Minneapolis City Council Members Announce Intent To Disband The Police Department, Invest In Community-Led Public Safety

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
29again
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Mommamia wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:35 pm
moviestar wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:01 pm I know you are but what am I?
Mommamia wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:25 pm

You are a prime example of my comment.
Go the f**k away. You're not going to drag me into another one of your senseless, inane games.
It's best to just not give into the temptation with that one. Be strong, Momma... Be strong!
Expand your thinking

It’s possible to disagree with an article and not respond with a personal attack you know.
Try it.
jessilin0113
Regent
Regent

Unread post

29again wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:31 pm
jessilin0113 wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:20 pm
Frau Holle wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:54 pm

Because you mentioned the “good crimes”. The ones where you look at the perpetrator and think how much help they need and how they can get it.

There are monsters out there. People who prey on children and rape people’s sisters and murder people’s mothers.
You think with a “community-led safety” program instead of police those people will be offered treatment and social services?
How do you think the community will decide to keep their families safe from those people if there are no police around?
Again, defunding the police does not entail abolishing the police altogether. It means redirecting much of their funding to the community. There will still be cops for violent crimes. Considering the pretty low closure rate for these, though, how much good are they actually doing? Aside from that, imagine if a police officer's time and talent could go toward actually solving these types of crimes rather than wasting time removing a homeless person from a bench.
Why is being homeless a crime? And then, why is it the cops job to deal with it?

I think that part of reforming a police department should ALSO involve looking at all the regulations that city has on it's books and possible doing away with some of them. If you are making so many things "against" the law, how can you reasonably expect the police to deal with all of those little things?
You nailed it. A lot of the movement focuses on decriminalizing a lot of low level crimes, like sleeping rough, S*x work, drug possession, etc. And it shouldn't be the cop's job, even the cops say that, that's why want money should go towards housing, social services, drug treatment, instead of tanks and riot gear.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Because you mentioned the “good crimes”. The ones where you look at the perpetrator and think how much help they need and how they can get it.

There are monsters out there. People who prey on children and rape people’s sisters and murder people’s mothers.
You think with a “community-led safety” program instead of police those people will be offered treatment and social services?
How do you think the community will decide to keep their families safe from those people if there are no police around?
Again, defunding the police does not entail abolishing the police altogether. It means redirecting much of their funding to the community. There will still be cops for violent crimes. Considering the pretty low closure rate for these, though, how much good are they actually doing? Aside from that, imagine if a police officer's time and talent could go toward actually solving these types of crimes rather than wasting time removing a homeless person from a bench.
Why is being homeless a crime? And then, why is it the cops job to deal with it?

I think that part of reforming a police department should ALSO involve looking at all the regulations that city has on it's books and possible doing away with some of them. If you are making so many things "against" the law, how can you reasonably expect the police to deal with all of those little things?
Loitering is a crime. Using the bathroom in public is a crime. Possession of drugs is a crime. Drinking in public is a crime. Trespassing is a crime. Panhandling is a crime. Being homeless is not a crime, but police are the ones initially dealing with the homeless.
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Mommamia
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

29again wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:33 pm
Go the f**k away. You're not going to drag me into another one of your senseless, inane games.
It's best to just not give into the temptation with that one. Be strong, Momma... Be strong!
Ain't that the truth.
29again
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Thelma Harper wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:46 pm

Loitering is a crime. Using the bathroom in public is a crime. Possession of drugs is a crime. Drinking in public is a crime. Trespassing is a crime. Panhandling is a crime. Being homeless is not a crime, but police are the ones initially dealing with the homeless.
It's not a crime? Well, maybe not "technically" but more and more cities are banning the things that homeless people MUST do because they are homeless -- sleeping outside, sleeping/living in your car, etc. If an activity is BANNED, then it is by default illegal, therefore a crime.
Initiative 300’s proponents described it as a “right to survive” measure, since arresting and prosecuting homeless people for committing an essential human activity makes it that much harder for them to escape the streets. Most voters saw it differently. While they voted to decriminalize the recreational consumption of hallucinogens by a modest margin, they overwhelmingly chose to keep criminalizing homeless people for sleeping outside: 82 percent of them voted no on Initiative 300.
https://newrepublic.com/article/153875/ ... -not-crime
Laws that criminalize homelessness are cropping up in cities throughout the country, while simultaneously, a national shortage of shelter beds and housing options is roiling the system.
https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/hom ... ughout-u-s
Local governments across the U.S. have been punishing people for being poor and not having a home. Is this not the definition of cruelty?

