Drunk Man Shot by Police as He was Running Away

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
wildflowers25
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Valentina327 wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:32 am
Emmasmom wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:51 am
hockeymom87 wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:17 pm

So raise taxes to pay for people’s bad behavior. Sometimes going to jail is a wake up call. This guy shouldn’t have died. But he also should have drove drunk, fought police, and stole a taser. Sleeping it off in a drunk take is better than just sending them home because what if they have another car and just go out again. And if they go out again and drive drunk that same night and kill someone people will say “why wasn’t something done to make sure he didn’t drive”
I agree. And in wondering if they realized it was a taser or if they thought he had grabbed a gun. I don't think they shot him strictly because he's black.
Did you watch the body cam footage? I don't think it had anything to do with it honestly. They were very cordial with him. They didn't lose patience with him as they questioned him, even though it took them several tries to get answers. They were very calm and respectful and he was very respectful also.

The interaction seemed perfectly by the book and calm until he decided to bolt. And they weren't even being brutal with him as he was fighting both of them. They were on the ground wrestling for a bit. And they were legitimately still just trying to get cuffs on him. They never beat him. They never seemed to step out of bounds.

Once he stole that tazer though, the concern then becomes him disabling the officers and taking their sidearm. I truly believe that this was a case of things escalating because of him trying to run. They were even doing CPR trying to bring him back. I don't believe either of them had malice in their hearts. I think it's just a horrible tragedy brought about by escalation.
I thought the same thing, the officers seemed pleasant and patient through the ordeal of questioning him. It went from bad to worse when he resisted and ran. It was tragic and I don't like how it ended but I agree it was brought about by escalation.
Carpy
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Thelma Harper wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:42 am
Carpy wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:35 am
WellPreserved wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:15 pm

Generally if you get caught with a DUI, you are taken to the precinct (sometimes given an additional blood test) and if you have someone who can or you can bail yourself out, you are given a temporary license (until your court date) and then you can go home.

This is actually one of the complaints about the whole system of bail. Those who can afford it are released and those who can't are continued to be detained.

IMO, if an offense is non-violent and someone could be released on $500 bail, there is no reason for anyone to be incarcerated for that crime.
At the age of 21, I was DOA at the hospital because of a drunk driver. I consider that to be rather violent.
What was the bail and consequence for the driver who hit you?
6 yrs do 3 and a lot of money I'll never see.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Carpy wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:13 pm
Thelma Harper wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:42 am
Carpy wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:35 am

At the age of 21, I was DOA at the hospital because of a drunk driver. I consider that to be rather violent.
What was the bail and consequence for the driver who hit you?
6 yrs do 3 and a lot of money I'll never see.
Insanity. That's a damn shame.
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
BionicBunny
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

hockeymom87 wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:17 pm

So raise taxes to pay for people’s bad behavior. Sometimes going to jail is a wake up call. This guy shouldn’t have died. But he also should have drove drunk, fought police, and stole a taser. Sleeping it off in a drunk take is better than just sending them home because what if they have another car and just go out again. And if they go out again and drive drunk that same night and kill someone people will say “why wasn’t something done to make sure he didn’t drive”
I agree. And in wondering if they realized it was a taser or if they thought he had grabbed a gun. I don't think they shot him strictly because he's black.
Did you watch the body cam footage? I don't think it had anything to do with it honestly. They were very cordial with him. They didn't lose patience with him as they questioned him, even though it took them several tries to get answers. They were very calm and respectful and he was very respectful also.

The interaction seemed perfectly by the book and calm until he decided to bolt. And they weren't even being brutal with him as he was fighting both of them. They were on the ground wrestling for a bit. And they were legitimately still just trying to get cuffs on him. They never beat him. They never seemed to step out of bounds.

Once he stole that tazer though, the concern then becomes him disabling the officers and taking their sidearm. I truly believe that this was a case of things escalating because of him trying to run. They were even doing CPR trying to bring him back. I don't believe either of them had malice in their hearts. I think it's just a horrible tragedy brought about by escalation.
Do you have a link to the body cam, Val? I haven’t seen it.
BionicBunny
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

wildflowers25 wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:39 pm

I thought the same thing, the officers seemed pleasant and patient through the ordeal of questioning him. It went from bad to worse when he resisted and ran. It was tragic and I don't like how it ended but I agree it was brought about by escalation.
People need to hold the criminal responsible for their own actions instead of putting the blame on the cop. This man got himself killed because he did something stupid. He would be alive if he had respected the cop and didn’t fight or point a weapon.
mcginnisc
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

BionicBunny wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:55 pm

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/raysha ... EDPddV3ne0
Claire
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

BionicBunny wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:00 pm

People need to hold the criminal responsible for their own actions instead of putting the blame on the cop. This man got himself killed because he did something stupid. He would be alive if he had respected the cop and didn’t fight or point a weapon.
I think we have put people (especially black men) in a horrible position where they are expected, more than others, to follow strict protocols or be killed and even when those protocols are followed, they run the risk of being killed anyway. 1 in 1000 black men and boys can expect to die at the hands of police and getting killed by police is a leading cause of death for young black men. When you consider the "fight or flight" human reaction to danger, what is the appropriate way for a black man to respond when confronted by police? It's a talk that my black friends have had with their sons and it hurts my heart.

Here is a personal example. My son was stopped by local police and questioned on Saturday morning. He was respectful and accommodating but told me later what he really wanted to do, and almost did, was run - he was 100 feet from our home. If he had run I have no doubt that he would have been fine. If he were black and had run, I'm not so sure.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:21 pm

I think we have put people (especially black men) in a horrible position where they are expected, more than others, to follow strict protocols or be killed and even when those protocols are followed, they run the risk of being killed anyway. 1 in 1000 black men and boys can expect to die at the hands of police and getting killed by police is a leading cause of death for young black men. When you consider the "fight or flight" human reaction to danger, what is the appropriate way for a black man to respond when confronted by police? It's a talk that my black friends have had with their sons and it hurts my heart.

Here is a personal example. My son was stopped by local police and questioned on Saturday morning. He was respectful and accommodating but told me later what he really wanted to do, and almost did, was run - he was 100 feet from our home. If he had run I have no doubt that he would have been fine. If he were black and had run, I'm not so sure.
Don't be so sure that your son would have been fine if he had run. A lot of cops get enraged when you don't follow their instructions. He needs to know that, it's not always about race. A lot of Latinos in NYC think the Latino cops are some of the worst.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:49 pm
WellPreserved wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:21 pm

Don't be so sure that your son would have been fine if he had run. A lot of cops get enraged when you don't follow their instructions. He needs to know that, it's not always about race. A lot of Latinos in NYC think the Latino cops are some of the worst.
I set up a "meet and greet" at the police department for this week. I am hoping this helps.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

BionicBunny wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:55 pm

Lemme look Blue. I think it was embedded in an article. BRB
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/
Locked Previous topicNext topic