Charges in Atlanta's Brooks case.

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
jessilin0113
Regent
Regent

Unread post

BionicBunny wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:25 pm
jessilin0113 wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:02 pm
BionicBunny wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:06 pm

I’m not going to fault an officer who was attacked and had a weapon pointed at him. It was in the heat of the moment. Nobody wants death but how stupid are you to think you won’t get shot if you attack and threaten a cop? You have to be pretty damn stupid. I feel that the officers life matters as well.
There is no excuse for shooting someone with a non-lethal weapon the back as they are running away. Sometimes they can just let them go. They had his car. They knew who he was. He was drunk and tired. He wasn't gonna get far. You dont have to whip out a gun and shoot for every damn thing.
You can make all the excuses you want for the criminal but until you are put in the position where your life is in danger and you have to think quick then you can’t tell an officer he shouldn’t defend himself.
His life wasn't remotely close to being in danger.
jessilin0113
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Mommamia wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:22 pm
BionicBunny wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:06 pm

I’m not going to fault an officer who was attacked and had a weapon pointed at him. It was in the heat of the moment. Nobody wants death but how stupid are you to think you won’t get shot if you attack and threaten a cop? You have to be pretty damn stupid. I feel that the officers life matters as well.
There is no excuse for shooting someone with a non-lethal weapon the back as they are running away. Sometimes they can just let them go. They had his car. They knew who he was. He was drunk and tired. He wasn't gonna get far. You dont have to whip out a gun and shoot for every damn thing.
You really should do a little research before you spout the same bs comment after comment. A taser is a lethal weapon under GA law.

The Fulton County DA, Paul Howard can't have it both ways.

"Earlier this month, Howard charged six Atlanta police officers with using excessive force in pulling two college students out of a car during a protest. In justifying charges of aggravated assault against some of the officers, Howard said a Taser is considered a deadly weapon under Georgia law.

If true, Rolfe could claim his life was in danger when Brooks aimed the Taser at him, and therefore discharging his handgun was justified."
Tasers have a range of about 15 feet only. Brooks was 18 feet away when he was shot. In the back. While running away. While drunk.
BionicBunny
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I don’t think I’m smart and I don’t feel the need to prove my intelligence to people online who mean absolutely nothing to me. I could say something about your intelligence but I feel you have already proven yourself to the group and not exactly the way you think either.
moviestar wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:52 pm if only you were as smart as you think you are, bunny, you could really be something. I mean, maybe the most mediocre something ever, but definitely something.
BionicBunny wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:43 pm Perfect! Ridiculous reply for the currently most ridiculous member in the group. All for you. 😉
moviestar wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:37 pm f**k does that even mean, you are so ridiculous
BionicBunny
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

jessilin0113 wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:33 pm

You really should do a little research before you spout the same bs comment after comment. A taser is a lethal weapon under GA law.

"Earlier this month, Howard charged six Atlanta police officers with using excessive force in pulling two college students out of a car during a protest. In justifying charges of aggravated assault against some of the officers, Howard said a Taser is considered a deadly weapon under Georgia law.

If true, Rolfe could claim his life was in danger when Brooks aimed the Taser at him, and therefore discharging his handgun was justified."
Tasers have a range of about 15 feet only. Brooks was 18 feet away when he was shot. In the back. While running away. While drunk.
That’s a three foot difference. Do you think the officer was out there with a measuring tape to make sure the guy pointing a weapon at him is close enough to hit him?
jessilin0113
Regent
Regent

Unread post

BionicBunny wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:36 pm

That’s a three foot difference. Do you think the officer was out there with a measuring tape to make sure the guy pointing a weapon at him is close enough to hit him?
No. But where the guy was, and I cant stress this part enough, running away, its safe to assume the distance was only increasing.
BionicBunny
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

jessilin0113 wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:29 pm
BionicBunny wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:25 pm

You can make all the excuses you want for the criminal but until you are put in the position where your life is in danger and you have to think quick then you can’t tell an officer he shouldn’t defend himself.
His life wasn't remotely close to being in danger.
When someone points a weapon at you it is in danger at that moment. You don’t have time to think about little details you could think about after the incident is over. You have to react in seconds. When you see something pointed at you you treat it as a threat. It could be a taser, it could be a man walking towards you with a knife, it could be a shovel, any weapon.
BionicBunny
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

jessilin0113 wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:38 pm

No. But where the guy was, and I cant stress this part enough, running away, its safe to assume the distance was only increasing.
And I can’t stress enough that in the heat of the moment, after being violently attacked, you don’t stand there and assume anything. You don’t have time to assume. Again, you have seconds to react! You can’t afford to assume.
moviestar
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

You will of course understand if I don’t accept the premise that your perception is in any way a reflection of some kind of group consensus.
BionicBunny wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:34 pm I don’t think I’m smart and I don’t feel the need to prove my intelligence topeople online who mean absolutely nothing to me. I could say something about your intelligence but I feel you have already proven yourself to the group and not exactly the way you think either.
moviestar wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:52 pm if only you were as smart as you think you are, bunny, you could really be something. I mean, maybe the most mediocre something ever, but definitely something.
BionicBunny wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:43 pm Perfect! Ridiculous reply for the currently most ridiculous member in the group. All for you. 😉

Mommamia
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:52 pm From the article you posted:

“During that 2 minutes and 12 seconds, Officer Rolfe actually kicked Mr. Brooks as he laid on the ground, while he was there fighting for his life,” Howard said. “Officer Brosnan actually stood on Mr. Brooks shoulder.”

Howard said his office concluded at time of Brooks’ death, he did not pose a threat to the officers. He said Brooks was running away from the officers when Rolfe shot him in the back two times.

“We have also concluded that Rolfe was aware that the Taser in Brooks’ possession, it was fired twice, and once it’s fired twice it presented no danger to him or to any other persons,” Howard said."

Charges are absolutely appropriate.
There is no proof that the cop stood on Brooks's shoulder, just a still of his foot at an angle that could have been when he was leaning down to administer CPR. A body cam shows them talking to him trying to get him to talk back to them, hold on, that kind of thing. If there was proof of Howard's claims, there would be videos all over the internet showing it. Don't forget there are the body cams, and nothing of the sort was found on them.

Howard even showed a video at his press conference stating that the taser Brooks shot at the cop went right over his head. That means he was aiming for the cops face. That there makes it a deadly weapon, even if it weren't already a lethal weapon under GA law.

Who is Howard to claim that Rolfe was aware that the taser was fired twice? Was he there? In the middle of a pursuit of a criminal that has fired a taser at you, could you say how many times that taser was fired?

Howard can't charge him with anything yet. This has to go to a grand jury first. The grand jury decides if there is enough evidence to charge someone for a crime, any major crime.

This DA has way over charged an act that should have been declared self defense.
Mommamia
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

jessilin0113 wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:38 pm

You can stress anything you want until the cows come home, but it doesn't make you right. And for the umpteenth time, while Brooks was running, he turned and fired the taser at the cop. That made him a dangerous criminal.
Locked Previous topicNext topic