On Dec. 16, the U.S. Supreme Court signaled its agreement by refusing to consider a petition to overturn the Ninth Circuit’s Martin v. City of Boise ruling. The case’s central holding is: “An ordinance violates the Eighth Amendment insofar as it imposes criminal sanctions against homeless individuals for sleeping outdoors, on public property, when no alternative shelter is available to them.” In other words, fining or jailing a homeless person, because they have no place to stay, violates the U.S. Constitution’s ban on cruel and unusual punishment.

The moral clarity of this ruling seems obvious.

And yet, city, county and state governments across the country, along with business associations, chambers of commerce and law enforcement associations, filed amicus briefs asking the court to reverse the Martin decision and effectively empower governments to criminalize homelessness. One Los Angeles County supervisor said, justifying filing such a brief, “t’s critical we have access to every tool at our disposal to combat homelessness.”

https://thehill.com/opinion/civil-right ... ot-a-crime

There’s nothing shocking, really, about Houston’s new law making it easier for homeless people to be arrested simply for being homeless.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-laws- ... ss-a-crime
Expand your thinking

It’s possible to disagree with an article and not respond with a personal attack you know.
Try it.
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

jessilin0113 wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:48 pm
Frau Holle wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:41 pm Community led safety means bring back the mobs and pitchforks.
Why would you jump to that conclusion instead of social services, drug treatment, and healthcare, which is what polling supports.

Yep. You're just encouraging the vigilantes. And there won't be a damned thing to stop them either. All I know is I'm going to start stock piling ammunition now until they ban the sale of it, which is I'm sure the next "progressive" move. We're clearly returning to the wild wild West.
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

29again wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:53 pm
Thelma Harper wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:46 pm

It's not a crime? Well, maybe not "technically" but more and more cities are banning the things that homeless people MUST do because they are homeless -- sleeping outside, sleeping/living in your car, etc. If an activity is BANNED, then it is by default illegal, therefore a crime.
Initiative 300’s proponents described it as a “right to survive” measure, since arresting and prosecuting homeless people for committing an essential human activity makes it that much harder for them to escape the streets. Most voters saw it differently. While they voted to decriminalize the recreational consumption of hallucinogens by a modest margin, they overwhelmingly chose to keep criminalizing homeless people for sleeping outside: 82 percent of them voted no on Initiative 300.
https://newrepublic.com/article/153875/ ... -not-crime
Laws that criminalize homelessness are cropping up in cities throughout the country, while simultaneously, a national shortage of shelter beds and housing options is roiling the system.
https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/hom ... ughout-u-s
Local governments across the U.S. have been punishing people for being poor and not having a home. Is this not the definition of cruelty?

On Dec. 16, the U.S. Supreme Court signaled its agreement by refusing to consider a petition to overturn the Ninth Circuit’s Martin v. City of Boise ruling. The case’s central holding is: “An ordinance violates the Eighth Amendment insofar as it imposes criminal sanctions against homeless individuals for sleeping outdoors, on public property, when no alternative shelter is available to them.” In other words, fining or jailing a homeless person, because they have no place to stay, violates the U.S. Constitution’s ban on cruel and unusual punishment.

The moral clarity of this ruling seems obvious.

And yet, city, county and state governments across the country, along with business associations, chambers of commerce and law enforcement associations, filed amicus briefs asking the court to reverse the Martin decision and effectively empower governments to criminalize homelessness. One Los Angeles County supervisor said, justifying filing such a brief, “t’s critical we have access to every tool at our disposal to combat homelessness.”

https://thehill.com/opinion/civil-right ... ot-a-crime

There’s nothing shocking, really, about Houston’s new law making it easier for homeless people to be arrested simply for being homeless.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-laws- ... ss-a-crime

I'm sure glad the "peaceful protesters" did their part to help out on that front, what with burning down low income housing during all of those peaceful protests. That was extremely helpful to the community.
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/
moviestar
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Yet it doesn’t seem like either one of you can resist. brilliant.
29again wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:33 pm
Locked Previous topicNext topic