Report: Student removed from school after refusing to do controversial assignment

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

DSamuels wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:39 am
SouthernIslander wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:26 am OH WOW!!!

Blessing in disguise…stories like this is exposing the severe problem the south has with spiritual abuse because it has gone on behind closed doors for much too long.

I would be so ever-loving mad and ready to do time if a school ever asked my step kids or any other kid in my family to send them bathtub pictures and used the Bible to justify making such an inappropriate request.

I don’t blame the parents at all and commend them for handing this peacefully.
They didn’t want pictures of kids taking a bath. The teacher said to wear pajamas, school uniform, whatever clothes they wanted and have fun with it. The assignment has been given for years and they were the first family to complain.

I think it’s odd too, but not as bad as it sounds once explained.
I took into consideration that the kids would be fully clothed but it didn’t make me feel better about this honestly. Kids should be discouraged from sending adults pictures of them in such a private and personal space. Also, I find it odd too.which is another red flag.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Thelma Harper wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:40 am

Blessing in disguise…stories like this is exposing the severe problem the south has with spiritual abuse because it has gone on behind closed doors for much too long.

I would be so ever-loving mad and ready to do time if a school ever asked my step kids or any other kid in my family to send them bathtub pictures and used the Bible to justify making such an inappropriate request.

I'm still trying to make the connection between Psalm 24-1,2 and the bathtub. I agree with you,as usual, 😉

1 The earth is the Lord’s, and everything in it,
the world, and all who live in it;
2 for he founded it on the seas
and established it on the waters.
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?s ... ersion=NIV

I am guessing the whole sea and water thing.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Thelma Harper wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:11 am
Pjmm wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:03 am
Thelma Harper wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:48 am

What is the connection between Psalm 24-1,2 and the bathtub?
I don’t think there is one. Just a list of exercises. I think it’s weird but maybe the teacher thought if she did homework in a bathtub it would be fun and she’s more likely to do it? I wouldn’t have liked it either. My tub needs to be replaced and it just seems an odd assignment even with clothes.
I went to a private parochial school and that would have been outlandish. I can't imagine how many children found this an odd assignment. But this is what scholarships like McKay do for education.

As an aside, I attended their church for a while as a child (with my mom). It was one that lead to my becoming nonreligious.
My son was eligible for the McKay. I never used it. All the private schools here were Christian and idk what they would do that public didn’t. I could have sent him to the Catholic school (I think they have a good educational system). But religious study would’ve been interesting. I can hear the principal now: “your son just told Sister the entire Christ story was the most ridiculous thing he’s ever heard…” And yes he told me that once as a teen. He straight up told me he didn’t want to go to a religious school. As for the post, even for Jacksonville that’s a strange assignment.
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Thelma Harper wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:48 am
DSamuels wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:39 am

They didn’t want pictures of kids taking a bath. The teacher said to wear pajamas, school uniform, whatever clothes they wanted and have fun with it. The assignment has been given for years and they were the first family to complain.

I think it’s odd too, but not as bad as it sounds once explained.
What is the connection between Psalm 24-1,2 and the bathtub?
There isn’t one. The Psalms is the scripture they have to memorize for the week.

I’m on the fence on this. I think it’s odd that no other parents have questioned the assignment. It doesn’t state clothed so I would be surprised if no other parents have questioned it. Even clothed though, in this day and age, I can understand not wanting a child to do the assignment. I think it’s extreme to kick the child out. They could have given alternatives like taking a picture of child doing reading homework at a park, on a swing, laying on a trampoline, etc etc IF it’s to be fun.
SoFloMom
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I’m trying really hard to see the justification and need to include that in the lesson. There’s no connection to the psalm. It’s totally bizarre and inappropriate.
This seems like a private religious school. Unfortunately those private schools can create any type of lessons they want, with no rhyme or reason, as well as kick any student out for whatever they want.
Had this happened at a public school, heads would be rolling and the teacher would be called a “groomer” 🙄
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

I wouldn’t want my kid in that red flagging school anyways…
Deleted User 1977

Unread post

It is an odd assignment and in today's world, there are good reasons why parent's should be on alert, especially when a picture is asked for.

If they were removed from the school by the administration, I would think there is possibly more to the story.
RIZZY1
Countess
Countess

Unread post

After reading the explanation, it does not sound as bad as it did originally. I still think it's odd to ask for a picture. Kids shouldn't be taught to take pictures in the bathroom, especially to send to an adult. One of the articles I read about this said that it is part of an "Extreme reading challenge" where they are encouraging kids to read in a variety of settings, so that makes sense. Still, they could have just had the parents sign off that the kid did read in the bathtub.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

RIZZY1 wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:42 pm After reading the explanation, it does not sound as bad as it did originally. I still think it's odd to ask for a picture. Kids shouldn't be taught to take pictures in the bathroom, especially to send to an adult. One of the articles I read about this said that it is part of an "Extreme reading challenge" where they are encouraging kids to read in a variety of settings, so that makes sense. Still, they could have just had the parents sign off that the kid did read in the bathtub.
I agree. Or they could have allowed the kid to do the "extreme reading" in an alternate location. I think it's a bad message to send to an 8-year-old that if you express discomfort with a school assignment, you may be expelled.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

OK, so, even before reading the article and just reading the homework list - my immediate thought was "ok, I'll take a pic of her in the dry tub fully clothed, done". Because really, it doesn't say anything about being naked and it doesn't say anything about water. It just says "in the tub". And without more info, I'm guessing it's a lesson in "read the words that are there, don't read more into it". A lesson that I think every single human being could use over and over and over again.

I can't criticize the school or the teacher without knowing more about the intention behind the assignment.
Locked Previous topicNext topic