California deputy shot in the head during ‘ambush’ at police station

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Deleted User 1616

Unread post

A gunman shot a California sheriff’s deputy in the head during an ambush at a San Luis Obispo County police station — then fled and allegedly killed a homeless man.

The gunman, identified as Mason James Lira, started his rampage when he opened fire on the Paso Robles Police Department at about 3:45 a.m. and shot one responding police officer in the face, according to the San Luis Obispo County Sheriff’s Office.

Police later found a homeless man shot to death at the Paso Robles train station. The 58-year-old, unidentified transient was shot once at close range in the back of the head, police said.

Cops were on the lookout for Lira last night as they released pictures of the suspect and warned that he may be armed.

https://nypost.com/2020/06/11/californi ... e-station/
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
jessilin0113
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Yikes. Glad to hear the cop will recover.
agander2017
Monkey's Mama
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

How sad. People are going insane. :(

moviestar
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Lira's father, Jose Lira, told the Associated Press that his son was mentally ill and didn't take his medication.

“He lives in a fantasy world,” Jose Lira told the AP. “He doesn’t have a beef with the police.”
jessilin0113
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Defund the police. Fund mental health.
wildflowers25
Regent
Regent

Unread post

jessilin0113 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:44 am Defund the police. Fund mental health.
Which only works if the mentally ill person agrees to treatment and medication if prescribed. Many won't do that now and I doubt legislation will pass that forces them into treatment.
moviestar
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

There is tons of evidence that having regular check ins with a qualified medical or social worker helps keep people med compliant, but many places don’t have the infrastructure to offer it and it’s expensive to maintain privately. Increased funding would make a huge difference. You don’t have to force people into i
treatment, it’s also proven that having care more available increases the likelihood that those in need will use it. That doesn’t mean every single mentally ill person will seek treatment and stay med compliant, but definitely more of them, and isn’t more better than less? Even if we can’t guarantee that nobody will ever have a violent outburst and nobody will ever be shot, isn’t it better to reduce those chances where we can? We literally know how to, and it results in a better outcome for every hypothetical person involved a statistically significant percent of the time. so like... why not try it?
wildflowers25 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:07 pm
jessilin0113 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:44 am Defund the police. Fund mental health.
Which only works if the mentally ill person agrees to treatment and medication if prescribed. Many won't do that now and I doubt legislation will pass that forces them into treatment.
wildflowers25
Regent
Regent

Unread post

moviestar wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:33 pm There is tons of evidence that having regular check ins with a qualified medical or social worker helps keep people med compliant, but many places don’t have the infrastructure to offer it and it’s expensive to maintain privately. Increased funding would make a huge difference. You don’t have to force people into i
treatment, it’s also proven that having care more available increases the likelihood that those in need will use it. That doesn’t mean every single mentally ill person will seek treatment and stay med compliant, but definitely more of them, and isn’t more better than less? Even if we can’t guarantee that nobody will ever have a violent outburst and nobody will ever be shot, isn’t it better to reduce those chances where we can? We literally know how to, and it results in a better outcome for every hypothetical person involved a statistically significant percent of the time. so like... why not try it?
wildflowers25 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:07 pm
It's also proven that quite a few mentally ill people start feeling better and stop their meds and the cycle repeats all over again. I'd love to say throwing money at the problem will make it better but historically that has not worked well on everything from using lottery money to fund schools to legalizing weed at the state level to help with money shortages. Siphoning money from the department that helps keep law and order on people maybe using mental health services is not something to gamble on. We absolutely need better mental health care in this country, this is just a bad way to go about it.
Locked Previous topicNext topic