Content creators are filling the gap on Black, LGBTQ history

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

"As states look to restrict the teaching of race, gender identity and sexuality, social media content creators have stepped in to fill the gap.

Platforms like TikTok and Instagram have become an alternative resource to share histories that many never learned about in school."

https://thehill.com/homenews/3845948-co ... t-history/
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

I've noticed that and have followed some of the twitter creators. Also saw that a publishing company (can't remember the name) is offering books to families in Florida for free (1619 Project being one of them). My issue is that parents who wish their children to learn about African American history will and would have always sought out resources. Parents who would prefer their children not learn AA history will prevent their children from having access and frankly, these are the children who most need the access. I can't imagine a parent who objects to books about Hank Aaron and Roberto Clemente (recently banned in Duval County) is going to seek out other resources. It's sad. Really, really sad.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
jessilin0113
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Honestly, tik tok probably has more sway over kids than schools so good for them.
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

I don't know...

As someone who has both teens, and teens with Tik toc,

It's not really somewhere to get knowledge from.

I actively teach them.that anything they see on there should be thought of as stupid.
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

BobCobbMagob wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:27 pm I don't know...

I actively teach them.that anything they see on there should be thought of as stupid.
I agree. There will be “creators” who will pass around misinformation for their own agenda. I would want to know their expertise. There are so many excellent sources out there.
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:51 pm I've noticed that and have followed some of the twitter creators. Also saw that a publishing company (can't remember the name) is offering books to families in Florida for free (1619 Project being one of them). My issue is that parents who wish their children to learn about African American history will and would have always sought out resources. Parents who would prefer their children not learn AA history will prevent their children from having access and frankly, these are the children who most need the access. I can't imagine a parent who objects to books about Hank Aaron and Roberto Clemente (recently banned in Duval County) is going to seek out other resources. It's sad. Really, really sad.
What’s wrong with reading about Hank Aarons and Roberto Clemente? I mean what is their problem?
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:52 pm
WellPreserved wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:51 pm I've noticed that and have followed some of the twitter creators. Also saw that a publishing company (can't remember the name) is offering books to families in Florida for free (1619 Project being one of them). My issue is that parents who wish their children to learn about African American history will and would have always sought out resources. Parents who would prefer their children not learn AA history will prevent their children from having access and frankly, these are the children who most need the access. I can't imagine a parent who objects to books about Hank Aaron and Roberto Clemente (recently banned in Duval County) is going to seek out other resources. It's sad. Really, really sad.
What’s wrong with reading about Hank Aarons and Roberto Clemente? I mean what is their problem?
They had to overcome prejudices and that might make some white kids sad?
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:14 pm
Oh FFS. If people can’t stand the idea of reporting on what racism did to people and how minority people survived it and thrived then that’s sad. These stories can be applied to anyone facing any type of adversity and succeeding despite the hate trying to block them. Hank Aaron’s story is remarkable. I don’t know who Roberto Clemente is. Maybe the first Latino coming from the islands.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:28 pm
WellPreserved wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:14 pm

Oh FFS. If people can’t stand the idea of reporting on what racism did to people and how minority people survived it and thrived then that’s sad. These stories can be applied to anyone facing any type of adversity and succeeding despite the hate trying to block them. Hank Aaron’s story is remarkable. I don’t know who Roberto Clemente is. Maybe the first Latino coming from the islands.
https://www.audacy.com/national/sports/ ... om-schools
306/232

Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

BobCobbMagob wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:27 pm I don't know...

Is or was your husband a flat bed truck driver?
306/232

Locked Previous topicNext topic