Quaker to end Aunt Jemima branding

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Lexy wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:02 pm
WellPreserved wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:38 pm
LittleMermaid wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:16 pm "uncle ben" was a real black man named ben something who became rich from his high quality rice. they added "uncle" to make the brand sound warmer. you know, family can be trusted sort of thing.

aunt jemima did look racist in vintage ads when she was depicted like the stereotype of the mammy. but her update just looks like a modern black woman. so whatever, IDC. again I don't buy their products any way. who in the hell eats par boiled rice? its gross.
Who was this rich rice producer? Do we know his last name?
Gordon L. Harwell
How does Gordon Harwell translate to "Uncle Ben" dressed as a maitre de? Probably because in the 1940s, suburban housewives would have been uncomfortable with the image of a black successful rice grower on the package of rice in their kitchen?
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Lexy
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Thelma Harper wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:37 pm
WellPreserved wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:38 pm

Who was this rich rice producer? Do we know his last name?
Gordon L. Harwell
He was a Texas food broker. Not Uncle Ben.

https://www.womenshealthmag.com/life/a3 ... al-person/
Sorry I have been having wifi issues all day. I thought my link and quote posted.
Gordon L Harwell
Featured snippet from the web
According to Mars, Uncle Ben was an African-American rice grower known for the quality of his rice. Gordon L. Harwell, an entrepreneur who had supplied rice to the armed forces in World War II, chose the name Uncle Ben's as a means to expand his marketing efforts to the general public.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncle_Ben%27s
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:15 pm
Thelma Harper wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:22 pm
SouthernIslander wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:47 pm

My father use to make old fashion pancakes (just flour and water maybe?) with cane syrup. It was the best.

It is a lost art and that’s sad. I actually like it better than maple.
Yeah, my momma talked about those. She made some corn cakes fried in bacon grease that were so good with some cane syrup. It's good on grilled cheese too, lol.
Now I’m gonna have to call home to see if anyone can find it. Lol I think I’ll have better luck in the country.
Lol. Let me know if you can't get it and I'll get some for you next time I'm up that way.
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Lexy wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:17 pm
Thelma Harper wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:37 pm

Gordon L. Harwell
He was a Texas food broker. Not Uncle Ben.

https://www.womenshealthmag.com/life/a3 ... al-person/
Sorry I have been having wifi issues all day. I thought my link and quote posted.
Gordon L Harwell
Featured snippet from the web
According to Mars, Uncle Ben was an African-American rice grower known for the quality of his rice. Gordon L. Harwell, an entrepreneur who had supplied rice to the armed forces in World War II, chose the name Uncle Ben's as a means to expand his marketing efforts to the general public.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncle_Ben%27s
Where does that connect "Uncle Ben" as being involved in this converted rice? It was purely a marketing ploy.
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Thelma Harper wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:25 am
SouthernIslander wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:15 pm
Thelma Harper wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:22 pm

Yeah, my momma talked about those. She made some corn cakes fried in bacon grease that were so good with some cane syrup. It's good on grilled cheese too, lol.
Now I’m gonna have to call home to see if anyone can find it. Lol I think I’ll have better luck in the country.
Lol. Let me know if you can't get it and I'll get some for you next time I'm up that way.

Will do lady! Thank you! 🤗
Carpy
Regent
Regent

Unread post

MonarchMom wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:31 am
jessilin0113 wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:26 am https://www.theonion.com/quaker-oats-re ... 1844015205

This was last week, lol.

Screenshot_20200617-082627_Chrome.jpg
Once again, The Onion is ahead of it's time!

But in fact there have been appeals to the company to end this branding from many years. Most notably in an editorial in 2015 by professor Riché Richardson.
There have been repeated calls for the company to change the logo. In a 2015 opinion piece published in the New York Times, Cornell University professor Riché Richardson said the logo is "very much linked to Southern racism."
Richardson said the Aunt Jemima logo is based on a "'mammy,' a devoted and submissive servant who eagerly nurtured the children of her white master and mistress while neglecting her own." A statue of a slave mammy stereotype was approved by the US Senate in 1923, but it was never built.
https://apnews.com/e71abe3b6e25e05fb7c7 ... SocialFlow
Her grandson is upset that they are removing her image.
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Frau Holle wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:37 pm Does anyone else see a problem with this?

In an effort to combat racism, Americans are taking all Black and Native American faces off of packaging, leaving only White faces lining the isles.
My sister and I were talking about that this afternoon. Instead of leaving prominent, well known black faces in place (Gone With The Wind/Ms. McDaniel) they're making them disappear.
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/
Inmybizz
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Uncle Ben’s is changing and LandO Lakes butter have joined in as well.
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Valentina327 wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:51 pm
Frau Holle wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:37 pm Does anyone else see a problem with this?

In an effort to combat racism, Americans are taking all Black and Native American faces off of packaging, leaving only White faces lining the isles.
My sister and I were talking about that this afternoon. Instead of leaving prominent, well known black faces in place (Gone With The Wind/Ms. McDaniel) they're making them disappear.
"Gone With The Wind" has not disapperred. It was briefly removed from one streaming platform (HBO) and is back up with an introduction that gives some context to the historically inaccurate portrayals in the movie. Still out there with millions of copies in book form, DVD, Blue Ray, move video collections, libraries, etc. And while Ms. McDaniel did win an Oscar for the performance, it is not a screen role most Black leaders would see as "prominent" or a role model.

Also interesting - McDaniel was forced to sit in the back of the room at the Oscars that year. The Cocoanut Grove venue had a “no blacks” policy, she was only allowed in after producer David Selznick made a special request. Nor could she attend the movie premier in Atlanta due to segregation.
It should also be noted that McDaniel was not invited to the premiere of “Gone With the Wind” in 1939. The premiere was held in Atlanta, Georgia, which at the time had strict segregation laws. Selznick attempted to get some of the Black actors who worked on the film, including McDaniel, invited to the premiere, but MGM studios advised against it because she would not have been allowed to sit in the theater with her white co-stars.
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/hatti ... cars-seat/
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

MonarchMom wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:39 am
Valentina327 wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:51 pm

"Gone With The Wind" has not disapperred. It was briefly removed from one streaming platform (HBO) and is back up with an introduction that gives some context to the historically inaccurate portrayals in the movie. Still out there with millions of copies in book form, DVD, Blue Ray, move video collections, libraries, etc. And while Ms. McDaniel did win an Oscar for the performance, it is not a screen role most Black leaders would see as "prominent" or a role model.

Also interesting - McDaniel was forced to sit in the back of the room at the Oscars that year. The Cocoanut Grove venue had a “no blacks” policy, she was only allowed in after producer David Selznick made a special request. Nor could she attend the movie premier in Atlanta due to segregation.
It should also be noted that McDaniel was not invited to the premiere of “Gone With the Wind” in 1939. The premiere was held in Atlanta, Georgia, which at the time had strict segregation laws. Selznick attempted to get some of the Black actors who worked on the film, including McDaniel, invited to the premiere, but MGM studios advised against it because she would not have been allowed to sit in the theater with her white co-stars.
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/hatti ... cars-seat/
I don’t care for the mammy role either but being the first Black woman to win an Oscar is an achievement.
Locked Previous topicNext topic