Quaker to end Aunt Jemima branding

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Deleted User 1577

Unread post

LittleMermaid wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:43 pm
Frau Holle wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:37 pm Does anyone else see a problem with this?

In an effort to combat racism, Americans are taking all Black and Native American faces off of packaging, leaving only White faces lining the isles.
they make up for it by replacing white characters with POC in TV reboots and movies.
When it comes to products it more than likely will be a generic symbol or no symbol at all.
Deleted User 203

Unread post

I grew-up using Mrs. Butterworths and Aunt Jemima's syrup on my pancakes and waffles. Pretty much these two brands, IIRC, were basically it. Plus, they tasted good IMO. We still use both and because of the taste.

Same with Uncle Ben's Rice and also their beans, which I only recently discovered the latter a few months ago. Again, product is great and the taste to US is worth it.

While I just cannot wrap my mind around this "cancel culture" thing, I will still buy these products I've mentioned because once more, we prefer them. IOW, regardless if the packaging is changed entirely or at least altered, they've still got customers in us.
Deleted User 670

Unread post

I think they should throw a shit load of money to Tyler Perry and rename them "Madea's Pancakes" and "Madea's Syrup" with Madea's picture on the package. Replace a make believe black woman of slavery and servitude with a make believe black woman who don't take shit from nobody but will still feed you, lol.
Deleted User 670

Unread post

AZLizardLady wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:28 pm I grew-up using Mrs. Butterworths and Aunt Jemima's syrup on my pancakes and waffles. Pretty much these two brands, IIRC, were basically it. Plus, they tasted good IMO. We still use both and because of the taste.

Same with Uncle Ben's Rice and also their beans, which I only recently discovered the latter a few months ago. Again, product is great and the taste to US is worth it.

While I just cannot wrap my mind around this "cancel culture" thing, I will still buy these products I've mentioned because once more, we prefer them. IOW, regardless if the packaging is changed entirely or at least altered, they've still got customers in us.

We used Vermont Maid syrup. I used to call it "Lucy Syrup" I have no clue why though. I buy pure maple syrup. Aunt Jemima's and Mrs. Butterworth's are mostly corn syrup.

DSamuels
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Frau Holle wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:01 pm That isn’t the history. They modeled her after a real person.
She was a white stage actress that used to perform in blackface.
That’s where the “Aunt Jemima” name came from. Her face was from Nancy Green, a black woman from Kentucky.
Never explain - your friends do not need it and your enemies will not believe you anyway. - Elbert Hubbard

Keep up - Calm Down - Pay Attention
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:37 pm
AZLizardLady wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:28 pm I grew-up using Mrs. Butterworths and Aunt Jemima's syrup on my pancakes and waffles. Pretty much these two brands, IIRC, were basically it. Plus, they tasted good IMO. We still use both and because of the taste.

We used Vermont Maid syrup. I used to call it "Lucy Syrup" I have no clue why though. I buy pure maple syrup. Aunt Jemima's and Mrs. Butterworth's are mostly corn syrup.

That logo could certainly use an update. So I was interested in what’s in this Syrup now and I looked it up. They actually have updated the picture since the one in your picture of the bottle and it looks more like a woman from this era.

And the company used to make the syrup with sugar cane and maple sugar. They sold the company way back and now they only use maple flavoring and other unpronounceable ingredients.
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Frau Holle wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:37 pm Does anyone else see a problem with this?

In an effort to combat racism, Americans are taking all Black and Native American faces off of packaging, leaving only White faces lining the isles.
Are there a lot of "white" faces on products these days? I guess I have not noticed or don't buy a lot of products that use faces for branding. I can only think of Betty Crocker, from the 1920's, who was depicted as a home maker but not a servant. And her image has become less "white" over time to appeal to a broader audience.

I'm sure there are more, but none I can think of that are demeaning in the way the Aunt Jemima image has been over the years.
Frau Holle
Regent
Regent

Unread post

MonarchMom wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:19 am

Are there a lot of "white" faces on products these days? I guess I have not noticed or don't buy a lot of products that use faces for branding. I can only think of Betty Crocker, from the 1920's, who was depicted as a home maker but not a servant. And her image has become less "white" over time to appeal to a broader audience.

I'm sure there are more, but none I can think of that are demeaning in the way the Aunt Jemima image has been over the years.
There’s Mr Clean, and the Sunscreen Baby, The Pringles guy, Sarah Lee, Chef Boyardee, the Sunmaid Raisins girl... the list goes on and on.

Are all the PoC logos racist and all the white ones are ok?
“ I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night “ - Sarah Williams
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Frau Holle wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:33 am

There’s Mr Clean, and the Sunscreen Baby, The Pringles guy, Sarah Lee, Chef Boyardee, the Sunmaid Raisins girl... the list goes on and on.

I heard Boyardee was a phonetic spelling of the founders name which was Italian. Boradi or something like that. It comes down to this. Quaker wants to sell syrup. If they believe Aunt Jemina is outdated and no one will buy it they'll change the image. It's just a marketing strategy not an attempt at social justice. I use whatever brand doesn't have high fructose corn syrup which I think is Log Cabin. Another marketing strategy I'm sure but it works. Its like Camel cigarettes getting rid of the Joe Camel cartoon due to pressure and lawsuits. I'm sure Quaker doesn't want to see that happen either.
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Frau Holle wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:33 am

That is a lot! And, as I suspected, I don't buy any of those items...

I don't know if "all the PoC" depictions are racist, but Aunt Jemima and Uncle Ben were both based on ideas of Black people as enslaved or servants. So people do find them insulting. It was common in the South to call an older Black man "Uncle" because "Sir" was considered too formal and conveyed too much respect. It is not a term of endearment.
Locked Previous topicNext topic