Trump Cutting Troops in Germany to Punish Merkel

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Deleted User 670

Unread post

Thoughts? Note to Mommamia this is an opinion piece.
U.S.-Germany Crisis Goes Deeper Than Trump’s Planned Troop Cuts

The U.S.-U.K. relationship is "special," but the U.S.-German relationship has held the key to European security for seven decades.

By Hal Brands
June 10, 2020, 5:00 AM EDT

. . .

If the policy thus seems incoherent, that’s because something else is probably going on here. The withdrawal decision came just days after Trump’s most recent spat with Berlin, this one involving Chancellor Angela Merkel's decision not to attend an in-person meeting of the Group of 7 in the U.S. this month — and her resistance to inviting Russian President Vladimir Putin to join the group. Given that Trump has long seen Merkel more as an antagonist than an ally, and given how often the president has used foreign policy to pursue his own grievances, it is all too plausible that the primary issue here is Trump’s effort to punish an uncooperative foreign leader. And if that’s troubling enough, even more worrying is what this episode shows about the decaying state of the U.S.-German relationship.

For all the mythology that surrounds the U.S.-U.K. relationship, it is arguably the U.S.-German relationship that has held the key to European peace and cooperation since World War II. During the Cold War, America sheltered West Germany from intimidation and aggression by the Warsaw Pact, and provided the climate of security in which the country could recover economically without terrifying its neighbors. The U.S. committed to building a prosperous, democratic Germany that would no longer pursue aggression born of autocracy.

. . .
https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/artic ... t-security
Frau Holle
Regent
Regent

Unread post

The moment Trump interfered in our Covid-19 plans, he made our governments no longer allies.

We are not enemies by any means, but we are not allies either.
“ I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night “ - Sarah Williams
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Oh, it would be a wonderful ending to this lousy year if that oaf gets kicked out of the White House. Please! At least one good thing to happen this year and a great start for 2021!
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Frau Holle wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:24 am The moment Trump interfered in our Covid-19 plans, he made our governments no longer allies.

America’s allies are only waiting for Trump to be out. Things will go back to normal when he’s gone next year.
HanSolo
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Momto2boys973 wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:57 pm Oh, it would be a wonderful ending to this lousy year if that oaf gets kicked out of the White House. Please! At least one good thing to happen this year and a great start for 2021!
Who do you want for president of the US?
HanSolo
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:40 pm
Frau Holle wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:24 am The moment Trump interfered in our Covid-19 plans, he made our governments no longer allies.

America’s allies are only waiting for Trump to be out. Things will go back to normal when he’s gone next year.
Normal?
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I think so too. I think that at this point there’s a possibility for damage control. 4 more years of him bashing every world leader that doesn’t want to kiss his ass and embracing every tyrant and dictator that does because it’s convenient to them and I’m not sure how easily fixed the collapse of international relations will be.

❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I was hoping Weld or Bloomberg would do it. But since that’s not an option anymore, it will have to be Biden since he’s the only one with a chance to defeat Trump, and as I said, it’s very important to remove him from office. And it’s beginning to look as if he may succeed.
HanSolo wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:50 pm
Momto2boys973 wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:57 pm Oh, it would be a wonderful ending to this lousy year if that oaf gets kicked out of the White House. Please! At least one good thing to happen this year and a great start for 2021!
Who do you want for president of the US?
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Frau Holle
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Quite possibly.

But the next person is really going to have to show that they are a person deserving of trust.
“ I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night “ - Sarah Williams
HanSolo
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Momto2boys973 wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:52 pm I think so too. I think that at this point there’s a possibility for damage control. 4 more years of him bashing every world leader that doesn’t want to kiss his ass and embracing every tyrant and dictator that does because it’s convenient to them and I’m not sure how easily fixed the collapse of international relations will be.

How do you spell windbag?
Locked Previous topicNext topic