National Trust for Historic Preservation Statement on Confederate Monuments

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Frau Holle wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:28 pm
Pjmm wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:22 pm
Frau Holle wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:08 am

No, because we preserved the death camps and routinely teach people what happened there.
Not the same as erecting a statue to Adolph Hitler though. We both know that. A statue says you honor this person. Keep history, yes. Don't make a statue of Robert L Lee or if you do be honest about him. We tried to leave the union, over what? Idk why we still honor these things. The only place I can imagine keeping intact is Stone Mountain because idk how you replace carvings in a mountain. But they could describe these men honestly and give lessons on how we've changed over the years.
It is not the same, but the two wars are not comparable as far as how each country felt after.

Germany wanted to destroy all relics of Hitler and make sure this type of war never happened again.

Americans were still split in two after the civil war ended when it came to people’s beliefs over how they should be governed, and they still remain split.
Not like they were. I was just saying in Florida's rural towns the northerners retire and are welcome. When I was a kid we were looked on with suspicion, people with funny accents. The towns like money much as the next person lol and retirees bring it. Yes America is divided now but not north vs south. It's liberal vs conservative and Democrat vs Republican. And it seems most people are okay with confederate statues going or at least discussing it.
Frau Holle
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Pjmm wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:33 pm
Pjmm wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:22 pm

Not the same as erecting a statue to Adolph Hitler though. We both know that. A statue says you honor this person. Keep history, yes. Don't make a statue of Robert L Lee or if you do be honest about him. We tried to leave the union, over what? Idk why we still honor these things. The only place I can imagine keeping intact is Stone Mountain because idk how you replace carvings in a mountain. But they could describe these men honestly and give lessons on how we've changed over the years.
It is not the same, but the two wars are not comparable as far as how each country felt after.

Germany wanted to destroy all relics of Hitler and make sure this type of war never happened again.

Americans were still split in two after the civil war ended when it came to people’s beliefs over how they should be governed, and they still remain split.
Not like they were. I was just saying in Florida's rural towns the northerners retire and are welcome. When I was a kid we were looked on with suspicion, people with funny accents. The towns like money much as the next person lol and retirees bring it. Yes America is divided now but not north vs south. It's liberal vs conservative and Democrat vs Republican.
True, but if we go by What I have perceived to be the stereotypes instead of always,

Liberal =democrat , which = northern

Conservative = republican, which = southern

If you talk to southerners today about why it is important to them, no one will mention slavery, they say they want states rights over federal rights.

Then they go on to talk about abortions, and oil drilling, and church Covid restrictions and all sorts of other things that they believe the Democrats and Republicans” think differently on.
“ I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night “ - Sarah Williams
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Frau Holle wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:39 pm

Not like they were. I was just saying in Florida's rural towns the northerners retire and are welcome. When I was a kid we were looked on with suspicion, people with funny accents. The towns like money much as the next person lol and retirees bring it. Yes America is divided now but not north vs south. It's liberal vs conservative and Democrat vs Republican.
True, but if we go by What I have perceived to be the stereotypes instead of always,

If you talk to southerners today about why it is important to them, no one will mention slavery, they say they want states rights over federal rights.

Then they go on to talk about abortions, and oil drilling, and church Covid restrictions and all sorts of other things that they believe the Democrats and Republicans” think differently on.
Well of course we're discussing current events. Slavery is gone. It's over and been over. Racism isn't and that's discussed as a current event along with what we should do with confederate monuments. At least we're having the discussion. But you speak as if every southerner is conservative and every northerner is Democrat. It's not true. Most people I know vote Democrat. Many here worry over oil drilling because we make our money by the environment. As far as state rights you could be correct. I want state rights because I feel our president has the leadership ability of moldy cheese. So someone has to lead. Not that I'm thrilled with DeSantis but he's not Trump. All in all I believe you're generalizing us a bit.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Frau Holle wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:39 pm

You mean specifically white southerners (and not all white southerners). You forget that the South is diverse. Louisiana has a 40% minority population. Mississippi has a 39% minority population. Georgia is 38% minority population. You are looking at a simplified political map where southern states are "red" and northern states are "blue" and assuming that that is a fair representation of the entire population of each state. I've indicated before, you need to look at more detailed political maps and the make up of individual state legislatures to get a clearer picture. I think you will see that there is not a statewide consensus among it's population.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Snicker
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:42 pm
Snicker wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:37 am Well if you erase history then you can't cry racism anymore so tear them down and erase
Removing statues is not erasing history. And these statues were not erected after the Civil War. They were erected WAY after the civil war, in the 1900s and 1940s to further emphasize white supremacy.
No it wasn't Prove your theory please
No dream is too big. No challenge is too great. Nothing we want for our future is beyond our reach.

Donald Trump
[/
font]
Deleted User 670

Unread post

Snicker wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:42 am
Snicker wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:37 am Well if you erase history then you can't cry racism anymore so tear them down and erase
Removing statues is not erasing history. And these statues were not erected after the Civil War. They were erected WAY after the civil war, in the 1900s and 1940s to further emphasize white supremacy.
Yes they absolutely were. Read up on it.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Snicker wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:23 am
Thelma Harper wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:01 am
How exactly is taking them down going to erase history? Has the Holocaust been erased?
Think about it.
Did you answer the questions?
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

How many monuments to the confederacy are in your state?
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Snicker
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Thelma Harper wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:04 am
How many monuments to the confederacy are in your state?
none.
No dream is too big. No challenge is too great. Nothing we want for our future is beyond our reach.

Donald Trump
[/
font]
Frau Holle
Regent
Regent

Unread post

pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:56 am
Yes they absolutely were. Read up on it.
Would they have been allowed to erect these statues right after the war ended?
“ I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night “ - Sarah Williams
Locked Previous topicNext topic