Massachusetts Protests

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Massachusetts residents have taken the requirement to wear masks seriously. That and the early shut down is working to sharply decrease the amount of cases and hospitalizations in the state. The seven-day weighted average for the positive test rate was 3.1% on Friday, down 89% since April 15, the lowest that it has been so far.
The three-day average in the number of deaths was 34 as of Wednesday, down 78% since mid-April. The three-day average number of patients in hospitals was 1,157 on Friday, down 68% from April 15.
https://www.bostonherald.com/2020/06/13 ... west-ever/

Pictures of Boston protests doesn't show social distancing but virtually everyone has a mask. The state asked the protesters to get tested and 2.5% of the protesters who got tested were positive. With so many states having positive test rates over 10%, this seems to verify that masks aren't a cure but they do make a difference.

Deleted User 670

Unread post

Isn't it funny how states that have residents that wear masks have fewer covid cases? My state has mandated masks when shopping and stores have signs up. I still see the occasional moron without a mask and just assume that they're a Trumper. The cases in my state are down except in the beach towns. I'm not going to the beach at all this year, though.
Deleted User 203

Unread post

Masks alone will not prevent the possibility of Covid 19. Social distancing helps considerably but apparently protests, riots, and everything in-between are exempt from this sort of thing.....or so it seems for many.
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

AZLizardLady wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:26 pm Masks alone will not prevent the possibility of Covid 19. Social distancing helps considerably but apparently protests, riots, and everything in-between are exempt from this sort of thing.....or so it seems for many.
The point of the data collected from various protests show that masks do help and being outdoors in crowds is better than being indoors in crowds. Minnesota showed the same thing. Low amounts of positive testing and this is being attributed to masks and being outdoors.

High positive results in testing in Arizona, Texas, and Florida are being attributed to people not wearing masks, being indoors in large crowds and reopening too early.

Instead of getting upset because you don’t like the results, it’s a good thing that scientists and collecting this data and are getting better at calculating the risks in different situations, what’s high risk, what’s low risk.
Deleted User 203

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:58 pm
AZLizardLady wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:26 pm Masks alone will not prevent the possibility of Covid 19. Social distancing helps considerably but apparently protests, riots, and everything in-between are exempt from this sort of thing.....or so it seems for many.
The point of the data collected from various protests show that masks do help and being outdoors in crowds is better than being indoors in crowds. Minnesota showed the same thing. Low amounts of positive testing and this is being attributed to masks and being outdoors.

High positive results in testing in Arizona, Texas, and Florida are being attributed to people not wearing masks, being indoors in large crowds and reopening too early.

Instead of getting upset because you don’t like the result
s, it’s a good thing that scientists and collecting this data and are getting better at calculating the risks in different situations, what’s high risk, what’s low risk.
And yet again, you've demonstrated to me, that I don't know where the hell you're going in a discussion. It's like you look for an argument that isn't there. It's weird honestly.

Where do I demonstrate that I am upset?

The simple reality is that even with a mask, unless social distancing is also utilized, there will still be problems.

Yes, masks DO help but so does keeping your distance from others as much as possible.

Masks were not enforced here in AZ but are mandatory now in the county here that I live in and has been for a few weeks now.

We shall see where our numbers are.....just as ALL states will, especially those in new phases of reopening and videos/pictures around the Internet showing they're clearly not wearing masks nor social distancing either.

You have to keep in mind that testing was not readily available for the first few months. Since the latter part of May and into this month, there have been testing "blitzes" in various states and more positive cases as a result.

Too, much of the reporting on the numbers tends to conflict with each other at times which is why there are some in society who feel they're being played...or however they wish to refer to it as.

