1.5 million new unemployment claims last week alone

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

States are opening up but unemployment claims are still rising at a large rate. For the past 13 weeks more than 1 million people have filed for unemployment for the first time, every week. The previous record was 695,000 jobless claims in 1982.

This is people lining up in Kentucky to get help with their unemployment claims because the state hasn't paid most of them since their initial claims. Nice job Kentucky.
The unemployment rate remains the highest it has been since the Great Depression. The official rate for May was 13.3 percent, but the Bureau of Labor Statistics said that it would have been closer to 16.3 if not for an error in the data collection process.
No word from the White House on any plans to jump start the economy back up. Just the usual magical thinking like Kushner, who said:
"I think you'll see by June a lot of the country should be back to normal and the hope is that by July the country's really rocking again,

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business ... ronavirus/
mater-three
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsj.co ... 1592431795

Yes, unemployment claims are historically high but the rate has lowered since states have reopened.

By the way, I’m not going to subscribe to the Washington post just to read your link
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

mater-three wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:41 pm https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsj.co ... 1592431795

Yes, unemployment claims are historically high but the rate has lowered since states have reopened.

By the way, I’m not going to subscribe to the Washington post just to read your link
You can read about unemployment on any news site. This past week there were 1.5 million new claims. The government hasn't yet spoke of the need for a stimulus plan. A lot of jobs are not coming back and unemployment is expected to stay around 10%. Not as high as a month ago but higher than the 2009 recession.
mater-three
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:08 pm
mater-three wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:41 pm https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsj.co ... 1592431795

You can read about unemployment on any news site. This past week there were 1.5 million new claims. The government hasn't yet spoke of the need for a stimulus plan. A lot of jobs are not coming back and unemployment is expected to stay around 10%. Not as high as a month ago but higher than the 2009 recession.
I don’t know why you’re quoting me to say what I already said but that’s cool.
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

mater-three wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:48 pm

Oh, sorry, I thought we could continue discussing it. I wasn't too clear but I wanted to response that yes, I agree that the rates are not as high as two months ago but they are still scary high. And they are going to remain as high as they have been in past recessions, they aren't going back to "normal" when everyone opens up. When the unemployment has been this high before, the government moved on it. I don't see any movement in the White House or congress. It's a little worrisome.
mater-three
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:11 pm
mater-three wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:48 pm

Oh, sorry, I thought we could continue discussing it. I wasn't too clear but I wanted to response that yes, I agree that the rates are not as high as two months ago but they are still scary high. And they are going to remain as high as they have been in past recessions, they aren't going back to "normal" when everyone opens up. When the unemployment has been this high before, the government moved on it. I don't see any movement in the White House or congress. It's a little worrisome.
Don’t be sorry. This site has the tendency to put me on high alert with posters that I’m not familiar with. My response was a bit defensive. I don’t know that a stimulus will help that much. I got a job to make up for my husband’s lost wages during the shutdown.
Deleted User 244

Unread post

According to NPR, there was an overall slight decrease in unemployment.
Deleted User 244

Unread post

For the record, I really don’t like Trump for a ton of reasons, but acting like net new unemployment claims are up by 1.5 million is factually incorrect.
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

MC08 wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:30 pm For the record, I really don’t like Trump for a ton of reasons, but acting like net new unemployment claims are up by 1.5 million is factually incorrect.
It’s not all about Trump. It’s also about what Congress plans to propose, what Biden plants, etc. This is the beginning of a recession and they need to get start to work together.

I think you misread. I stated there were 1.5 million new claims filed last week. That is factually correct. I’m not sure why you wrote “up by”. Unemployment went down when states started opening up but that the rates are not going to go back down to the previous low rates. And while people are being re-hired, others are still being laid off.

On top of unemployment rates that are predicated to stay around 10%, we also have the highest rate of medically uninsured people in ten years. I hope people who are running for office start to talk about these crises and what they plan on doing about them.
Deleted User 244

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:28 pm
MC08 wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:30 pm For the record, I really don’t like Trump for a ton of reasons, but acting like net new unemployment claims are up by 1.5 million is factually incorrect.
It’s not all about Trump. It’s also about what Congress plans to propose, what Biden plants, etc. This is the beginning of a recession and they need to get start to work together.

I think you misread. I stated there were 1.5 million new claims filed last week. That is factually correct. I’m not sure why you wrote “up by”. Unemployment went down when states started opening up but that the rates are not going to go back down to the previous low rates. And while people are being re-hired, others are still being laid off.

On top of unemployment rates that are predicated to stay around 10%, we also have the highest rate of medically uninsured people in ten years. I hope people who are running for office start to talk about these crises and what they plan on doing about them.
Your children will never recover from another trillion dollar bail out....
Locked Previous topicNext topic