National Trust for Historic Preservation Statement on Confederate Monuments

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Deleted User 670

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:42 pm
Frau Holle wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:58 am
Thelma Harper wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:30 am

We have preserved battlefields and other things of a true historical context. Did taking down memorials to the Nazis erase history?
The Nazis were quite different. America still has half a country that feels emotionally connected to the confederacy, so our after reactions were also quite different.

When we preserved all of these places, and recreate all of these places it is because that is the only way you truly care about history.

You learn about wars and battles and human rights atrocities all the time in museums but after that instance you move on with your day and do whatever else is on the vacation day.

When you visit a death camp, you see it, you hear screams, you feel it, you smell it, you are immersed in what happened until you are left cold with a pit in your stomach that won’t go away for days.

Have you ever been to a civil war battlefield that has been preserved? It’s a field. Maybe a gift shop.

We go about preserving history in very different ways.
I agree with you on the long lasting emotional toll that visiting a death camp take - I've been to Dachau and Auschwitz. I am, however, offended by your description of our civil war battlefields as "It's a field. Maybe a gift shop." I can only assume that you have never visited one or if you had, you did not take part in the detailed tour, film, museum, or visit the surrounding landmarks. Is Omaha "just a beach"? While moved in a different way, I left the battlefields with long lasting emotional toll.
One of the biggest battles of the Civil War occurred in Manassas Virginia, the battle of bull run. It is a field. People go there with metal detectors to dig up war memorabilia. Kids run around and play. On the other side is a rifle shooting range.
Frau Holle
Regent
Regent

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:17 pm
Frau Holle wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:10 pm

I agree with you on the long lasting emotional toll that visiting a death camp take - I've been to Dachau and Auschwitz. I am, however, offended by your description of our civil war battlefields as "It's a field. Maybe a gift shop." I can only assume that you have never visited one or if you had, you did not take part in the detailed tour, film, museum, or visit the surrounding landmarks. Is Omaha "just a beach"? While moved in a different way, I left the battlefields with long lasting emotional toll.
I’ve visited about 15. I’ve been on the tours and heard excitement and laughter coming from one of our guides as he described the battle and the cannon balls that were used. And half of the time the “museums” were from the confederacy viewpoint.

That doesn’t happen in Dachau.

It’s just not the same thing. Half of Germany is not flying a Nazi flag when they go to a sports game. Half of America still flies a confederate flag when they go places.
15 is impressive but I'm sorry that was your take-away. I just can't imagine.

Half? Seriously?
Yes, when you’re in the south from what I have seen , there are more often than not battle sites and remembrance sites that are from the viewpoint of the confederacy.
“ I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night “ - Sarah Williams
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:47 pm
Frau Holle wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:58 am

The Nazis were quite different. America still has half a country that feels emotionally connected to the confederacy, so our after reactions were also quite different.

When we preserved all of these places, and recreate all of these places it is because that is the only way you truly care about history.

You learn about wars and battles and human rights atrocities all the time in museums but after that instance you move on with your day and do whatever else is on the vacation day.

When you visit a death camp, you see it, you hear screams, you feel it, you smell it, you are immersed in what happened until you are left cold with a pit in your stomach that won’t go away for days.

Have you ever been to a civil war battlefield that has been preserved? It’s a field. Maybe a gift shop.

We go about preserving history in very different ways.
One of the biggest battles of the Civil War occurred in Manassas Virginia, the battle of bull run. It is a field. People go there with metal detectors to dig up war memorabilia. Kids run around and play. On the other side is a rifle shooting range.
I grew up about 25 miles west of Manassas and went often as a kid (with school and with my parents). No way would either have allowed me to treat it as a trip to a park. It was always a really solemn experience.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Deleted User 670

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:10 pm
pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:47 pm

I grew up about 25 miles west of Manassas and went often as a kid (with school and with my parents). No way would either have allowed me to treat it as a trip to a park. It was always a really solemn experience.
Times have changed.
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Frau Holle wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:18 am
Lemons wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:39 am
Frau Holle wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:08 am

No, because we preserved the death camps and routinely teach people what happened there.
Hitler’s bunker is preserved but hidden because they don’t want the whites supremacist nazis worshipping there. And you won’t find statues of Hitler, Goebbels or any other generals who fought in WW2.

Do you know why it’s preserved and recreated in a Museum?

The reason has nothing to do with honoring anyone.
I know it has nothing to do with honoring anyone. That’s the reason our country has statues, that’s the problem.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Thelma Harper wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:01 am
Snicker wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:37 am Well if you erase history then you can't cry racism anymore so tear them down and erase
How exactly is taking them down going to erase history? Has the Holocaust been erased?

No, because we preserved the death camps and routinely teach people what happened there.
Not the same as erecting a statue to Adolph Hitler though. We both know that. A statue says you honor this person. Keep history, yes. Don't make a statue of Robert L Lee or if you do be honest about him. We tried to leave the union, over what? Idk why we still honor these things. The only place I can imagine keeping intact is Stone Mountain because idk how you replace carvings in a mountain. But they could describe these men honestly and give lessons on how we've changed over the years.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Snicker wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:37 am Well if you erase history then you can't cry racism anymore so tear them down and erase
How exactly is taking them down going to erase history? Has the Holocaust been erased?

Not the same as erecting a statue to Adolph Hitler though. We both know that. A statue says you honor this person. Keep history, yes. Don't make a statue of Robert L Lee or if you do be honest about him. We tried to leave the union, over what? Idk why we still honor these things. The only place I can imagine keeping intact is Stone Mountain because idk how you replace carvings in a mountain. But they could describe these men honestly and give lessons on how we've changed over the years.
Frau Holle
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Pjmm wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:22 pm

It is not the same, but the two wars are not comparable as far as how each country felt after.

Germany wanted to destroy all relics of Hitler and make sure this type of war never happened again.

Americans were still split in two after the civil war ended when it came to people’s beliefs over how they should be governed, and they still remain split.
“ I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night “ - Sarah Williams
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I’ve visited about 15. I’ve been on the tours and heard excitement and laughter coming from one of our guides as he described the battle and the cannon balls that were used. And half of the time the “museums” were from the confederacy viewpoint.

It’s just not the same thing. Half of Germany is not flying a Nazi flag when they go to a sports game. Half of America still flies a confederate flag when they go places.

Half? Seriously?
What half? Even in Florida it's becoming less common to see the confederate flag. In the seventies I always used to see stupid bumper stickers against Yankees like the south were bitter losers. I don't anymore. And northerners are welcome now in rural towns. They bring tourism dollars if nothing else. Stupid rednecks do fly the flag but not like they once did.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Pjmm wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:29 pm

Half? Seriously?
What half? Even in Florida it's becoming less common to see the confederate flag. In the seventies I always used to see stupid bumper stickers against Yankees like the south were bitter losers. I don't anymore. And northerners are welcome now in rural towns. They bring tourism dollars if nothing else. Stupid rednecks do fly the flag but not like they once did.
I found the "half" pretty non-sensical. I don't live in the deep south but I live in rural Virginia and while vocal, our flag carrying/wearing crowd is a small percentage of our population.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Locked Previous topicNext topic