Covid isn't a matter of competition in numbers nor is it political.
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Masks help... a little. There are many factors why hospitalizations may be down: more accurate and prompt testing is probably the main one. What makes a huge difference is social distancing, but I guess a few casualties are OK for those who believe protesting is a priority. And even in those pictures there’s a handful of people not wearing masks or wearing them incorrectly. Some studies have suggested that one of the reasons why Covid numbers haven’t increased much in areas that have protests is because the protests actually encourage the majority of citizens to stay home.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

AZLizardLady wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:10 am
Lemons wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:58 pm

Instead of getting upset because you don’t like the result
s, it’s a good thing that scientists and collecting this data and are getting better at calculating the risks in different situations, what’s high risk, what’s low risk.
And yet again, you've demonstrated to me, that I don't know where the hell you're going in a discussion. It's like you look for an argument that isn't there. It's weird honestly.

Where do I demonstrate that I am upset?

The simple reality is that even with a mask, unless social distancing is also utilized, there will still be problems.

Yes, masks DO help but so does keeping your distance from others as much as possible.

Masks were not enforced here in AZ but are mandatory now in the county here that I live in and has been for a few weeks now.

We shall see where our numbers are.....just as ALL states will, especially those in new phases of reopening and videos/pictures around the Internet showing they're clearly not wearing masks nor social distancing either.

You have to keep in mind that testing was not readily available for the first few months. Since the latter part of May and into this month, there have been testing "blitzes" in various states and more positive cases as a result.

Too, much of the reporting on the numbers tends to conflict with each other at times which is why there are some in society who feel they're being played...or however they wish to refer to it as.

Covid isn't a matter of competition in numbers nor is it political.
So stop making it political. Look at your last sentence on the previous post.
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Momto2boys973 wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:28 am Masks help... a little. There are many factors why hospitalizations may be down: more accurate and prompt testing is probably the main one. What makes a huge difference is social distancing, but I guess a few casualties are OK for those who believe protesting is a priority. And even in those pictures there’s a handful of people not wearing masks or wearing them incorrectly. Some studies have suggested that one of the reasons why Covid numbers haven’t increased much in areas that have protests is because the protests actually encourage the majority of citizens to stay home.
Masks are showing to help more than anticipated. It’s not about justifying the protests. They happened, no one was going to be able to stop them. It’s about using the data from what has happened to determine what is needed going forward to protect people.

The data collected from the current hot spots in Florida and Texas and Arizona will also be used to determine what caused these spikes. People not following the rules are the ones to follow to see what happens.
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

When we have data comparing the numbers of cases amongst protesters bs those staying at home we can say that the masks are really making a significant difference as opposed to other factors. There’s still a strong possibility that these protests are worsening the situation. We don’t know.
As lizard said, it’s not about making this a political issue. It’s about doing our best to protect the people and shorten the duration of the crisis. Children missed school, businesses suffered, people were left without a job all to do what has been proven around the world to truly work which is isolation, but all those take a back seat to protesting? Kids an take classes online, people can talk to their loved ones online, they can work online, people are getting medical checks online, but G-d forbid your can’t go out to protest, that’s THE single most important thing right now and it cannot be done online.
I’m sorry, but that shows screwed up priorities.
Lemons wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:48 pm
Momto2boys973 wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:28 am Masks help... a little. There are many factors why hospitalizations may be down: more accurate and prompt testing is probably the main one. What makes a huge difference is social distancing, but I guess a few casualties are OK for those who believe protesting is a priority. And even in those pictures there’s a handful of people not wearing masks or wearing them incorrectly. Some studies have suggested that one of the reasons why Covid numbers haven’t increased much in areas that have protests is because the protests actually encourage the majority of citizens to stay home.
Masks are showing to help more than anticipated. It’s not about justifying the protests. They happened, no one was going to be able to stop them. It’s about using the data from what has happened to determine what is needed going forward to protect people.

The data collected from the current hot spots in Florida and Texas and Arizona will also be used to determine what caused these spikes. People not following the rules are the ones to follow to see what happens.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

To be fair, Texas reopened mid-May and we are just now seeing the spike. So IDK if we really know what impact the protests had yet.

And I agree that it this isn’t a competition.
Locked Previous topicNext topic