1.5 million new unemployment claims last week alone

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Linda_Runs
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Canada's unemployment rate his 13.7 percent over this pandemic. It is expected to drop significantly by the end of August.
Deleted User 244

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:45 pm
MC08 wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:40 pm
Lemons wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:28 pm

It’s not all about Trump. It’s also about what Congress plans to propose, what Biden plants, etc. This is the beginning of a recession and they need to get start to work together.

I think you misread. I stated there were 1.5 million new claims filed last week. That is factually correct. I’m not sure why you wrote “up by”. Unemployment went down when states started opening up but that the rates are not going to go back down to the previous low rates. And while people are being re-hired, others are still being laid off.

On top of unemployment rates that are predicated to stay around 10%, we also have the highest rate of medically uninsured people in ten years. I hope people who are running for office start to talk about these crises and what they plan on doing about them.
Your children will never recover from another trillion dollar bail out....
Ignoring it doesn’t make it go away. It’s like having a family and making $500 per month less every month than your bills. You might charge things for awhile, get family money, borrow from a bank, but eventually you have to do something.

I worry most about the rising costs of healthcare and people just dropping it because it’s no longer affordable. That’s a shitty way to have to live.
This country can not afford another large bailout. Individuals need to figure it out. I don’t understand why so many are completely willing to destroy their children’s future quality of life to make things easy for themselves right now. If you can’t afford things, figure it out. Get a second job. Do what you have to do to support yourself and your family.
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Linda_Runs wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:49 am Canada's unemployment rate his 13.7 percent over this pandemic. It is expected to drop significantly by the end of August.
It’s a global recession, just like 2008. The US current unemployment rate is 13.3% and it’s expected to be drop to around 10% once everything is open.
Mommamia
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:24 am
Mommamia wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:22 pm
Lemons wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:11 pm

Oh, sorry, I thought we could continue discussing it. I wasn't too clear but I wanted to response that yes, I agree that the rates are not as high as two months ago but they are still scary high. And they are going to remain as high as they have been in past recessions, they aren't going back to "normal" when everyone opens up. When the unemployment has been this high before, the government moved on it. I don't see any movement in the White House or congress. It's a little worrisome.
More lies from you.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/peterferra ... president/

"The recession ended four years ago, according to the National Bureau of Economic Research. So Obamanomics has had plenty of time to produce a solid recovery. In fact, since the American historical record is the worse the recession, the stronger the recovery, Obama should have had an easy time producing a booming recovery by now.

Obama likes to tout that we are doing better now than at the worst of the recession. But every recovery is better than the recession, by definition. So that doesn’t mean much.

The right measure and comparison for Obama’s record is not to compare the recovery to the recession, but to compare Obama’s recovery with other recoveries from other recessions since the Great Depression. By that measure, what is clear is that Obamanomics has produced the worst recovery from a recession since the Great Depression, worse than what every other President who has faced a recession has achieved since the Great Depression."
Why are pulling up an opinion article from 7 years ago about a former president?

We are currently in a recession with the largest federal deficit in history. Healthcare costs have risen faster than wages over the last three and people are losing their benefits. And the people who will be hurt the most are middle class workers.

They need to start talking about the failing economy and what they will do to fix it, not which one of them is the most decrepit, 74 year old Trump or 77 year old Biden.
Pointing out the fallacy of Obama's gov't doing something to help the economy when he hit unemployment of 10%. What'd Obama do to try to bring us out of that recession? Why he spent $831B dollars. That's not counting Obamacare. Remember all of those shovel ready jobs, that 'weren't so shovel ready after all'?

We wouldn't be in this mess if the power hungry gov's, especially Dems, hadn't closed most of the states down.

Who's 'they'? Are you talking about Congress or Trump and Biden. Trump is doing what can be done with only part of the economy opening up. He'll get more accomplished when more people are allowed to go back to work.....if their job is still there. Biden? He hasn't done squat. He has no plan. He's waiting for his handlers to tell him what to say when they let him out of his basement.

It's lunacy for anyone to think he can accomplish a lot right now with protests and riots going on in cities all over this country for the last three weeks or more. Then you have those small businesses that had been forced to close with a lot of them unable to reopen. And the ones that were just starting to reopen in those cities devastated by protests and riots, most of those are out of business for good.

In a debate, Trump will steam roll right over the bumbling Biden. I'll bet the dems try to pull something to try and stop any debates between Trump and Biden.
Linda_Runs
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:09 pm
Linda_Runs wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:49 am Canada's unemployment rate his 13.7 percent over this pandemic. It is expected to drop significantly by the end of August.
It’s a global recession, just like 2008. The US current unemployment rate is 13.3% and it’s expected to be drop to around 10% once everything is open.
Canada is in what economists are called a "V" shaped recession. The good news is the TSX almost made it back most of the way at 16,000 points. In 2019 is was doing it's best ever in the 17,000s. Here is something interesting, Canada's GDP did take a dive during this pandemic but not as much as it did in some other years.
Locked Previous topicNext topic