‘What Are We Going To Have Left In Our Community?’ Aldermen React with Panic, Sorrow to Unrest

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Mommamia
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

As unrest swept the city Sunday (May 3lst), aldermen pleaded with Mayor Lori Lightfoot to help them protect their communities from roving bands of criminals clashing with police and looting businesses.

WTTW News obtained a recording of an online conference call held by the mayor’s office to brief all 50 aldermen on the city’s response to the unrest touched off by the death of George Floyd in the custody of Minneapolis police.

While one alderman wept, others grew angry with the mayor, demanding to know what her strategy was to stop the violence that began in earnest late Saturday.

The call provides a snapshot into the city’s response as of midday on Sunday to the most widespread and damaging unrest since the uprising after the murder of the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. and the police riots after the Democratic National Convention in 1968.

The recording begins with Ald. Michelle Harris (8th Ward) wondering how she could convince businesses like Walmart and CVS to rebuild on the South Side after the destruction.

“It’s like, what are we going to have left in our community?” Harris asks her colleagues before answering herself. “Nothing.”

The Chicago City Council’s Black Caucus criticized Lightfoot’s decision to use 375 members of the Illinois National Guard to block off the Loop and the central business district starting Sunday morning, making business corridors on the South and West sides an “easy target” for looters and criminals because they “did not have the same level of protection.”.............................

https://news.wttw.com/2020/06/05/what-a ... row-unrest

Ald. Raymond Lopez (15th Ward) demanded that Lightfoot develop a plan to stabilize Chicago’s neighborhoods for five days, calling his Southwest Side ward “a virtual war zone” where gang members armed with AK-47’s were threatening to shoot black people.

The call came to a screeching halt when Lightfoot declined to address the substance of Lopez’s remarks, and Lopez demanded that she respond.

Lightfoot told Lopez he was “100% full of s--t.”

“Well, f--k you then,” Lopez responded.

“I understand you want to preen,” Lightfoot told Lopez.

As aldermen objected, Lopez continued to speak.

“Mayor you need to check your f-----g attitude,” Lopez said.
29again
Regent
Regent

Unread post

As bad as it is in a transcript, it's even worse to listen to it.
Expand your thinking

It’s possible to disagree with an article and not respond with a personal attack you know.
Try it.
Mommamia
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

29again wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:52 pm As bad as it is in a transcript, it's even worse to listen to it.
Thanks. I forgot to post the youtube link, lol. She is one disgusting POS. Chicagoans have no one to blame except themselves for continuously electing lying, self serving Dems for decades.
29again
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Mommamia wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:59 pm
29again wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:52 pm As bad as it is in a transcript, it's even worse to listen to it.
Thanks. I forgot to post the youtube link, lol. She is one disgusting POS. Chicagoans have no one to blame except themselves for continuously electing lying, self serving Dems for decades.
I imagine that a big part of their having such a lengthy record of bad dem leadership is that the repubs just don't run. I've looked up a few notable mayors and once they won their first election, they had very little opposition, and it was rarely a conservative. I don't expect these liberal bastions to suddenly go conservative, but I hope they do wake up and smell the coffee burning and elect someone who has the potential to be effective at leading.
Expand your thinking

It’s possible to disagree with an article and not respond with a personal attack you know.
Try it.
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

She is horrid. You should have seen what we got in the southwest burbs. It all spilled way out of the city, all of the burbs went on lockdown. We had stores that closed Sunday and didn't open until Thursday like Target. Malls are boarded up. They were ramming cars into buildings in Ford City mall trying to break in to loot. They set the Sam's club on fire in evergreen park. Went back on Monday and did the same. Set Orland mall on fire Sunday. Wayyyyy outside of the city.

I was teetering on the edge of leaving Illinois after the Covid insanity here with the lockdown and emperor toilets mandates and our health director telling everyone to record all deaths as Covid even if they died if something else.

This letting the riots run rampant crap cured me. I'm looking in Indiana right now as we speak, where logic and common sense is employed in governing. Toilets is too busy taking jabs at Trump and decrying him sending national guard here to worry about us. They can all have each other. This blue state life isn't fit for anyone.
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

29again wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:09 pm
I imagine that a big part of their having such a lengthy record of bad dem leadership is that the repubs just don't run. I've looked up a few notable mayors and once they won their first election, they had very little opposition, and it was rarely a conservative. I don't expect these liberal bastions to suddenly go conservative, but I hope they do wake up and smell the coffee burning and elect someone who has the potential to be effective at leading.
I'm out. This city and state have been blue forever and I don't see it changing ever. These progressive communists aren't fit to run anything where decent people want to live. I love Chicago. I've always been so proud to tell everyone where I'm from. This breaks my heart that the liberals have done this to my home. I'm getting a gun for now and getting out as fast as I can.
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

Lexy
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Valentina327 wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:26 pm

I'm out. This city and state have been blue forever and I don't see it changing ever. These progressive communists aren't fit to run anything where decent people want to live. I love Chicago. I've always been so proud to tell everyone where I'm from. This breaks my heart that the liberals have done this to my home. I'm getting a gun for now and getting out as fast as I can.
People are moving out at record numbers. It is a disaster.
Mommamia
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

The Daley machine ruled Chicago, twice. Richard J Daley 1953-1976, that's 23 years until he died in office. Richard M Daley from 1989-2011, 22 yrs. He didn't run again because his wife was dying from cancer. From at least 1953 to present, not one Republican mayor. Republicans can't win in Chicago, and they know it. They don't have the big money backers. One of the mayors, Harold Washington hadn't filed tax returns in 19 years.
Mommamia
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Valentina327 wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:21 pm She is horrid. You should have seen what we got in the southwest burbs. It all spilled way out of the city, all of the burbs went on lockdown. We had stores that closed Sunday and didn't open until Thursday like Target. Malls are boarded up. They were ramming cars into buildings in Ford City mall trying to break in to loot. They set the Sam's club on fire in evergreen park. Went back on Monday and did the same. Set Orland mall on fire Sunday. Wayyyyy outside of the city.

I was teetering on the edge of leaving Illinois after the Covid insanity here with the lockdown and emperor toilets mandates and our health director telling everyone to record all deaths as Covid even if they died if something else.

This letting the riots run rampant crap cured me. I'm looking in Indiana right now as we speak, where logic and common sense is employed in governing. Toilets is too busy taking jabs at Trump and decrying him sending national guard here to worry about us. They can all have each other. This blue state life isn't fit for anyone.
I would have moved to Texas over 20 years ago if I could have convinced my family to move also. My daughters and grandkids are here.

BTW, was your area in the tornado warning earlier this evening?
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Mommamia wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:02 am
Valentina327 wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:21 pm She is horrid. You should have seen what we got in the southwest burbs. It all spilled way out of the city, all of the burbs went on lockdown. We had stores that closed Sunday and didn't open until Thursday like Target. Malls are boarded up. They were ramming cars into buildings in Ford City mall trying to break in to loot. They set the Sam's club on fire in evergreen park. Went back on Monday and did the same. Set Orland mall on fire Sunday. Wayyyyy outside of the city.

I would have moved to Texas over 20 years ago if I could have convinced my family to move also. My daughters and grandkids are here.

BTW, was your area in the tornado warning earlier this evening?
Yes. We got the cell phone warning!
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

Locked Previous topicNext topic