Powerful video about the protests!

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
cgd5112
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

This a short video where Kimberley Jones talks about the protests. If you have time, please watch it.

WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

The Monopoly analogy was particularly powerful.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Deleted User 1577

Unread post

She doesn’t explain how some people break that cycle and become successful. Nor does she explain how some people are just opportunists who will walk through that broken glass door because it was there for the taking. They don’t really need it, but it was there and then they turn around and sell in on Facebook or Craig’s list. Nor does she explain that there are people who don’t want to work, but just stand there with their hand out.
cgd5112
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

And she doesn't need to explain it all. Just like no one is tasked to explain why there are still so many whites living below poverty and getting government handouts. There will always be the exemption to a common occurrence. The sad reality is that it is an exemption; and that's what is also at the heart of her argument.The overall arc of her argument is the racist prevalence towards AA and POC in America. To focus on the looters and the rioters is dismissing the reasons why the protests are happening. She is clear in asking people to ask for the CAUSE of looting, rioting, and protests. The onus for change and most importantly the HOW of change and WHEN of change, does not rest on the protesters. The answers should come from our society and legislators.

And looting is not a matter of need. She addresses that. They are no longer or at that moment not giving a shit. So the question is WHY? When people have nothing to lose and so little to gain, and live the day to survive (not just economically but ethnically, socially, etc), they will react in different ways.

She makes a good point about how we can focus on the looters and rioters as an excuse to dismiss what is at the heart of these protests. It's easier to dismiss when you lump this movement as criminal, instead of looking at the systemic racism they are protesting whilst putting their lives on the line to demand change.

SilentNeko wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:42 am She doesn’t explain how some people break that cycle and become successful. Nor does she explain how some people are just opportunists who will walk through that broken glass door because it was there for the taking. They don’t really need it, but it was there and then they turn around and sell in on Facebook or Craig’s list. Nor does she explain that there are people who don’t want to work, but just stand there with their hand out.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I'm never going to believe rioting is the answer. I understand why people have gotten to that point. They haven't been heard. They're sick and tired. I get that. But they still hurt the innocent- even their own people. And it simply doesn't sit well with me. It won't stop me from fighting for the cause to stop racism. But I don't have to agree with everything everyone does either.
KendallsMom
Spoiled SAHM
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I've seen this already.

I agree with it.
Locked Previous topicNext topic