Massive explosion in Beirut

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

He should’ve kept his mouth shut. That’s a fact. He could’ve started an international incident with his idiotic, ignorant babble.
Another example of how he’s completely incompetent for the job.
Mr.Smile wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:04 pm people were blaming Israel immediately. Most of the people blaming Israel are trump haters just like you or foreigners in the middle east. Trump has nothing to do with it. you manage to make EVERYTHING trump's fault.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:56 pm 4,000 injured. That's massive. What is ammonium nitrate used for and why did they store it for years?
Fertilizer. That's why the sale of fertilizer containing it is highly controlled.
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Someone defending Trump publicly claiming it was an attack shows that this base will accept anything from him. Scary.
Momto2boys973 wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:30 am He should’ve kept his mouth shut. That’s a fact. He could’ve started an international incident with his idiotic, ignorant babble.
Mr.Smile wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:04 pm people were blaming Israel immediately. Most of the people blaming Israel are trump haters just like you or foreigners in the middle east. Trump has nothing to do with it. you manage to make EVERYTHING trump's fault.
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I agree. I mean, if even here the guy didn’t do anything wrong then he was right about him being able to commit murder in the middle of 5th Avenue and these zombies will see nothing wrong with it.
The guy was either talking out of his ass once again trying to pretend he knows more than everybody else, which could result in an international incident if anyone else os left to take his babbling seriously. My money is on this one.
Or let’s assume he did know something about this being an attack and he can’t keep sensitive information inside the peanut he calls a brain, probably also to show how intelligent and well informed he is which again, could trigger an international incident. It wouldn’t be the first time he starts stupidly spreading secrets of national security or of other nations.
Either way, the guy’s an idiot that doesn’t know that sometimes the President has to shut his pie hole.
Lemons wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:43 pm Someone defending Trump publicly claiming it was an attack shows that this base will accept anything from him. Scary.
Momto2boys973 wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:30 am He should’ve kept his mouth shut. That’s a fact. He could’ve started an international incident with his idiotic, ignorant babble.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:52 am
Lemons wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:56 pm 4,000 injured. That's massive. What is ammonium nitrate used for and why did they store it for years?
Fertilizer. That's why the sale of fertilizer containing it is highly controlled.
Please tell me you have checked on how the AN came to be there.

Ask yourself how it was stored and the size of that building.

How large was the ship that it was on?
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

It was supposedly stored there for 6 years. You would think that if it was to make bombs to carry out terrorist attacks, it wouldn’t be sitting there for 6 years.
And things are starting to come out already:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-53683082

That’s how it ended up in that warehouse. And apparently a company in Mozambique that makes explosives for mining operations already said that they were the original final buyers of the AN, but obviously it never got to them.
Thelma Harper wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:53 pm

❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Momto2boys973 wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:31 pm It was supposedly stored there for 6 years. You would think that if it was to make bombs to carry out terrorist attacks, it wouldn’t be sitting there for 6 years.

That’s how it ended up in that warehouse. And apparently a company in Mozambique that makes explosives for mining operations already said that they were the original final buyers of the AN, but obviously it never got to them.

That still doesn't answer my questions.
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

What question didn’t it answer? You asked how it came to be there, the size of the ship and the size of the warehouse (the last 2 pretty irrelevant, large enough to accommodate that cargo, bigger things have been shipped and stored) and that’s how it came to be there, what ship it arrived in and it’s ultimate destination, which it never arrived at.
Of course there are still questions as to who exactly screwed up so badly, but that’s why it’s an ongoing investigation. It seems to be a result of gross negligence, corruption or a combination of both. But a company in Mozambique already claimed they were the buyers of that material, so no, it wasn’t Hezbollah and it wasn’t meant for terrorists attacks.
What questions exactly do you still have? Yes, there’s still questions about how it ended up swept under the rug and who is ultimately responsible for that, but we now know the origin of that material and how it ended up in Beirut and confiscated in that warehouse.

Even in the Middle East...sometimes accidents just happen.
Thelma Harper wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:06 pm
Momto2boys973 wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:31 pm It was supposedly stored there for 6 years. You would think that if it was to make bombs to carry out terrorist attacks, it wouldn’t be sitting there for 6 years.

That still doesn't answer my questions.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I didn't "check how the AN came to be there", she asked what ammonium nitrate is used for, so I told her what it's typically used for. She didn't ask what this specific shipment was intended for, so I didn't look too much into that. Looking at the news, it says that this specific shipment was originally ordered by FEM, a mining company in Mozambique, it was in a warehouse at the Beruit port six years ago after being transported there on a ship from Georgia, and it never made it the last leg of the trip. That company has come forward and confirmed that they were the ones to originally order that shipment and it is the only shipment to have never arrived. The ship made an emergency port in Beirut and the owner did not pay the port fines, so the ship was impounded and the contents were put in a warehouse. It was not stored properly, that is clear, but there has been nothing released that would suggest that it was improperly stored for a malicious reason. It's more that the government didn't want to pay the hundreds of thousands of dollars to have it transported away. It was stored in large sacks. It was a large building. I don't know why you seem to think this is so crazy, warehouses are huge.
Locked Previous topicNext topic