Murder rate by state

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

A lot of focus on Chicago murders. But there are eight states that had more murders per 100,000 people than Illinois in 2017.

Statistics from 2017 calculated the amount of murders per 100,000 population in each state. Here are the top ten states where the most murders happened based on their populations -

Louisiana 14.4 per 100,000 people
Alabama 12.9
Mississippi 12.7
Missouri 11.3
Alaska 10.6
Maryland 10.2
Arkansas 9.8
South Carolina 9.3
Illinois 9
Tennessee 8.8
Oklahoma 8.5

https://worldpopulationreview.com/state ... -by-state/

The highest murder rates are in republican run states with the least stringent gun control. Using Chicago as an example of gun control not working is ridiculous.
moviestar
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Huh. Kinda surprised to see Alaska on this list.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

As with most issues, I don’t think one party is to blame. But I’ve always said this. I’m from Jackson and I grew up around NOLA/Baton Rouge. People tend to single out Chicago unfairly when we’ve had a higher murder rate per capita for some insane reason.

Not that I want people to start picking on us too because we get ignorant shit said about us too but I always thought that was ridiculous.
DSamuels
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:11 pm A lot of focus on Chicago murders. But there are eight states that had more murders per 100,000 people than Illinois in 2017.

Statistics from 2017 calculated the amount of murders per 100,000 population in each state. Here are the top ten states where the most murders happened based on their populations -

Alabama 12.9
Mississippi 12.7
Missouri 11.3
Alaska 10.6
Maryland 10.2
Arkansas 9.8
South Carolina 9.3
Illinois 9
Tennessee 8.8
Oklahoma 8.5

The highest murder rates are in republican run states with the least stringent gun control. Using Chicago as an example of gun control not working is ridiculous.
There are a couple of things I noticed in the article. It mentions homicide rates, but nowhere in the article does it mention guns. I am guessing the homicide rate includes all methods, not just guns.

Second, if you look at the number of homicides for the states while Illinois is 9th on the list it had over 1,100 homicides in 2017. The number 1 state had 653 or almost half the number of homicides.
Never explain - your friends do not need it and your enemies will not believe you anyway. - Elbert Hubbard

Keep up - Calm Down - Pay Attention
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

DSamuels wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:43 pm
Lemons wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:11 pm A lot of focus on Chicago murders. But there are eight states that had more murders per 100,000 people than Illinois in 2017.

Alabama 12.9
Mississippi 12.7
Missouri 11.3
Alaska 10.6
Maryland 10.2
Arkansas 9.8
South Carolina 9.3
Illinois 9
Tennessee 8.8
Oklahoma 8.5

There are a couple of things I noticed in the article. It mentions homicide rates, but nowhere in the article does it mention guns. I am guessing the homicide rate includes all methods, not just guns.

Second, if you look at the number of homicides for the states while Illinois is 9th on the list it had over 1,100 homicides in 2017. The number 1 state had 653 or almost half the number of homicides.
You can look at a number of different sources and will see pretty much the same results. Some are all homicides, some are by guns only. Either way the same states come up, give or take small differences.

And statistically they need to do it by population or it means nothing. The number one state had 14.4 murders per 100,000 people living in the state. Illinois had nine for every100,000 people.
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

moviestar wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:23 pm Huh. Kinda surprised to see Alaska on this list.
There’s a lot of crime in Alaska. Alaska has the highest rate of sexual assault cases in the country.

On the opposite end Hawaii is one of the least violent states.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Alabama 12.9
Mississippi 12.7
Missouri 11.3
Alaska 10.6
Maryland 10.2
Arkansas 9.8
South Carolina 9.3
Illinois 9
Tennessee 8.8
Oklahoma 8.5

IDK how much of an impact stricter gun laws would make since the streets tends to move differently but gun violence is a problem in LA and MS.

We have lower numbers because we don’t have as many people as say....Chicago, so in order to rank it nationally it has to be done per capita..which if fair IMO.
Mommamia
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Alabama 12.9
Mississippi 12.7
Missouri 11.3
Alaska 10.6
Maryland 10.2
Arkansas 9.8
South Carolina 9.3
Illinois 9
Tennessee 8.8
Oklahoma 8.5

Now don't burst her bubble, DSam. As usual, lemons is posting half truths. That's the problem with statistics. They can be compiled in such a manner as to reflect the compiler's point of view and agenda.

Homicide by definition is the killing of one human being by another human being. It is not limited to people having been killed by guns. There are all kinds of deaths that fall under homicides....

http://www.state.in.us/ctb/files/appendix1.pdf

.accidental homicide, justifiable homicide, murder, excusable homicides, criminal homicides, manslaughter, voluntary and involuntary.

Homicides come in all shapes and sizes. You can stab someone, hit them over the head with a heavy object, choke them to death, poison them, set their homes on fire with them in it, run them over with a car, blow them up,
etc. If there is a way to kill someone without using a gun, someone somewhere has done it.

Then we have this statistic......

Global Study on Homicide - unodcwww.unodc.org › data-and-analysis › GSH2018 › GSH...
PDF
Women killed by intimate partners or family members account for 58 per cent of all female homicide victims reported globally last year, and little progress has been ...
DSamuels
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:44 pm

Alabama 12.9
Mississippi 12.7
Missouri 11.3
Alaska 10.6
Maryland 10.2
Arkansas 9.8
South Carolina 9.3
Illinois 9
Tennessee 8.8
Oklahoma 8.5

IDK how much of an impact stricter gun laws would make since the streets tends to move differently but gun violence is a problem in LA and MS.

We have lower numbers because we don’t have as many people as say....Chicago, so in order to rank it nationally it has to be done per capita..which if fair IMO.
But the OP is using that to downplay the violence and killings in Chicago. That’s why I pointed out that even with a lower per capital rate Illinois still has far more overall. I know the population skews it somewhat.
Never explain - your friends do not need it and your enemies will not believe you anyway. - Elbert Hubbard

Keep up - Calm Down - Pay Attention
Linda_Runs
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

moviestar wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:23 pm Huh. Kinda surprised to see Alaska on this list.
I would have been surprised too, so I took a quick moment and looked up the murder rate in Canada. The top three regions have the highest murder rates in Canada at four to 10 times higher than Canada's most populated provinces.
Locked Previous topicNext topic