National Trust for Historic Preservation Statement on Confederate Monuments

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Snicker
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Well if you erase history then you can't cry racism anymore so tear them down and erase
No dream is too big. No challenge is too great. Nothing we want for our future is beyond our reach.

Donald Trump
[/
font]
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Snicker wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:37 am Well if you erase history then you can't cry racism anymore so tear them down and erase
How exactly is taking them down going to erase history? Has the Holocaust been erased?
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Frau Holle
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Thelma Harper wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:01 am
Snicker wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:37 am Well if you erase history then you can't cry racism anymore so tear them down and erase
How exactly is taking them down going to erase history? Has the Holocaust been erased?

No, because we preserved the death camps and routinely teach people what happened there.
“ I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night “ - Sarah Williams
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Frau Holle wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:08 am

No, because we preserved the death camps and routinely teach people what happened there.
We have preserved many of our civil war battlefields, turned them into national parks, and created outdoor museums/classrooms for millions of children and adult annual visitors.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:28 am

We have preserved many of our civil war battlefields, turned them into national parks, and created outdoor museums/classrooms for millions of children and adult annual visitors.
We do. Have you been to the big one in Vicksburg? They can pile a lot of confederate monuments there. 😂😂

I swear the the Civil War park in Vickburg is sitting on so much land, people can.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:40 pm

We do. Have you been to the big one in Vicksburg? They can pile a lot of confederate monuments there. 😂😂

I swear the the Civil War park in Vickburg is sitting on so much land, people can
I haven't been to Vicksburg but I've been to Gettysburg, Manassas, and Appomattox. There is a whole lotta land there too. Gettysburg was a standard 3-day 7th and 8th grade field trip at my school back in the 70s. I find the battlefields absolutely haunting but important. I sympathize with the young men who were fighting on both sides as so many were just cannon fodder. They must have been so frightened.

As an aside, my son went to Whitney Plantation last year on a school trip. Have you been? It's a plantation where tours are set up from the prospective of the slaves who worked the plantation rather than the land owners. My son couldn't talk about if for days after he returned but he looks back and says it was one of the best educational experiences he ever had and he wants to take us there.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:58 pm
SouthernIslander wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:40 pm

I swear the the Civil War park in Vickburg is sitting on so much land, people can
I haven't been to Vicksburg but I've been to Gettysburg, Manassas, and Appomattox. There is a whole lotta land there too. Gettysburg was a standard 3-day 7th and 8th grade field trip at my school back in the 70s. I find the battlefields absolutely haunting but important. I sympathize with the young men who were fighting on both sides as so many were just cannon fodder. They must have been so frightened.

As an aside, my son went to Whitney Plantation last year on a school trip. Have you been? It's a plantation where tours are set up from the prospective of the slaves who worked the plantation rather than the land owners. My son couldn't talk about if for days after he returned but he looks back and says it was one of the best educational experiences he ever had and he wants to take us there.
l haven’t but I have been to various plantation homes in MS. So I totally get the haunting feeling and how your son felt. A close family member worked at one during the jim crow days. There weren’t slave quarters on the property but I still could not damn stand even driving past it, the energy was so bad.

You should definitely go. It’s a tough one but it was more impactful for me in comparison to the civil war parks.
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Hitler’s bunker is preserved but hidden because they don’t want the whites supremacist nazis worshipping there. And you won’t find statues of Hitler, Goebbels or any other generals who fought in WW2.
Frau Holle
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:39 am

Hitler’s bunker is preserved but hidden because they don’t want the whites supremacist nazis worshipping there. And you won’t find statues of Hitler, Goebbels or any other generals who fought in WW2.

Do you know why it’s preserved and recreated in a Museum?

The reason has nothing to do with honoring anyone.
“ I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night “ - Sarah Williams
Locked Previous topicNext topic