Statue removal s/o

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
29again
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:13 pm
29again wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:35 pm
WellPreserved wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:29 pm

If your town's historical society is cost prohibitive for the members of the community, I would absolutely bring that up at a BOS meeting. There is no reason that a counties history shouldn't be accessible to all the community - not just those who can afford to pay.

Our town's historical society does charge for a museum visit - $3. But the archives are accessible for free to any resident. Of course there are copying fees.
I've been thinking on this, and I might be wrong. I may be thinking of the senior center. I will have to check on this, someday... if I get off work in time to actually do that! In our town, they have the same closings and delays, so I do get the two organizations confused. But this thread has me really curious now.
I would think it's subsidized by tax dollars so it should be accessible to everyone. Even the top museums in big cities have select times and dates where it's free for everyone or "pay what you can".
I have never voted for a tax for the Historical Society. I have voted on plenty of other issues, funding for park district, the MRDD board, new fire stations, etc. But not the HS. Generally around here a tax levy is only good for 5 years, then it goes back on the ballot until it passes or they miraculously find enough votes to make it pass. (Not joking, that actually happened with a school ballot once.)
Expand your thinking

It’s possible to disagree with an article and not respond with a personal attack you know.
Try it.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:13 pm
29again wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:35 pm
WellPreserved wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:29 pm

If your town's historical society is cost prohibitive for the members of the community, I would absolutely bring that up at a BOS meeting. There is no reason that a counties history shouldn't be accessible to all the community - not just those who can afford to pay.

Our town's historical society does charge for a museum visit - $3. But the archives are accessible for free to any resident. Of course there are copying fees.
I've been thinking on this, and I might be wrong. I may be thinking of the senior center. I will have to check on this, someday... if I get off work in time to actually do that! In our town, they have the same closings and delays, so I do get the two organizations confused. But this thread has me really curious now.
I would think it's subsidized by tax dollars so it should be accessible to everyone. Even the top museums in big cities have select times and dates where it's free for everyone or "pay what you can".
I just checked our historical society website because I was curious about funding - never thought of it before. Our HS is a private non-profit. The town gifted them the building and provides annual monies in the form of a grant. They also receive an annual grant from the dept. of tourism. You can become a sponsor/member of the society for an annual fee and while admission to the museum is free, they do request a recommended donation of $3. It is completely staffed and operated by volunteers.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Idk. I'm just sitting back waiting for the inevitable protest at Stone mountain in Georgia. That should be interesting. Will they or won't they replace a carving in a mountain? Otherwise I really don't care about the confederate statues. I care more about the confederate flag coming down tbh. It should.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Pjmm wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:45 pm Idk. I'm just sitting back waiting for the inevitable protest at Stone mountain in Georgia. That should be interesting. Will they or won't they replace a carving in a mountain? Otherwise I really don't care about the confederate statues. I care more about the confederate flag coming down tbh. It should.
Personally, at least in our county, we need to first get the depiction of the confederate flag out of the public schools. We have a confederate statue in front of our courthouse and many want taken down. When talking to my son about it, he said "what statue?". Yet when he was in school, he saw students everyday with confederate flag shirts, belt buckles, bumper stickers, hats, etc. Get it out of the schools and more importantly, tell the students "why". Students are amazing activists and you win them over, the statues will come down too.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:16 am
Pjmm wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:45 pm Idk. I'm just sitting back waiting for the inevitable protest at Stone mountain in Georgia. That should be interesting. Will they or won't they replace a carving in a mountain? Otherwise I really don't care about the confederate statues. I care more about the confederate flag coming down tbh. It should.
Personally, at least in our county, we need to first get the depiction of the confederate flag out of the public schools. We have a confederate statue in front of our courthouse and many want taken down. When talking to my son about it, he said "what statue?". Yet when he was in school, he saw students everyday with confederate flag shirts, belt buckles, bumper stickers, hats, etc. Get it out of the schools and more importantly, tell the students "why". Students are amazing activists and you win them over, the statues will come down too.
My home town is protesting a statue also. In my forty years of living and visiting the place I've never paid it any mind. But the flag I do. And I don't get why we cling to this symbol. We lost the war. Oh well it was two hundred years ago give or take. Now let it go and move on. So I agree. Get it out of the schools and explain why.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Interesting video:

Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Mr.Smile wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:21 pm I am sure they will be replaced with some hideous liberal post modern garbage.

That is horrifying. I saw that last week. That's enough to give you nightmares.
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/
Locked Previous topicNext topic