Bye bye Disney’s Splash Mountain

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
lauren08
Regent
Regent

Unread post

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.co ... index.html

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytime ... g.amp.html

“Splash Mountain — one of Disney's most popular but problematic rides — will be "completely reimagined," the company announced on Thursday.

The log flume ride — which is based on the controversial 1946 film "Song of the South" — isn't going anywhere. Instead, it will be rethemed to star the characters from the 2009 animated film, "The Princess and the Frog," which features Disney's first Black princess.

Splash Mountain has been a mainstay at Disney (DIS) parks since its creation in 1989. The new changes to the ride will be implemented at Disneyland park in California and Magic Kingdom park in Florida.”

I am a big Disney girl. Any time a Disney ride gets rethemed (especially TOT, thank goodness it’s still at WDW), I am a bit sad. It’s fun to go back years later and ride the same rides, but I definitely understand the need for change with this one. I’ve ridden the ride several times and never even knew it was based on such a controversial, racist movie (Song of the South). While the ride itself doesn’t overtly reference the film, the characters are from the film. I am quite surprised that Disney chose to theme Splash Mountain this way in 1989 since Disney wouldn’t even release the film. I just hope they keep the big water drop — that’s my favorite part 😊 What are your thoughts?
EmilyH87
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I think it's a great idea. I've thought it was weird to keep the theme for so long when it's a movie they don't even release or a popular property in itself. I think Princess and the Frog was a good retheme to go with. I'm excited to see what they do.
Dungeon & Dragons Shenanigans:
https://twitch.tv/teambonusaction
Deleted User 1616

Unread post

I have never seen song of the south and didn't even know splash mountain was based on it. however, I am pretty sure they're keeping the ride exactly the same just swapping animatronic characters, maybe music and some scenery the waterfall drop will still be there.. basically, a little low cost makeover of the same ride, get tons of nearly free publicity and increased park attendance for a "new" (old) ride. these corporations love the woke mob because they constantly have some hashtag companies can latch on to and get free advertising out of it.

the annoying motivations of Disney aside, I think its totally fine to update rides, I like princess and the frog, it was cute so I am sure it will be just as good again, considering I have never even seen song of the south, it really was never nostalgic for me.

It will be kinda out of place in critter country (where splash mountain is) though, a princess and the frog ride would make a lot more sense being in the new Orleans square part of the park so it seems a bit forced to me.
SoFloMom
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I think that’s great! The Princess and the Frog is one of my favorite Disney movies...if not my favorite.
Cupcake_mama_jzd
Viscountess
Viscountess

Unread post

I don't see a problem with changing it. Song of the South (even with racial stereotypes aside) was never one of Disney's most popular films. I'm 36 and I never saw it, and I've never seen kids dressing up as any of those Characters or wanting any Song of the South toys. Kids can't relate to any of the characters and the story line depicted in the ride is completely lost on them.

The Princess and the frog, however, is a film most kids are familiar with and thus the entire ride will be more exciting for them, not just the drop. I also think that story would fit with the nature of the ride (starting out light, then getting dark and spooky to build suspense, then ending happy again). Plus it lends itself to some great background music and colorful fun settings. And the best part is, it still keeps with the spirit of southern culture without being racially incensitive.
moviestar
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I’m so mad that they didn’t pick mulan and then the drop off could be the avalanche.
jas
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

moviestar wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:53 am I’m so mad that they didn’t pick mulan and then the drop off could be the avalanche.
That would have worked, but wouldn't have fit with today's mood.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

I haven’t seen Song of the South but Princess and the frog is adorbs.
californiagirl83
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I've seen both, and I didn't realize it was based on SotS. Then again, I haven't been back in 25 years. I do remember saying Splash Mountain was my favorite ride. In this age of 'wokeness' we're going to lose some treasured traditions.
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Well, then I’m glad we got to ride it before it became another victim of the race war. I love “Zip-a-dee-doo-dah”. I’m sure they’ll do a great ride, though.
I wonder how far this thing will go. HAR will stop referring to “master” bedrooms and bathrooms, L’Oreal is removing all “white“ and “fair” from its products. And now Disney will tear down a ride. Let’s take that part of history and bury it down where we cannot ever see it again. But we do know what happens to people who forget history, right...?
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Locked Previous topicNext topic