Oregon wildfires: Woman seen holding suspected arsonist at gunpoint

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
MistressMonster
Sour Grapes
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Pjmm wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:14 pm So a man will get shot just for carrying matches? I mean whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty? Sure question the man or call the police but Jesus some people are getting a bit unhinged. Its not like he walked along with a can of gasoline and a propane torch.
Like I said in my earlier reply. Country people get real touchy about strangers encroaching on their property. He was on private property. He was most likely looking to steal stuff. But he was barking up the wrong tree.

I can remember hubby who grew up in Southern Oregon pointing out areas he knew people from. Some real backwoods hillbilly types. Who would shoot first, and ask later. Oregon is on edge right now.
The oranges of the island are like blazing fire
Amongst the emerald boughs
And the lemons are like the paleness of a lover
Who has spent the night crying.

My soul was ripped to shreds on 10/27/14
MistressMonster
Sour Grapes
Princess
Princess

Unread post

SummerDream wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:55 pm
MistressMonster wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:23 am He looks like a meth head. Curious as to what area he's in. He's damn lucky she didn't just shoot him first, then ask questions later. These country people get really funny about "strangers" on their lands. Yes, even here in Oregon, as you can see from the video. Even I've been questioned while waiting for crews to show up when parked off to the side of the road. Once we explain what's up. They tell us to stay safe.
I read some place where she told the guy that if her husband had caught him, he would have been shot.
Wouldn't surprise me.

Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

MistressMonster wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:29 pm
Pjmm wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:14 pm So a man will get shot just for carrying matches? I mean whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty? Sure question the man or call the police but Jesus some people are getting a bit unhinged. Its not like he walked along with a can of gasoline and a propane torch.
Like I said in my earlier reply. Country people get real touchy about strangers encroaching on their property. He was on private property. He was most likely looking to steal stuff. But he was barking up the wrong tree.

I can remember hubby who grew up in Southern Oregon pointing out areas he knew people from. Some real backwoods hillbilly types. Who would shoot first, and ask later. Oregon is on edge right now.
It's kind of a shame its come to that. I mean I guess I can't blame them for being suspicious but it's still a shame
MistressMonster
Sour Grapes
Princess
Princess

Unread post

sarah824 wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:38 am
MistressMonster wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:23 am He looks like a meth head. Curious as to what area he's in. He's damn lucky she didn't just shoot him first, then ask questions later. These country people get really funny about "strangers" on their lands. Yes, even here in Oregon, as you can see from the video. Even I've been questioned while waiting for crews to show up when parked off to the side of the road. Once we explain what's up. They tell us to stay safe.
This was up by me. One of the responding cops was from Oregon City. Clackamas County was there as well...
Ahh gotcha! Glad police did respond. Btw speaking of your area. Did you see this article?

[https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... SKBN2682OF]

Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Thelma Harper wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:25 pm
Do you know any small town country people in Florida?
Sure but not the kind that are going to shoot a person just for being on their property. They might run them off or ask why they're there. I grew up in a rural town. No one I knew personally was that suspicious. I take that back. I knew one bastard that might have if he was drunk enough. That's it. Do they exist yes. Have I ran into them no. And if I did I'd say they were a bit unhinged.
Now thinking about it yes Oregon has reason to be unhinged. But I still wouldn't shoot someone just for trespassing. I guess I'd be too afraid I'd end up in jail myself
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

MistressMonster wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:37 pm
This was up by me. One of the responding cops was from Oregon City. Clackamas County was there as well...
Ahh gotcha! Glad police did respond. Btw speaking of your area. Did you see this article?

A standing ovation from Florida. That's awesome.
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
MistressMonster
Sour Grapes
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Thelma Harper wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:11 pm
MistressMonster wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:37 pm

A standing ovation from Florida. That's awesome.
We even have people age 70+ kicking ass on the fire lines.

SummerDream
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

The man was on private land. These days, many will shoot and ask questions later. Actually, I know a few, who will shoot and ask questions later. They do live in a remote area, so that may have something to do with it.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Pjmm wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:40 pm
Thelma Harper wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:25 pm
Do you know any small town country people in Florida?
Sure but not the kind that are going to shoot a person just for being on their property. They might run them off or ask why they're there. I grew up in a rural town. No one I knew personally was that suspicious. I take that back. I knew one bastard that might have if he was drunk enough. That's it. Do they exist yes. Have I ran into them no. And if I did I'd say they were a bit unhinged.
Now thinking about it yes Oregon has reason to be unhinged. But I still wouldn't shoot someone just for trespassing. I guess I'd be too afraid I'd end up in jail myself
I know a few who would shoot without question and I know quite a few who would detain trespassers with a firearm. Depending on the circumstances, I can't say I wouldn't detain a trespasser until police arrived.
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Frau Holle
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Oh stop it. Spreading bologna about how scary country people are is just a way for some people to pretend they’re better than other people.

The reason we don’t hear about people being randomly shot for trespassing everyday is because it doesn’t just happen like that.

We have much more guns than city people do, but we shoot each other at a FAR lesser rate.

Check yourselves before you judge others.
“ I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night “ - Sarah Williams
Locked Previous topicNext topic