Georgia’s Herschel Walker getting ‘homestead’ tax break in Texas

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

"Republican Senate nominee Herschel Walker (Ga.) benefits from a tax exemption on his Texas home although the GOP candidate lives in Georgia, where he is running for public office.

The tax exemption is meant for primary residents in Texas, but for 2022, Walker will get a $1,500 homestead exemption at his Dallas area home, CNN reported."

(...)

"The exemption also raises questions about Walker’s candidacy, as the U.S. Constitution requires Senate candidates to live in the state they are running for."

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/3 ... -in-texas/
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
mcginnisc
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Ugh...I wish he would just go away..It never fails on the articles here, people go to the : He played for UGA so you have to vote for him schtick. No..just no. That is not a reason to vote for someone. I'm a huge UGA fan. I remember when he won the Heisman in 1980, but..I did not vote for him the first time and I won't vote for him on the 6th regardless of the fact that he played for UGA 40+ years ago.
The thing that kills me about this is the same people that bitched about Stacey Abrams not living in GA for a while are now ignoring the fact that Walker has been living in Dallas for years and did not come back to GA until he was going to make a run for the Senate. It's hypocritical at best.
Claire
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
Carpy
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Is he married?
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Carpy wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:52 amIs he married?
The house is in his name only.
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

I don’t think he would have gotten as far but I’m just glad he decided not to run in Texas.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

https://heavy.com/news/julie-blanchard- ... lker-wife/

I didn’t know but he is and first impression of the wife isn’t good. Lol
Carpy
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Thelma Harper wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:28 pm
The house is in his name only.
Was just curious because I'm a Michigan resident and the "78 F***ing years old" man is Indiana so we are homesteaded in both.
hotspice58
Regent
Regent

Unread post

His marital status is irrelevant. If he’s running for Georgia, he ought to live in Georgia.
Deleted User 2088

Unread post

I don't know much about this dude but how long has he lived in Georgia? Or does he not live there full time? I believe you can keep your homestead exemption in Texas for up to 2 years if you do not establish a primary residence anywhere else and if you intend to move back.

So, he may not be doing anything illegal or unethical. IDK. I guess what I'm curious about is if he owns a home in Georgia and if he has a homestead exemption on that property also? If so, that does seem unethical to me. Primary residence means one. I know some people spend six months on, six months off, but I think you should only be able to claim to have one primary residence.

And really, do people want an elected official who doesn't even live in the area full time?
mcginnisc
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

What I find funny about all of this is that all of the conservatives that flipped out about Stacey Abrams running for governor and had not been living in GA for years are now all supporting Walker in this latest debacle. It's quite humorous to see as I live here and have witnessed all of this insanity.
Claire
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
Locked Previous topicNext topic