Statue removal s/o

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
californiagirl83
Regent
Regent

Unread post

For those who feel we should remove confederate and other questionable statues, who would you replace them with?
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

californiagirl83 wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:37 pm For those who feel we should remove confederate and other questionable statues, who would you replace them with?
I don't think it's necessary for them to be replaced. Put a plaque in their place indicating that they were taken down (that's the significant event). If at a later time a community wants to erect a statue to one of it's prominent citizens, then address at that time. But every park, intersection, lobby does not need a statue.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Frau Holle
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I’d vote spongebob.

A beloved American classic, reverence all over the world.
“ I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night “ - Sarah Williams
Deleted User 172

Unread post

Frau Holle wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:54 pm I’d vote spongebob.

A beloved American classic, reverence all over the world.
I'd like to nominate Homer Simpson.
Deleted User 1616

Unread post

I am sure they will be replaced with some hideous liberal post modern garbage.

jessilin0113
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Local interest would be nice, instead of Confederate losers.

My town has a statue of a guy that surveyed and laid out the city and surrounding areas. Didn't traffic humans, which is nice...
unveiling-296x300.jpg
unveiling-296x300.jpg (25.8 KiB) Viewed 675 times
And this one, done with a public art grant...

twins-sculpture-with.jpg
Attachments
unveiling-296x300.jpg
unveiling-296x300.jpg (25.8 KiB) Viewed 675 times
29again
Regent
Regent

Unread post

In my town there are only 4 statues (or monuments) at each corner of the court square. They represent a value, like work, or education.. But there is practically no history here, not much is saved. I think it is sad, that we don't seem to value our past. Yet this year is the 200th anniversary of my town. So many things have been cancelled so nobody talks about it, the only thing I DO remember about the celebrations is there was a commissioned craft beer and a commemorative rifle made. Local history is just not taught anywhere, and there is nothing on the web because, hello -- real small town here! And wiki is so informative, ya know.

I spent a bit over 5 months in Paris while in college, and the one thing that is so prominent in my memories is all the statues and monuments. Walk down a little street and there is a fountain dedicated to someone, a couple blocks down is a statue of some historical personnage. It was amazing to me that the Parisians tried so hard to remember those little bits of their history. I really enjoyed looking at them as I walked around. There are buildings that have been erected for hundreds of years, and we have trouble here keeping one up for a few decades... it is sad. I wish that we (or I) knew more of the local history, that there could be those monuments and statues to keep some things in mind.
Expand your thinking

It’s possible to disagree with an article and not respond with a personal attack you know.
Try it.
hmmm666
Countess
Countess

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:53 pm
californiagirl83 wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:37 pm For those who feel we should remove confederate and other questionable statues, who would you replace them with?
I don't think it's necessary for them to be replaced. Put a plaque in their place indicating that they were taken down (that's the significant event). If at a later time a community wants to erect a statue to one of it's prominent citizens, then address at that time. But every park, intersection, lobby does not need a statue.
I am a firm believer that every piece of history should be taught. The good the bad and the ugly. If the statues are all removed I would think a plaque explaining both the historical significance of what that person did or didn’t do along with an explanation of why it was removed would be a nice way to still keep the historical significance alive while also recognizing the people who stood up to remove the statues. Statues themselves don’t teach you anything it’s the stories that people need to know. History can teach you so much about how or how not to handle future problems so everyone should learn all sides of a historical event. I will forever be more upset about the watered down and sometimes glossed over history that is taught in schools than a statue but putting a plaque with the original history and the significance of that historical figure today that caused the statue to be taken down is a much better option than just tearing them down and avoiding them altogether.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Someone photo shopped Rex the dinosaur onto the pedestal in Hemming Plaza. Rex is an orange dinosaur built in the 60's or so for a mini golf business. It's a local icon.
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Deleted User 670

Unread post

Why do they have to be replaced with anything?
Locked Previous topicNext topic