with DeSantis' intent and "disrespectful sick bag" is being kind. Just to add, Elon Musk referring to himself as an African American didn't start until Desantis stated this:

So I don't think it's said with a sense of pride of heritage but a poke at the Black community.
I haven’t met a shitload of white peoples from Africa, so my experience definitely might not be in large numbers.

I don’t have a problem with what Musk calls himself either but I do have a problem with him doing it to troll Black people.

DeSantis was a typo…I meant dick bag. I dislike him more than Trump and I didn’t think that was possible.
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

jessilin0113 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:43 pm
Lemons wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:22 am This is the oddest part ….

“ the second version eliminated almost every direct mention of race. Instead, the lessons were changed to say it was illegal for “men of certain groups” to be unemployed and that “certain groups of people” were not allowed to serve on a jury.”

Just when you think Florida can’t get worse. There are still “certain groups of people” who can’t serve on juries. It teaches them nothing.
What are the teachers supposed to say when the kids ask what those certain groups were?
They are supposed to be teaching facts so they can show the signs all over the South that said “No colored allowed”, or “No dogs, negroes or Mexicans”. I don’t even know how this is suddenly an issue
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:17 pm
Lemons wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:22 am This is the oddest part ….

“ the second version eliminated almost every direct mention of race. Instead, the lessons were changed to say it was illegal for “men of certain groups” to be unemployed and that “certain groups of people” were not allowed to serve on a jury.”

Just when you think Florida can’t get worse. There are still “certain groups of people” who can’t serve on juries. It teaches them nothing.
What are the teachers supposed to say when the kids ask what those certain groups were?
They are supposed to be teaching facts so they can show the signs all over the South that said “No colored allowed”, or “No dogs, negroes or Mexicans”. I don’t even know how this is suddenly an issue
They should be teaching facts about the history of racism all over this country… not just the south.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:04 pm

They should be teaching facts about the history of racism all over this country… not just the south.
Agree. I was just reading this morning an article about Sundown Towns. Admittedly, I was surprised to read that they were much more prevalent in the North than in the South because I had unintentionally fallen into the trap of thinking that somehow one side was better than the other when it came to racism.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:30 pm
Thelma Harper wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:07 pm
Pjmm wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:54 pm

That’s fine with me. DeSantis however is still an idiot. He’s controlling, judgmental, and probably is scared he’s secretly gay. Or is and can’t handle it. I’m also positive he doesn’t care about Florida he just wants to make the conservative right happy. But as far as the language change I think it’s up to African Americans themselves to say what they think.
He's building a house of cards with some of these bills as they are liable to be stopped by an appeals court. I think the woke one already has.

Did you hear about FAMU?
I heard DeSantis pissed off HBCUs and Black Greek but I haven’t had time to read about the controversy.

What the hell happened?
He did. https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watc ... -campuses/

However, it seems it has been resolved for now. https://wusfnews.wusf.usf.edu/politics- ... er-ed-bill
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

He's what my dad called a "BLIBBIT". It's 10 pounds of shit in a 5 pound bag.

I have some friends in SA and they refer to themselves as Rhodesian.
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Thelma Harper wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:51 pm

He's what my dad called a "BLIBBIT". It's 10 pounds of shit in a 5 pound bag.

I have some friends in SA and they refer to themselves as Rhodesian.
I like BLIBBIT!

Your friends are probably British descent and probably refer to Blacks in South Africa as Bantu which is not a slur but rather a descriptor of "native" South Africans as Bantu is/was the largest tribal group in SA. African ethnic groups are super complicated and it's hard to try to translate to US racial groupings.

I was born in Kenya and have spent more time on the African continent than Musk but I feel that it would be offensive to refer to myself as an African-American. Musk can do what he wants to do but I'm free to think of him as a turd.
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I’m sorry, I thought that was a given that every state is teaching about racism and the civil rights movements and Rosa Parks and MLK and everything else. It’s American history not Southern history. Now it looks like some states don’t want to teach about our history of racism.
I am actually surprised how many states are banning critical race theory. We were discussing Florida because they keep crossing lines and are preventing teachers from honestly teaching racism by forcing them to remove facts significant to the history.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:47 pm

I’m sorry, I thought that was a given that every state is teaching about racism and the civil rights movements and Rosa Parks and MLK and everything else. It’s American history not Southern history. Now it looks like some states don’t want to teach about our history of racism.
I am actually surprised how many states are banning critical race theory. We were discussing Florida because they keep crossing lines and are preventing teachers from honestly teaching racism by forcing them to remove facts significant to the history.
It’s much different when you have a pattern of being bigoted towards the south. There isn’t a state in this country ready to teach Black history accurately because too much of it is based on political leaning and other BS that has nothing to do with it.
Locked Previous topicNext topic