Please explain why this double standard is pervasive on the left

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Deleted User 1616

Unread post

King Arthur to be played by a black actor in Netflix show "Cursed"

Deleted User 1616

Unread post

https://www.history.com/news/was-king-a ... s%20passed

Image.

Are White people not even allowed to play Characters from their own Native cultures?
mcginnisc
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Who cares?? Honestly. What is the problem with having an actor that auditioned and won the part play the character? Case in point- Hamilton. All of the people represented in the musical were white..several were slaveholders. Every single character was played by a person of color in the original broadway cast. It was cast perfectly. I'm all for it. Cast whomever is best for the part regardless of color, creed, religion, sexuality, etc.
Claire
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
Frau Holle
Regent
Regent

Unread post

mcginnisc wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:02 pm Who cares?? Honestly. What is the problem with having an actor that auditioned and won the part play the character? Case in point- Hamilton. All of the people represented in the musical were white..several were slaveholders. Every single character was played by a person of color in the original broadway cast. It was cast perfectly. I'm all for it. Cast whomever is best for the part regardless of color, creed, religion, sexuality, etc.
That is because they specifically refused to cast white actors.
“ I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night “ - Sarah Williams
mcginnisc
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Frau Holle wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:10 pm
mcginnisc wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:02 pm Who cares?? Honestly. What is the problem with having an actor that auditioned and won the part play the character? Case in point- Hamilton. All of the people represented in the musical were white..several were slaveholders. Every single character was played by a person of color in the original broadway cast. It was cast perfectly. I'm all for it. Cast whomever is best for the part regardless of color, creed, religion, sexuality, etc.
Only for the original cast. Every travel cast as well as the current broadway cast is now multi-racial.
Claire
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
Frau Holle
Regent
Regent

Unread post

mcginnisc wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:15 pm
Only for the original cast. Every travel cast as well as the current broadway cast is now multi-racial.

In America it is perfectly fine to employ people based on “No White people allowed” and “ No men allowed”.

In other countries they would call that racism and sexism.

In America it is thought of as a way to end racism and sexism.
“ I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night “ - Sarah Williams
Deleted User 1616

Unread post

the whole point of hamilton was to exclude white people from being casted, it was intentionally discriminatory against whites, not just color blind casting. the only white character is King George, representing the "evil" bad white oppressors, intentionally chose a white guy to play the enemy.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-e ... ng-1195755

the left is not actually for equal treatment, they have double standards. poc are entitled to play their own characters and whites can't "borrow" from their culture, that is appropriation, but white characters can be casted by POC and appropriate their history and culture. this isn't a one off, its everywhere and its only applied one way.

here in a separate show Merlin, a black actress plays Guinevere

again, its a double standard. its considered problematic if reversed.
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I can’t say I disagree with that. It seems in America feminism now means misandry and equality means vilifying whites. It’s very sad and disturbing to see. Why can’t people find a healthy middle ground?
Frau Holle wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:36 pm

In America it is perfectly fine to employ people based on “No White people allowed” and “ No men allowed”.

❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

You really need this explained to you?
Frau Holle
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I am in complete support of “No racism tolerated “ and “ No sexism tolerated”.

But I support that for myself and my sons as well as everyone else in the world.
Momto2boys973 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:41 pm I can’t say I disagree with that. It seems in America feminism now means misandry and equality means vilifying whites. It’s very sad and disturbing to see. Why can’t people find a healthy middle ground?
Frau Holle wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:36 pm

Locked Previous topicNext topic