Statue removal s/o

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

A lot of these monuments are moved because the local community decides that it doesn’t reflect their community culture/image. So I think they should be replaced with whatever they decide is a better fit.
jas
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Animals. They should be replaced with animals.
EmilyH87
Regent
Regent

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:53 pm
californiagirl83 wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:37 pm For those who feel we should remove confederate and other questionable statues, who would you replace them with?
I don't think it's necessary for them to be replaced. Put a plaque in their place indicating that they were taken down (that's the significant event). If at a later time a community wants to erect a statue to one of it's prominent citizens, then address at that time. But every park, intersection, lobby does not need a statue.
I actually really love this idea.
Dungeon & Dragons Shenanigans:
https://twitch.tv/teambonusaction
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

29again wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:45 am In my town there are only 4 statues (or monuments) at each corner of the court square. They represent a value, like work, or education.. But there is practically no history here, not much is saved. I think it is sad, that we don't seem to value our past. Yet this year is the 200th anniversary of my town. So many things have been cancelled so nobody talks about it, the only thing I DO remember about the celebrations is there was a commissioned craft beer and a commemorative rifle made. Local history is just not taught anywhere, and there is nothing on the web because, hello -- real small town here! And wiki is so informative, ya know.

I spent a bit over 5 months in Paris while in college, and the one thing that is so prominent in my memories is all the statues and monuments. Walk down a little street and there is a fountain dedicated to someone, a couple blocks down is a statue of some historical personnage. It was amazing to me that the Parisians tried so hard to remember those little bits of their history. I really enjoyed looking at them as I walked around. There are buildings that have been erected for hundreds of years, and we have trouble here keeping one up for a few decades... it is sad. I wish that we (or I) knew more of the local history, that there could be those monuments and statues to keep some things in mind.
Does your town have a historical society or museum?
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Deleted User 1577

Unread post

Give them idiots squatting in the Seattle autonomous zone the creative license to think up what should replace those statues.
29again
Regent
Regent

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:06 pm
29again wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:45 am In my town there are only 4 statues (or monuments) at each corner of the court square. They represent a value, like work, or education.. But there is practically no history here, not much is saved. I think it is sad, that we don't seem to value our past. Yet this year is the 200th anniversary of my town. So many things have been cancelled so nobody talks about it, the only thing I DO remember about the celebrations is there was a commissioned craft beer and a commemorative rifle made. Local history is just not taught anywhere, and there is nothing on the web because, hello -- real small town here! And wiki is so informative, ya know.

I spent a bit over 5 months in Paris while in college, and the one thing that is so prominent in my memories is all the statues and monuments. Walk down a little street and there is a fountain dedicated to someone, a couple blocks down is a statue of some historical personnage. It was amazing to me that the Parisians tried so hard to remember those little bits of their history. I really enjoyed looking at them as I walked around. There are buildings that have been erected for hundreds of years, and we have trouble here keeping one up for a few decades... it is sad. I wish that we (or I) knew more of the local history, that there could be those monuments and statues to keep some things in mind.
Yeah, for a price.

edit (cursor erased part of my comment) Yes, there is one, you have to pay and join as a member. They don't have much there. Kids do this as a field trip in elementary school.
Expand your thinking

It’s possible to disagree with an article and not respond with a personal attack you know.
Try it.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

29again wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:03 pm

Yeah, for a price.
For a price? What does that mean?
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
29again
Regent
Regent

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:05 pm

Yeah, for a price.
Sorry, I had to edit, my cursor highlighted & erased part of my answer. You have to basically buy a membership.
Expand your thinking

It’s possible to disagree with an article and not respond with a personal attack you know.
Try it.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

29again wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:09 pm
WellPreserved wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:05 pm

Yeah, for a price.
Sorry, I had to edit, my cursor highlighted & erased part of my answer. You have to basically buy a membership.
If your town's historical society is cost prohibitive for the members of the community, I would absolutely bring that up at a BOS meeting. There is no reason that a counties history shouldn't be accessible to all the community - not just those who can afford to pay.

Our town's historical society does charge for a museum visit - $3. But the archives are accessible for free to any resident. Of course there are copying fees.
hmmm666
Countess
Countess

Unread post

Yeah, for a price.

edit (cursor erased part of my comment) Yes, there is one, you have to pay and join as a member. They don't have much there. Kids do this as a field trip in elementary school.
They don’t have a local museum with a 1 time entrance fee?
That’s really sad I love learning about our local history and visiting our small local museum.
Do you have a local historical society?
I would go to them about this but I’m a history buff who would be pissed if the only way to enter a local museum was to pay a membership fee.
Locked Previous topicNext topic