Another mass shooting at a Walmart in Virginia

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

SoFloMom wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:17 pm
Thelma Harper wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:18 am "CHESAPEAKE, Va. – Authorities investigating the fatal shootings of six people at a Walmart said that the shooter bought the gun just hours before and left a note with grievances against coworkers on his phone."
I know nothing about gun purchases.
Do states not have waiting periods for guns? Similar to how some states have the 24 hour waiting period to get an abortion.
"Just nine states and Washington, D.C., have explicit waiting periods before people can purchase at least some types of firearms. The restrictions can give authorities more time to conduct background checks and keep impulsive, emotional people from immediately accessing weapons they might use to kill themselves or others, according to the Giffords Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence.

The federal government has no waiting period. A bill that passed the Democrat-led U.S. House last year would extend the review period for background checks from three days to 10, but it’s opposed by Republicans and is not part of current negotiations in the Senate..."

https://fortune.com/2022/06/05/gun-purc ... overnment/
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Carpy
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Thelma Harper wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:08 am
Carpy wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 5:26 am
Thelma Harper wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:22 pm

You base this on nothing more than a theory supported by conservatives not history.😋

“The rights of persons that are commanded to be observed by the municipal law are of two sorts,” “First, such as are due from every citizen, which are usually called civic duties; and second, such as belong to him, which is the more popular acceptance of rights … reciprocally, the rights as well as the duties of each other.”

~ Sir William Blackstone, the eminence grise of Anglo-American legal scholarship.
Like I said. Read the writings. Otherwise throw the whole bill of rights into the toilet and flush.
Which ones, specifically?
I'll link you when I have time.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Carpy wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:12 pm
Thelma Harper wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:10 pm
Carpy wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 6:41 pm

Is it a federal offense to drive if you have a felony? A domestic violence conviction?
The second amendment wasn't written to be able to hunt.
You base this on the theory of originalism. A theory not based in history.
Read the founders writings.
When framing the second amendment, didn't the founding fathers see citizen gun ownership and militias as being in lieu of rather than addition to a standing army? Didn't they also see it as necessary for the protection of white citizens against Blacks and Native Americans (citizens serve as police)? As we now have a huge standing army and police force, isn't it now irrelevant?
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
SallyMae
Regent
Regent

Unread post

You base this on nothing more than a theory supported by conservatives not history.😋

“The rights of persons that are commanded to be observed by the municipal law are of two sorts,” “First, such as are due from every citizen, which are usually called civic duties; and second, such as belong to him, which is the more popular acceptance of rights … reciprocally, the rights as well as the duties of each other.”

~ Sir William Blackstone, the eminence grise of Anglo-American legal scholarship.
Like I said. Read the writings. Otherwise throw the whole bill of rights into the toilet and flush.
It's not all or nothing. We should keep what works and fix what doesn't.
Carpy
Regent
Regent

Unread post

The whole would logically imply all of them.
Carpy
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

And you seriously don’t see that as a problem? As long as guns are glorified as symbols of a “constitutional right”, there will be this kind of gun violence.
THAT is the main issue: seeing guns as a “right” instead of a privilege.
Carpy wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:05 pm
PoplarGrove wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:07 pm
Carpy wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:59 pm

What do you consider easy?

Editing to add my dad walked into a hardware in 1927 and paid 50cents and walked out with his first gun. He was 12.
Not having to pass a firearms course, have a license to possess a weapon or undergo a psych evaluation to have a license to possess handguns and semi automatic weapons makes it a whole lot easier to acquire a gun in America. It's harder to acquire a drivers license than it is to buy a gun.
Driving is a privilege. Owning a gun is a constitutional right.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

It’s not all or nothing. The Constitution was written by men, it’s not above scrutiny. If certain laws need to be revised to suit a different time, then it’s valid. It doesn’t mean throwing the whole thing away.

❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Carpy wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:58 pm

You're not even going to offer one example?
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Carpy
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Thelma Harper wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:09 am
Carpy wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:58 pm

You're not even going to offer one example?
Do people not know the bill of rghts?

Security for me but not for thee?
Locked Previous topicNext topic