NCAA bans championship events in Mississippi because of its flag

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

“There is no place in college athletics or the world for symbols or acts of discrimination and oppression,” Michael V. Drake, Ohio State president and chair of the NCAA’s board of governors, said in a statement. “We must continually evaluate ways to protect and enhance the championship experience for college athletes. Expanding the Confederate flag policy to all championships is an important step by the NCAA to further provide a quality experience for all participants and fans.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2 ... te-symbol/
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Deleted User 670

Unread post

Good maybe this will give state the push it needs to redesign its flag.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:00 pm Good maybe this will give state the push it needs to redesign its flag.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/mi ... d_nn_tw_ma
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Deleted User 670

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:02 pm
pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:00 pm Good maybe this will give state the push it needs to redesign its flag.
Yeah I saw that. But "appears to have enough votes" doesn't actually mean anything, though. They actually have to do it.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:04 pm
Yeah I saw that. But "appears to have enough votes" doesn't actually mean anything, though. They actually have to do it.
I think this kick in their (basket)balls will prompt a swift reaction. Hopefully.
Deleted User 670

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:06 pm
I think this kick in their (basket)balls will prompt a swift reaction. Hopefully.
The South does love its college basketball.
SoFloMom
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Good.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Nah, this isn’t the first time Mississippi has gotten external pressure to change the flag and they didn’t budge. They take a really “stay out of our business and let us work this out” stance on stuff like this (not just the flag).

If this gets pushed through, it will be because of Mississippians who have fought long and hard for change.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

I’m not getting my hopes up but I hope they get enough votes. The state needs to move on and start healing from all this turmoil.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:26 pm

Nah, this isn’t the first time Mississippi has gotten external pressure to change the flag and they didn’t budge. They take a really “stay out of our business and let us work this out” stance on stuff like this (not just the flag).

If this gets pushed through, it will be because of Mississippians who have fought long and hard for change.
You're right and I apologize. I know that Mississippians have fought hard for this change so to attribute it to NCAA is quite out-of-touch.
Locked Previous topicNext topic