Quaker to end Aunt Jemima branding

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:14 am
MonarchMom wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:39 am
Valentina327 wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:51 pm

My sister and I were talking about that this afternoon. Instead of leaving prominent, well known black faces in place (Gone With The Wind/Ms. McDaniel) they're making them disappear.
"Gone With The Wind" has not disapperred. It was briefly removed from one streaming platform (HBO) and is back up with an introduction that gives some context to the historically inaccurate portrayals in the movie. Still out there with millions of copies in book form, DVD, Blue Ray, move video collections, libraries, etc. And while Ms. McDaniel did win an Oscar for the performance, it is not a screen role most Black leaders would see as "prominent" or a role model.

Also interesting - McDaniel was forced to sit in the back of the room at the Oscars that year. The Cocoanut Grove venue had a “no blacks” policy, she was only allowed in after producer David Selznick made a special request. Nor could she attend the movie premier in Atlanta due to segregation.
It should also be noted that McDaniel was not invited to the premiere of “Gone With the Wind” in 1939. The premiere was held in Atlanta, Georgia, which at the time had strict segregation laws. Selznick attempted to get some of the Black actors who worked on the film, including McDaniel, invited to the premiere, but MGM studios advised against it because she would not have been allowed to sit in the theater with her white co-stars.
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/hatti ... cars-seat/
I don’t care for the mammy role either but being the first Black woman to win an Oscar is an achievement.
Agree totally. She was an amazing actress. The problem is the limited ways that POC were depicted in film, not the actress' work.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

MonarchMom wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:08 am
SouthernIslander wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:14 am

"Gone With The Wind" has not disapperred. It was briefly removed from one streaming platform (HBO) and is back up with an introduction that gives some context to the historically inaccurate portrayals in the movie. Still out there with millions of copies in book form, DVD, Blue Ray, move video collections, libraries, etc. And while Ms. McDaniel did win an Oscar for the performance, it is not a screen role most Black leaders would see as "prominent" or a role model.

Also interesting - McDaniel was forced to sit in the back of the room at the Oscars that year. The Cocoanut Grove venue had a “no blacks” policy, she was only allowed in after producer David Selznick made a special request. Nor could she attend the movie premier in Atlanta due to segregation.

I don’t care for the mammy role either but being the first Black woman to win an Oscar is an achievement.
Agree totally. She was an amazing actress. The problem is the limited ways that POC were depicted in film, not the actress' work.
Yes, we had some talented actresses back then.
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Frau Holle wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:37 pm Does anyone else see a problem with this?

In an effort to combat racism, Americans are taking all Black and Native American faces off of packaging, leaving only White faces lining the isles.
My sister and I were talking about that this afternoon. Instead of leaving prominent, well known black faces in place (Gone With The Wind/Ms. McDaniel) they're making them disappear.

It should also be noted that McDaniel was not invited to the premiere of “Gone With the Wind” in 1939. The premiere was held in Atlanta, Georgia, which at the time had strict segregation laws. Selznick attempted to get some of the Black actors who worked on the film, including McDaniel, invited to the premiere, but MGM studios advised against it because she would not have been allowed to sit in the theater with her white co-stars.
As all pioneers do, she forged the way under less than optimal conditions, opening the doors for countless others behind them. That's what pioneers do. Things are rarely ideal when those breaking through barriers strike out.

That's what the times were when she broke through. I don't think it's fair to her to let societal norms at the time diminish or tarnish what was a great achievement.

Why can't we just say that was an accomplishment and not complain about "but, but, but ..." I think that's very disrespectful every time I see someone whining about where she had to sit, where she was allowed to go, etc. All bringing that up does is dilute what were talking about. It really irks me because it takes away from the topic.

We all know what went on. We all know that it sucked. We all know that it was beyond wrong and should have never, ever been a norm in the first place. We don't need to have that follow the woman around as part of her story. That shouldn't always be a footnote.
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Valentina327 wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:35 am

As all pioneers do, she forged the way under less than optimal conditions, opening the doors for countless others behind them. That's what pioneers do. Things are rarely ideal when those breaking through barriers strike out.

That's what the times were when she broke through. I don't think it's fair to her to let societal norms at the time diminish or tarnish what was a great achievement.

Why can't we just say that was an accomplishment and not complain about "but, but, but ..." I think that's very disrespectful every time I see someone whining about where she had to sit, where she was allowed to go, etc. All bringing that up does is dilute what were talking about. It really irks me because it takes away from the topic.

We all know what went on. We all know that it sucked. We all know that it was beyond wrong and should have never, ever been a norm in the first place. We don't need to have that follow the woman around as part of her story. That shouldn't always be a footnote.
Agree to disagree. I do not find it at all disrespectful to her to acknowledge how unfairly she was treated while doing Oscar caliber work on a film. It isn't just a "footnote" to be excluded from restaurants, hotels and theaters, even as they profited from her work.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Valentina327 wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:35 am

I noticed the passage (not Monarch) did seem a little dismissive that she was the first Black woman to win an Oscar.

But it’s not disrespectful or whining to acknowledge the racial adversity that she faced to get there because it equally important.

They were younger than Mrs. McDaniel and I was extremely young. But I was incredibly lucky to be old enough to remember her generation (my great grands) before they passed and what they were strong enough to survive so I would have a better life, even though we have a long ways to go. Unfortunately the younger generations don’t have that luxury, so it’s important to acknowledge that.
Locked Previous topicNext topic