Quaker to end Aunt Jemima branding

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

BTW - Cream of Wheat is also making changes. What is up with breakfast foods?
The breakfast food — first manufactured in 1893 — has long been criticized for its use of Rastus, a smiling African-American chef whose name has been shorthand for a derogatory slur against African-American men and whose visage has been criticized for being stereotypically subservient. The character of Rastus has appeared in numerous minstrel shows dating back to the 1800s.
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/cre ... 58110.html
SoFloMom
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I remember being a kid and my grandmother absolutely HATING Aunt Jemima because of the mammy stereotype.
We never ever used it.

I think it’s about damn time.
Deleted User 670

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:41 am
pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:37 pm
AZLizardLady wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:28 pm I grew-up using Mrs. Butterworths and Aunt Jemima's syrup on my pancakes and waffles. Pretty much these two brands, IIRC, were basically it. Plus, they tasted good IMO. We still use both and because of the taste.

Same with Uncle Ben's Rice and also their beans, which I only recently discovered the latter a few months ago. Again, product is great and the taste to US is worth it.

While I just cannot wrap my mind around this "cancel culture" thing, I will still buy these products I've mentioned because once more, we prefer them. IOW, regardless if the packaging is changed entirely or at least altered, they've still got customers in us.

We used Vermont Maid syrup. I used to call it "Lucy Syrup" I have no clue why though. I buy pure maple syrup. Aunt Jemima's and Mrs. Butterworth's are mostly corn syrup.

That logo could certainly use an update. So I was interested in what’s in this Syrup now and I looked it up. They actually have updated the picture since the one in your picture of the bottle and it looks more like a woman from this era.

And the company used to make the syrup with sugar cane and maple sugar. They sold the company way back and now they only use maple flavoring and other unpronounceable ingredients.
Yeah I know. It hasn't been available in the stores around here for decades. I had to ask my mom what the brand of syrup that she bought that I called Lucy Syrup because I had no clue. All of those corporate brands of syrup aren't even maple Syrup anymore.
Deleted User 1583

Unread post

"uncle ben" was a real black man named ben something who became rich from his high quality rice. they added "uncle" to make the brand sound warmer. you know, family can be trusted sort of thing.

aunt jemima did look racist in vintage ads when she was depicted like the stereotype of the mammy. but her update just looks like a modern black woman. so whatever, IDC. again I don't buy their products any way. who in the hell eats par boiled rice? its gross.
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

LittleMermaid wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:16 pm "uncle ben" was a real black man named ben something who became rich from his high quality rice. they added "uncle" to make the brand sound warmer. you know, family can be trusted sort of thing.

aunt jemima did look racist in vintage ads when she was depicted like the stereotype of the mammy. but her update just looks like a modern black woman. so whatever, IDC. again I don't buy their products any way. who in the hell eats par boiled rice? its gross.
'Uncle" was a common form of address used for older Black men because "Sir" and "Mr." were considered to convey too much respect and authority. It is not "warmer" in any way.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

LittleMermaid wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:16 pm "uncle ben" was a real black man named ben something who became rich from his high quality rice. they added "uncle" to make the brand sound warmer. you know, family can be trusted sort of thing.

Who was this rich rice producer? Do we know his last name?
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Lexy
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:38 pm

Gordon L. Harwell
Deleted User 1583

Unread post

MonarchMom wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:36 pm

'Uncle" was a common form of address used for older Black men because "Sir" and "Mr." were considered to convey too much respect and authority. It is not "warmer" in any way.
well, that's what the company claims. my dad's BFF was our uncle Rich, he wasn't black.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Lexy wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:02 pm
WellPreserved wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:38 pm

Gordon L. Harwell
He was a Texas food broker. Not Uncle Ben.

https://www.womenshealthmag.com/life/a3 ... al-person/
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

LittleMermaid wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:35 pm
MonarchMom wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:36 pm

well, that's what the company claims. my dad's BFF was our uncle Rich, he wasn't black.
They word it to look like they claim that.

https://web.archive.org/web/20060427094 ... about.aspx
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Locked Previous topicNext topic