Religious nut Senator Tom Cotton claims slavery and holocaust were necessary

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Frau Holle wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:12 am
Look, I am sorry but at this point restitutions should be over and European countries are starting to put their foot down.

There’s been over 70 Billion given by Germany alone and countless more billions from other countries.

If there are holocaust victims living in poverty, they need to ask where all that money went.
Just curious, do you feel it should have been paid at all?
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

moviestar wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:15 am It’s true that 70% of Americans identify as Christian, but evangelicals actually only make up about a quarter of those.
Frau Holle wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:14 pm Is anything about what he said contrary to the belief of most of the country in between New York and LA?

Religious people believe that. Most of your country is religious in the evangelical way.
I think evangelicals are just louder than the rest. Plus there are a lot of them in government. It's a good ole boy network. Think Tea Party.
306/232

Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:23 am
Frau Holle wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:09 am
SouthernIslander wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:43 pm

Oh nooooooo. Normal people don’t use religion to justify horrible and inhumane acts like slavery or the holocaust.

This dude sounds crazy.
Yes, they do. I can’t even think of historically relevant inhuman acts done on a large scale level that didn’t have to do with a religious reason that allowed people to think it was ok.

I disagree. I grew up in a Bible Belt and I have never heard anyone say shit like that. Religious extremists maybe but not nearly enough to say most of our country.

Normal people don’t think like this.
Normal people, but when we look back at our history we see those who created Manifest Destiny. To me, the basics of it are still in the hearts and minds of some people.
306/232

Frau Holle
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Thelma Harper wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:11 pm
Frau Holle wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:12 am
Look, I am sorry but at this point restitutions should be over and European countries are starting to put their foot down.

There’s been over 70 Billion given by Germany alone and countless more billions from other countries.

If there are holocaust victims living in poverty, they need to ask where all that money went.
Just curious, do you feel it should have been paid at all?
I do, but the time comes for everything to end. Museums have been built, homes have been rebuilt, scholarships have been given, memorial funds, statues, retirement funds, healthcare funds, and checks written.

It’s been 75 years now, restitutions have been made.
“ I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night “ - Sarah Williams
Carpy
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Frau Holle wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:24 pm
Carpy wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:43 pm
SallyMae wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:48 pm Momto2boys973, thank you for discussing this with me because it's an important point.

I am not claiming that your beliefs are false. I am saying that they can't be proved. They could be wrong, at least in some of the details. There is no way to establish that they are 'righter' than the supernatural beliefs of others.

That doesn't mean we have no facts at all. Plenty of stuff can be proven and established. More than enough material, I would suggest, upon which to make geopolitical decisions about who lives and who dies.

How much more unresolvable conflict should we have for supernatural claims that *could* be wrong?

What I think you fail to understand is that the quest for power is the goal, religion in one for or another is just the weapon.
Yes, But it's all the same thing.

Does a country win a war, or do the weapons they use enable them to win ?
Huh?
Mommamia
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:59 pm
Aletheia wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:12 pm
Lemons wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:04 pm Of the Jewish Holocaust Cotton told the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette:
Ignoring the issue of whether the creation of the state of Israel now (instead of, say, in 500 years time) is sufficiently important to justify committing the Holocaust, were that an EITHER / OR choice, and that even the Jews wouldn't agree it was a good trade...

he's wrong from a logical point of view. It would only count as "necessary" in order to achieve it if it could have been achieved in no other possible way. And there are many possible ways it could have been achieved by an omnipotent deity who has (on occasion, it is claimed) taken a direct hand in things, destroying whole cities and manipulating the thoughts of leaders (such as Egypt's Pharaoh).
The most reprehensible piece of this is Cotton believed it was a necessary evil to get the Jews back there for the sole purpose of the Christian's savior reappearing.

Trump, who doesn't give a shit about anyone, put the embassy in Jerusalem for the sole purpose of pleasing and keeping his voters. The extreme religious views are that there will be a second coming of Christ and that everyone will perish except the chosen Christians and only the Jews who have converted to Christianity will be saved. Yeah, they love the Jews for keeping Israel safe while they wait for Jesus.
Who the hell do you think you are to insult Christians or anyone's religious beliefs? You obviously know nothing about Christian beliefs. You are vile and nasty, and need to shut the hell up.
Aletheia
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Mommamia wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:17 pm
Lemons wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:59 pm The extreme religious views are that there will be a second coming of Christ and that everyone will perish except the chosen Christians and only the Jews who have converted to Christianity will be saved. Yeah, they love the Jews for keeping Israel safe while they wait for Jesus.
Who the hell do you think you are to insult Christians or anyone's religious beliefs? You obviously know nothing about Christian beliefs.
She didn't insult all Christians. She specified the sub-set who are extremists.

Have a read of:

https://www.globalministries.org/mee_re ... nism_koshy

John Hagee
Aletheia
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Frau Holle wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:27 pm
Lemons wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:04 pm Of the Jewish Holocaust Cotton told the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette:
Ignoring the issue of whether the creation of the state of Israel now (instead of, say, in 500 years time) is sufficiently important to justify committing the Holocaust, were that an EITHER / OR choice, and that even the Jews wouldn't agree it was a good trade...

he's wrong from a logical point of view. It would only count as "necessary" in order to achieve it if it could have been achieved in no other possible way. And there are many possible ways it could have been achieved by an omnipotent deity who has (on occasion, it is claimed) taken a direct hand in things, destroying whole cities and manipulating the thoughts of leaders (such as Egypt's Pharaoh).
He is of the faith that everything happens for a reason and God set into motion those reasons.
So everything in all of history that has ever happened until now has been necessary.
Why then does he go around condemning various deals (eg the Iran nuclear deal) and rulings (eg some from America's supreme court), if it were necessary for those things to happen? You might as well condemn an apple for falling off a tree due to gravity.
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Aletheia wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:42 pm
Mommamia wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:17 pm
Lemons wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:59 pm The extreme religious views are that there will be a second coming of Christ and that everyone will perish except the chosen Christians and only the Jews who have converted to Christianity will be saved. Yeah, they love the Jews for keeping Israel safe while they wait for Jesus.
Who the hell do you think you are to insult Christians or anyone's religious beliefs? You obviously know nothing about Christian beliefs.
She didn't insult all Christians. She specified the sub-set who are extremists.

Have a read of:

https://www.globalministries.org/mee_re ... nism_koshy

John Hagee
Her trashy posts aren’t even worth responding to but I give you credit for trying.
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Aletheia wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:47 pm
Frau Holle wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:27 pm

He is of the faith that everything happens for a reason and God set into motion those reasons.
So everything in all of history that has ever happened until now has been necessary.
Why then does he go around condemning various deals (eg the Iran nuclear deal) and rulings (eg some from America's supreme court), if it were necessary for those things to happen? You might as well condemn an apple for falling off a tree due to gravity.
That’s where the hypocrisies come in.
Locked Previous topicNext topic