Murder rate by state

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Linda_Runs
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:44 pm
DSamuels wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:43 pm
Lemons wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:11 pm A lot of focus on Chicago murders. But there are eight states that had more murders per 100,000 people than Illinois in 2017.

Statistics from 2017 calculated the amount of murders per 100,000 population in each state. Here are the top ten states where the most murders happened based on their populations -

Louisiana 14.4 per 100,000 people
Alabama 12.9
Mississippi 12.7
Missouri 11.3
Alaska 10.6
Maryland 10.2
Arkansas 9.8
South Carolina 9.3
Illinois 9
Tennessee 8.8
Oklahoma 8.5

https://worldpopulationreview.com/state ... -by-state/

The highest murder rates are in republican run states with the least stringent gun control. Using Chicago as an example of gun control not working is ridiculous.
There are a couple of things I noticed in the article. It mentions homicide rates, but nowhere in the article does it mention guns. I am guessing the homicide rate includes all methods, not just guns.

Second, if you look at the number of homicides for the states while Illinois is 9th on the list it had over 1,100 homicides in 2017. The number 1 state had 653 or almost half the number of homicides.
IDK how much of an impact stricter gun laws would make since the streets tends to move differently but gun violence is a problem in LA and MS.

We have lower numbers because we don’t have as many people as say....Chicago, so in order to rank it nationally it has to be done per capita..which if fair IMO.
When it comes to gun control, look up north to Canada. Canada has significant gun control compared to the U.S. and it's getting stricter. The odd thing is that almost 100% of gun crime in Canada is committed by criminals with illegal guns to begin with or other people with illegal guns because they couldn't get a permit.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

DSamuels wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:45 am

There are a couple of things I noticed in the article. It mentions homicide rates, but nowhere in the article does it mention guns. I am guessing the homicide rate includes all methods, not just guns.

Second, if you look at the number of homicides for the states while Illinois is 9th on the list it had over 1,100 homicides in 2017. The number 1 state had 653 or almost half the number of homicides.
IDK how much of an impact stricter gun laws would make since the streets tends to move differently but gun violence is a problem in LA and MS.

We have lower numbers because we don’t have as many people as say....Chicago, so in order to rank it nationally it has to be done per capita..which if fair IMO.
But the OP is using that to downplay the violence and killings in Chicago. That’s why I pointed out that even with a lower per capital rate Illinois still has far more overall. I know the population skews it somewhat.
I disagree with Lemons on just about everything concerning the south but this is fair and I am not sure what initiated this post. But, people do tend to use Chicago to make ignorant comments about Black people (Black on Black crime) or complain about Obama who couldn’t single handily fix it.

So it’s not so much downplaying it. It has always come off ignorant/unfair to me because we have a higher crime rate with politicians who can’t wave a wand and fix it either.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Linda_Runs wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:41 am

When it comes to gun control, look up north to Canada. Canada has significant gun control compared to the U.S. and it's getting stricter. The odd thing is that almost 100% of gun crime in Canada is committed by criminals with illegal guns to begin with or other people with illegal guns because they couldn't get a permit.
Same here, that’s why I am not sure if stricter gun laws would impact the crime in the areas listed in the article. People tend not to commit murders with legally registered weapons but we do need stricter laws, especially when it comes to negligence.
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:23 am

But the OP is using that to downplay the violence and killings in Chicago. That’s why I pointed out that even with a lower per capital rate Illinois still has far more overall. I know the population skews it somewhat.
I disagree with Lemons on just about everything concerning the south but this is fair and I am not sure what initiated this post. But, people do tend to use Chicago to make ignorant comments about Black people (Black on Black crime) or complain about Obama who couldn’t single handily fix it.

So it’s not so much downplaying it. It has always come off ignorant/unfair to me because we have a higher crime rate with politicians who can’t wave a wand and fix it either.
I put this up because someone was posting that the violence is because of “blue states” and democratic states. Not true. It’s actually Republican states with the least restrictive laws on gun ownership that have more gun violence.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:32 pm

I put this up because someone was posting that the violence is because of “blue states” and democratic states. Not true. It’s actually Republican states with the least restrictive laws on gun ownership that have more gun violence.
Which thread had people blaming Democratic states? I couldn’t find it.
DSamuels
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

But your article is about the homicide rate and doesn’t mention guns at all. So it doesn’t show what you are claiming.
Never explain - your friends do not need it and your enemies will not believe you anyway. - Elbert Hubbard

Keep up - Calm Down - Pay Attention
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

DSamuels wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:55 am

But your article is about the homicide rate and doesn’t mention guns at all. So it doesn’t show what you are claiming.
The statistics are pretty much the same whichever way you look at it. Violent crimes are more prevalent in red states and so is gun violence violence and gun murder rates. Have you found information that claims differently?
Snicker
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

No dream is too big. No challenge is too great. Nothing we want for our future is beyond our reach.

Donald Trump
[/
font]
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:33 am

The statistics are pretty much the same whichever way you look at it. Violent crimes are more prevalent in red states and so is gun violence violence and gun murder rates. Have you found information that claims differently?
Jackson, Baton Rouge and NOLA are majority Black cities that are notoriously Blue. The issue with violence has more to do with poverty, lack of educational resources, fall out from the racial past and environment that everyone seems to love shaming us for.

The streets will always have a means to bypass gun laws and it won’t fix the root of the problem that facilitates a survival of the fittest environment.

It’s not as simple as these are Republican states with lenient gun laws.
DSamuels
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:33 am

Your article is about homicide, not gun violence or gun murder rates. You’re comparing vegan meals to filet mignon.

Large cities in states tend to be blue and also skew results.
Never explain - your friends do not need it and your enemies will not believe you anyway. - Elbert Hubbard

Keep up - Calm Down - Pay Attention
Locked Previous topicNext topic