Grand Jury declines to indict woman in Emmett Till case.

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

SoFloMom wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:54 pm This decision is so wrong. What she did and her role in his murder is well documented. Emmett Till’s family was robbed and continues to be robbed of justice. I hate this.
To add, you can’t spit wrong in Mississippi without everyone knowing it long before the days of the internet and these weren’t crimes that they tried to cover up like people do now. Just about all of them bragged about what they did and it was all very well documented.

There is absolute no excuse for it.
jessilin0113
Regent
Regent

Unread post

mcginnisc wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:04 pm
jessilin0113 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:18 pm I am truly so torn on this. What this woman did was absolutely appalling and I only wish she would have been charged all those years ago. Anything now feels like too little, too late, and despite the horrific thing that she did, which I do not mean to undermine or excuse, the fact is it just simply does not sit right with me to change someone this late who is in that condition. Ugh, the whole thing just makes me sick to my stomach.
Did you also have an issue with the man that just went to jail for being a Nazi and his crimes? If you were ok with that and have an issue with this..I just cannot understand. She lied and this young 14 year old boy was beaten and killed...so abhorrently that he could barely be identified.
This is a miscarriage of justice for the Till family. Period. Racism is disgusting and declining to indict this racist woman is awful.
I do (about the Nazi). It's not that I don't think people should be punished and it's not that I don't understand what she did to Emmett Till. I absolutely do not want to downplay that, although I am aware it will seem like I am. I just think at this point...I don't know. Just all around terrible.
mcginnisc
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

jessilin0113 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:36 pm
jessilin0113 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:18 pm I am truly so torn on this. What this woman did was absolutely appalling and I only wish she would have been charged all those years ago. Anything now feels like too little, too late, and despite the horrific thing that she did, which I do not mean to undermine or excuse, the fact is it just simply does not sit right with me to change someone this late who is in that condition. Ugh, the whole thing just makes me sick to my stomach.
Did you also have an issue with the man that just went to jail for being a Nazi and his crimes? If you were ok with that and have an issue with this..I just cannot understand. She lied and this young 14 year old boy was beaten and killed...so abhorrently that he could barely be identified.
This is a miscarriage of justice for the Till family. Period. Racism is disgusting and declining to indict this racist woman is awful.
I do (about the Nazi). It's not that I don't think people should be punished and it's not that I don't understand what she did to Emmett Till. I absolutely do not want to downplay that, although I am aware it will seem like I am. I just think at this point...I don't know. Just all around terrible.
Going after this witch that lied and caused the death of a 14 year old boy is terrible all these years later?.
Umm...no. She should be held accountable for her actions. All of these people bitch about people not taking accountability for what they do- politicians, celebs...apparently, that does not translate to those that caused the death of someone of another race. I've got nothing...nothing at all.
Claire
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

I understand what you meant, it’s not a neat cookie cutter answer unfortunately. I always sit on the side of the fence with the family who wants to see justice but on the other hand, it is still a slap in the face because they go to jail for a few years after living their full life, so it still doesn’t feel like justice or vindication.

It really is a god awful situation that can’t be fixed. Nothing will ever make that right.
jessilin0113
Regent
Regent

Unread post

mcginnisc wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:35 pm

Going after this witch that lied and caused the death of a 14 year old boy is terrible all these years later?.
Umm...no. She should be held accountable for her actions. All of these people bitch about people not taking accountability for what they do- politicians, celebs...apparently, that does not translate to those that caused the death of someone of another race. I've got nothing...nothing at all.
I guess it's just that putting a terminally ill old woman in prison this long after the fact doesn't feel like justice or accountability. Just revenge. Some other punishment, sure (and know that I'm generally anti-prison for most things), although what that would look like at this point, I don't know.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

mcginnisc wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:35 pm

I have always been vocal about incredibly strong I feel about Till’s case and this isn’t how I interpreted Jess’ comments. I didn’t read that like she thinks holding the woman accountable is terrible because the rules don’t apply since she killed somebody Black. That reads a little extreme to me.

Locking up a 90 year old cancer patient who has lived her full life as she pleased is throwing a crumb of closure. It will never be accountability. It’s never too late IMHO but it’s a token gesture at best.

While I support whatever Till’s family wants, but Jess isn’t exactly wrong either.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Ugh. I don't even know what I feel when it comes to prosecution of Emmett Till's murderers. The grace that his family, especially Rev Wheeler Parker, Jr. has shown is honorable - don't think I would have that grace. This entire case has been horrific and so far unjustly prosecuted. It deserves to be heard in court. If the outcome is not what people want or deserve, so be it. It should still be heard. This is painful for the family of Emmett Till as well as painful for the entirety of the African American community. For God's sake prosecute! I really don't understand why not.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Here's my question as I haven't really followed this particular woman's story. Has she ever, in all these years, voiced any kind of regret or remorse for her part in Emmett's death? Or does she maintain to the bitter end that she never did anything wrong?

Because for me personally, the answer to that makes a difference on how I feel on this Grand Jury decision.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Traci_Momof2 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:39 pm Here's my question as I haven't really followed this particular woman's story. Has she ever, in all these years, voiced any kind of regret or remorse for her part in Emmett's death? Or does she maintain to the bitter end that she never did anything wrong?

Because for me personally, the answer to that makes a difference on how I feel on this Grand Jury decision.
She said nothing justified what happened to Till and admitted to lying. I think has a memoir that can’t be published until after she passes, so more truth may come out.

She hasn’t made a lot of public statements, so that’s all I have ever really heard of. Those families have lived in hiding since everything happened, so it’s been bits and pieces over the years.
Locked Previous topicNext topic