YouGov Poll Finds Only 16% Americans Want to ‘Defund the Police’; 65% Oppose

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.

Should the police be defunded or reformed?

Defund
8%
Reform
92%

Total votes: 13
DSamuels
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

YouGov Poll Finds Only 16% Americans Want to ‘Defund the Police’; 65% Oppose

From what you hear and see from the media, protesters and social media it sounds like most people agree with defunding the police. I don’t think that’s the truth.

https://californiaglobe.com/section-2/y ... 65-oppose/

https://www.cato.org/blog/americans-agr ... ing-reform
Never explain - your friends do not need it and your enemies will not believe you anyway. - Elbert Hubbard

Keep up - Calm Down - Pay Attention
Mommamia
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

DSamuels wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:23 pm YouGov Poll Finds Only 16% Americans Want to ‘Defund the Police’; 65% Oppose

From what you hear and see from the media, protesters and social media it sounds like most people agree with defunding the police. I don’t think that’s the truth.

https://californiaglobe.com/section-2/y ... 65-oppose/

https://www.cato.org/blog/americans-agr ... ing-reform
Hopefully, there are enough sane, rational people in this country to prevent that from happening. It's kind of like the silent supporters of Trump that the media never caught on to. They were literally giddy assuming the hag was sure to win. People are more likely to answer honestly to an online survey or written one, than they will be face to face.

The elite don't care if there is no police force. They can hire their own protection. It is the inner city minority neighborhoods that will suffer the most without police protection.
Deleted User 1616

Unread post

I have been thinking about what possible strategy the left has for such a dumb ass move. the only possibilities I have are:

a. they didn't count on things going this way. They hoped to goad the right wing armed militias to react violently to the protesters/riots and scare black voters and the far left Bernie bros into supporting Biden increase enthusiasm for him and of course damage Trump.

B. they are trying to get middle class democrats to flee blue cities and move to conservative areas to benefit themselves in the election.
jessilin0113
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Defunding the police is not popular on it's own. It when you break down the reforms that are part of the movement, those are quite popular. Things like banning chokeholds, a use of violence continuum, decriminalizing low-level, non-violent crimes, and better funding for social services, housing, mental health, and drug treatment.

Saying "defund the police" might be bad branding but at least people are talking about these other things because of it, instead of anemic "reform".
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

I voted reform. I don’t fully agree with the whole defund movement but I still commend the Democrats with at least coming up with some sort of an action plan to get the conversation started.

I understand why Republican not support this but I’d like to see what they feel a viable solution looks like.
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:33 am I voted reform. I don’t fully agree with the whole defund movement but I still commend the Democrats with at least coming up with some sort of an action plan to get the conversation started.

I understand why Republican not support this but I’d like to see what they feel a viable solution looks like.
Biden is for reform not defund so it’s not all democrats. I doubt it’s even a majority of democratic lawmakers.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:53 pm
SouthernIslander wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:33 am I voted reform. I don’t fully agree with the whole defund movement but I still commend the Democrats with at least coming up with some sort of an action plan to get the conversation started.

Biden is for reform not defund so it’s not all democrats. I doubt it’s even a majority of democratic lawmakers.
I know it’s not all Democrats but I still commend the ones who are trying to come up with a plan. It’s a start.
Mommamia
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:53 pm

Biden is too senile to know what he supports.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/08/politics ... index.html
Top congressional Democrats steer clear of 'defund the police ...
Locked Previous topicNext topic