Albert Woodfox, Survivor of 42 Years in Solitary Confinement, Dies at 75

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

"Albert Woodfox, who spent 42 years in solitary confinement — possibly more time than any other prisoner in all of American history — yet emerged to win acclaim with a memoir that declared his spirit unbroken, died on Thursday in New Orleans. He was 75.

His lead lawyer, George Kendall, said the cause was Covid-19. Mr. Kendall added that Mr. Woodfox also had a number of pre-existing organ conditions.

Mr. Woodfox was placed in solitary confinement in 1972 after being accused of murdering Brent Miller, a 23-year-old corrections officer. A tangled legal ordeal ensued, including two convictions, both overturned, and three indictments stretching over four decades."

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/05/us/a ... &smtyp=cur

His book, "Solitary" was a heartbreaking and powerful read.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
hotspice58
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Damn. That’s inhumane.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

hotspice58 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:44 pm Damn. That’s inhumane.
I don’t believe in solitary confinement in general. It’s cruel, inhumane, and creates a person who is even more ill equipped to function in society afterwards. As bad as hanging or the guillotine was at least it was somewhat swift and far less suffering. If a prisoner can’t be in general population because they’re too violent and can’t be rehabilitated maybe they have to be kept apart. But I’d still seek to find ways for them to see others even if it’s just a few hours a day. Solitary confinement is awful.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

I can't speak for the families of the victims because IDK if I'd feel the same way if I were in their shoes. But in general, I don't agree with solitary confinement. Now that we are raising awareness on mental illness, it's time that we start owning how inhumane this is.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Pjmm wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:16 pm
hotspice58 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:44 pm Damn. That’s inhumane.
I don’t believe in solitary confinement in general. It’s cruel, inhumane, and creates a person who is even more ill equipped to function in society afterwards. As bad as hanging or the guillotine was at least it was somewhat swift and far less suffering. If a prisoner can’t be in general population because they’re too violent and can’t be rehabilitated maybe they have to be kept apart. But I’d still seek to find ways for them to see others even if it’s just a few hours a day. Solitary confinement is awful.
You are exactly right. Now that I am older, a lot of my peers who made bad decisions in our youth are getting out of jail and are ravaged with mental illness due to trauma (solitary confinement, rape, etc) in prison.

It really is horrible and needs to change..
SallyMae
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Locked Previous topicNext topic