Quaker to end Aunt Jemima branding

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

After many years of complaints, Quaker will stop using the "Aunt Jemima" branding and image on products. The original image was a depiction of an enslaved female cook, and ads often used demeaning language. Though it has been updated over the years, many still object to the origin and slave references.

The company announced the image will be removed by the end of 2020, and a new name will also be announced.

“We recognize Aunt Jemima’s origins are based on a racial stereotype," Kristin Kroepfl, vice president and chief marketing officer of Quaker Foods North America, said in a statement to NBC News. "While work has been done over the years to update the brand in a manner intended to be appropriate and respectful, we realize those changes are not enough.”

Quaker Oats, a subsidiary of PepsiCo, owns the Aunt Jemima brand, which has been around for more than 130 years. The logo features an image of a smiling Black woman that has been criticized for years for depicting a racist stereotype dating back to slavery. The company has made changes to soften the image over the years, including removing the character's kerchief.

Pepsi also said the Aunt Jemima brand will donate $5 million to create "meaningful, ongoing support and engagement in the Black community."
https://www.yahoo.com/news/aunt-jemima- ... 46245.html
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Well it's about bloody time.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
jessilin0113
Regent
Regent

Unread post

MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

jessilin0113 wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:26 am https://www.theonion.com/quaker-oats-re ... 1844015205

This was last week, lol.

Screenshot_20200617-082627_Chrome.jpg
Once again, The Onion is ahead of it's time!

But in fact there have been appeals to the company to end this branding from many years. Most notably in an editorial in 2015 by professor Riché Richardson.
There have been repeated calls for the company to change the logo. In a 2015 opinion piece published in the New York Times, Cornell University professor Riché Richardson said the logo is "very much linked to Southern racism."
Richardson said the Aunt Jemima logo is based on a "'mammy,' a devoted and submissive servant who eagerly nurtured the children of her white master and mistress while neglecting her own." A statue of a slave mammy stereotype was approved by the US Senate in 1923, but it was never built.
https://apnews.com/e71abe3b6e25e05fb7c7 ... SocialFlow
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

I made cornbread this weekend and figured Quaker would probably jump on the bandwagon like 100 years late. Lol
carterscutie85
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Well damn I didn't know that history. I buy their syrup lol. They used to make an oatmeal that was called cinnamon french toast oatmeal..OMG best oatmeal ever.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

carterscutie85 wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:00 am Well damn I didn't know that history. I buy their syrup lol. They used to make an oatmeal that was called cinnamon french toast oatmeal..OMG best oatmeal ever.
I use the syrup and cornmeal.
DSamuels
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I buy one bottle of whatever brand the squatty microwave bottle is and refill it with Kroger butter flavor syrup. I am cheap on some things.
Never explain - your friends do not need it and your enemies will not believe you anyway. - Elbert Hubbard

Keep up - Calm Down - Pay Attention
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Yikes - people actually use that syrup?? One of the best foods the US has to offer is real Maple syrup - all our friends from Europe ask for it whenever they come here.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

MonarchMom wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:20 am Yikes - people actually use that syrup?? One of the best foods the US has to offer is real Maple syrup - all our friends from Europe ask for it whenever they come here.
Yeap, I know a lot of people who use it. One of my friends just posted on IG mad because she thought they were gonna pull it. 😂😂😂.
Locked Previous topicNext topic