Too many statutes of losers

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

It's interesting how Trump always claims he hates losers but has a problem with removing statues of all the losers. The southern states were on the wrong side of the civil war and rightly they lost. We need to stop celebrating losers.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way ... e-examples

NPR had an article a few years back about protests over these monuments and how other countries dealt with these type of statutes.

In 2015 Ukraine removed 1,320 statues of Lenin along with other Soviet area symbols. Why should they be reminded every day of living under communist rule and the Iron Curtain.

Germany chose to build monuments to their victims, not their army leaders after WW2. There are monuments to the deserters of the army, to the Jewish and non-Jewish victims.

Americans should be happy to see these statutes go. We can keep the statutes of the winners.
Frau Holle
Regent
Regent

Unread post

There are not many humans that have ever lived that have not done great things and horrific things.

There isn’t anyone you can make a statue of if you are requiring that person to be unquestioned.

Germans not having statues of Hitler does not mean we don’t have statues dedicated to war. We do. It also doesn’t mean we don’t have statues of people that did horrible things, we do.
“ I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night “ - Sarah Williams
mommy_jules
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Something else that I find interesting is that most of the people I know who are upset about the removal of these statues are also the same people who get upset about people disrespecting the American flag. Seems a little ironic to me.
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Frau Holle wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:17 pm There are not many humans that have ever lived that have not done great things and horrific things.

There isn’t anyone you can make a statue of if you are requiring that person to be unquestioned.

Germans not having statues of Hitler does not mean we don’t have statues dedicated to war. We do. It also doesn’t mean we don’t have statues of people that did horrible things, we do.
Most countries do end up deciding to destroy these statutes eventually. Lenin, for example, had thousands of statutes erected. It took a few decades but they are being removed from Russia and have been removed from Ukraine. Iranians cheered when the Hussein statue was torn down.

Which statutes are in Germany of people that did horrific things?
hmmm666
Countess
Countess

Unread post

Statues* sorry that was driving me crazy
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

mommy_jules wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:34 pm Something else that I find interesting is that most of the people I know who are upset about the removal of these statues are also the same people who get upset about people disrespecting the American flag. Seems a little ironic to me.
Right. Like that NASCAR driver who disagrees with kneeling but disagrees with banning the confederate flag.

I think this is about a pissing match more than common sense for some.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:58 pm
mommy_jules wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:34 pm Something else that I find interesting is that most of the people I know who are upset about the removal of these statues are also the same people who get upset about people disrespecting the American flag. Seems a little ironic to me.
Right. Like that NASCAR driver who disagrees with kneeling but disagrees with banning the confederate flag.

I think this is about a pissing match more than common sense for some.
I don't get the confederate flag thing. Dude. I grew up in the south and never got It. It represents divisiveness. And a very bad time in southern history. Now was Robert Lee and others great generals? Sure. You want to have Stone mountain and statues of them fine. But we're all Americans. F***ing act like it and dump the confederate flag. Especially don't act like a freaking baby when NASCAR decides it's time for it to go. It represents no nation and no people. Just divisiveness. Surely there must be better symbols if the south wants one.
Frau Holle
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:01 pm
Frau Holle wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:17 pm There are not many humans that have ever lived that have not done great things and horrific things.

Most countries do end up deciding to destroy these statutes eventually. Lenin, for example, had thousands of statutes erected. It took a few decades but they are being removed from Russia and have been removed from Ukraine. Iranians cheered when the Hussein statue was torn down.

Which statutes are in Germany of people that did horrific things?
Everyone who has ever done something that builds a nation.

The philosophy of power that rules political leaders is not steered by the same sense of individual empathy that someone else might feel.
“ I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night “ - Sarah Williams
cgd5112
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

There are plenty of statues here that are dedicated to wars- even memorials. Removing confederate statues is not removing ALL statues of war in America. This is not a denial of war.

The Union won the war. The war was about slavery. The South wanted to keep AA as chattel. The North wanted slavery abolished. It was and is about morality and human rights ( and money, and the list can go on ...). Ironically, the same population in the South who don't want these statues removed are the same people who accuse the North and Democrats of being godless as they proudly refer to themselves as the bible belt. And not just any bible belt- but new testament bible belt; as in Jesus loving, turn the other cheek, we're all god's children, etc ...

The statues also represent men who fought to break off from the Union. So what is the point of keeping them around? What was the point of erecting the in the first place? America as it is today, with AA free ( to vote, get an education, eat at the same restaurants and whites, ride at the front of the bus, buy and live in homes next to whites, etc) is not the country they wanted to be a part of. So, I say, "Bye, Felicia!"

We do not live in the Confederacy.

As many MAGA supporters likes to remind anyone who'll listen, " This is America."

This is the United States of America..

Frau Holle
Regent
Regent

Unread post

cgd5112 wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:01 pm There are plenty of statues here that are dedicated to wars- even memorials. Removing confederate statues is not removing ALL statues of war in America. This is not a denial of war.

The Union won the war. The war was about slavery. The South wanted to keep AA as chattel. The North wanted slavery abolished. It was and is about morality and human rights ( and money, and the list can go on ...). Ironically, the same population in the South who don't want these statues removed are the same people who accuse the North and Democrats of being godless as they proudly refer to themselves as the bible belt. And not just any bible belt- but new testament bible belt; as in Jesus loving, turn the other cheek, we're all god's children, etc ...

The statues also represent men who fought to break off from the Union. So what is the point of keeping them around? What was the point of erecting the in the first place? America as it is today, with AA free ( to vote, get an education, eat at the same restaurants and whites, ride at the front of the bus, buy and live in homes next to whites, etc) is not the country they wanted to be a part of. So, I say, "Bye, Felicia!"

We do not live in the Confederacy.

As many MAGA supporters likes to remind anyone who'll listen, " This is America."

This is the United States of America..

From an outsiders perspective, it seems like the “South” as a general term still wants their statues and flags because they still yearn for a separate country.

But I don’t think it’s just because of race, it seems like the white people of the North and the white people of the South generally don’t like each other in stereotype.
Locked Previous topicNext topic