Black unemployment rate increased to 16.8%

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

cgd5112 wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:18 am Thank you for the recommendation. I'll look him up.

Stay strong and don't give up. Every vote counts. Hope in a better tomorrow and voting to make your voice heard are the kryptonite to this charlatan's toxic vitriol and blasphemy.

*warm hug to you*
SouthernIslander wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:41 pm
cgd5112 wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:14 pm There was a great and short article in the WP about the protesters now and the protesters back in the day of MLK.

The main takeaway was that Johnson sent the military to protect the nine students from harm after the desegregation ( Brown v Board of Education) case was decided. The author then added that today, trump uses the military to subdue and harm the mostly AA protesters.

So, I think that if Biden or whatever other "old white" dude that takes office, must not only ensure he will not use the military/paramilitary to use violence against them, but actually NEVER use it. Never let what is happening to protesters today at the hands of police and military happen again. To educate law enforcement on their roles as guardians and not warriors. To pass sweeping legislature that exacts ALL police departments to report all the people who the police kill. To have clear and concise wording in their union contracts about accountability re using deadly force. To get bipartisan support of Congress before any military is deployed on US ground and not used against our citizens; and have a clear and transparent chain of command for accountability.

There are so many other things, but the need for POC to feel safe again in this country, at least safer than they currently feel and are, is essential in the process of healing and changing the next generations to come. We may not change everyone to reject racism/profiling , etc, but we can change a large portion of the next generation and those that follow.

You should read up on James Meredith, he has a similar and interesting story. I think this is encouraging people to revisit the strategics involved during the movement and there is lots of good stuff that we can use now.

I’m really having a hard time not letting the extremism and being in the middle of the partisan fighting discourage me from voting. So thank you for understanding why I am asking and answering my question because it does help me feel better. I said “white” in response to the OP. It’s okay if Biden and Trump are old white men. Lol

I know the mud slinging is going to happen, especially running against Trump. But I hope these riots and protests help people learn that we have to focus on solutions and take a break from the finger pointing. A lot of us are going exhausted from being caught in the middle of it and yelled at when we say speak up about it.

Biden has his problems but I can see him implementing these changes to at least start fixing this more so than Trump. It’s a lot on the line right now for us and our backs are against the wall to the point that we don’t have a choice but to put our vote where our mouth is. So I really hope that the Democrats and Biden take the next 5 months to build our confidence in the their ability to do so.

Thanks again.
Warm hugs to you too and thanks so much again. I still feel better and may need another pep talk before November! 🤗
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

cgd5112 wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:01 pm Have you seen the videos of James Arthur Baldwin? He was a powerful speaker and debater.

Some of his famous quotes:

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.

It is certain, in any case, that ignorance, allied with power, is the most ferocious enemy justice can have.

To be a Negro in this country and to be relatively conscious is to be in a rage almost all the time.

Love takes off masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within.

I imagine one of the reasons people cling to their hates so stubbornly is because they sense, once hate is gone, they will be forced to deal with pain.

I love America more than any other country in this world, and, exactly for this reason, I insist on the right to criticize her perpetually.

Children have never been very good at listening to their elders, but they have never failed to imitate them.

The paradox of education is precisely this - that as one begins to become conscious one begins to examine the society in which he is being educated.
————

SouthernIslander wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:41 pm
cgd5112 wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:14 pm There was a great and short article in the WP about the protesters now and the protesters back in the day of MLK.

The main takeaway was that Johnson sent the military to protect the nine students from harm after the desegregation ( Brown v Board of Education) case was decided. The author then added that today, trump uses the military to subdue and harm the mostly AA protesters.

So, I think that if Biden or whatever other "old white" dude that takes office, must not only ensure he will not use the military/paramilitary to use violence against them, but actually NEVER use it. Never let what is happening to protesters today at the hands of police and military happen again. To educate law enforcement on their roles as guardians and not warriors. To pass sweeping legislature that exacts ALL police departments to report all the people who the police kill. To have clear and concise wording in their union contracts about accountability re using deadly force. To get bipartisan support of Congress before any military is deployed on US ground and not used against our citizens; and have a clear and transparent chain of command for accountability.

There are so many other things, but the need for POC to feel safe again in this country, at least safer than they currently feel and are, is essential in the process of healing and changing the next generations to come. We may not change everyone to reject racism/profiling , etc, but we can change a large portion of the next generation and those that follow.

You should read up on James Meredith, he has a similar and interesting story. I think this is encouraging people to revisit the strategics involved during the movement and there is lots of good stuff that we can use now.

I’m really having a hard time not letting the extremism and being in the middle of the partisan fighting discourage me from voting. So thank you for understanding why I am asking and answering my question because it does help me feel better. I said “white” in response to the OP. It’s okay if Biden and Trump are old white men. Lol

I know the mud slinging is going to happen, especially running against Trump. But I hope these riots and protests help people learn that we have to focus on solutions and take a break from the finger pointing. A lot of us are going exhausted from being caught in the middle of it and yelled at when we say speak up about it.

Biden has his problems but I can see him implementing these changes to at least start fixing this more so than Trump. It’s a lot on the line right now for us and our backs are against the wall to the point that we don’t have a choice but to put our vote where our mouth is. So I really hope that the Democrats and Biden take the next 5 months to build our confidence in the their ability to do so.

Thanks again.
I have read about Baldwin but I haven’t watched his videos as much as I should and will do that. 🤗 Thanks for reminding me, I will do that today as a matter of fact.

It’ll give me a break from the news. Lol
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:00 pm
Lemons wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:04 pm
SouthernIslander wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:59 pm

No. You can argue with me, hell ignore me if you please. I’m not going to stop asking you that question as long as you feel the need to exploit this to “criticize”’ people and I’m not going to stop calling out the behavior.

You don’t give a f**k about Floyd no more than Trump does.
You stereotype people. I have a feeling you think I’m a liberal white woman from the suburbs. My mother’s side from Canada and they’ve been coming and going over the past decades as if it’s one country. My fathers side is from South America, Latinos. The difference between the way one side of family is treated compared to the other side is night and day. Trump came along and made it ok to speak out loud the prejudices against Latinos. They are rapists and murderers. They bring nothing to the country. Build a wall. That’s a pretty shitty feeling to hear that shit. Something I won’t hear when the liberals get in. Although Biden’s not a liberal, I’m just using your words.

So if I want to bring out every little think that Trump lies about and does that is ridiculous, I will. Like the Antifa thread, you’re way off base.
You make proving my point about your political bias too easy Lemons. You bought “white” into this conversation with the “Trump’s white friends” comment and made a snark remark about me being politically correct, but when it comes to White liberals, I’m stereotyping. Miss me with the bullshit.

That’s great that you’re half Latino but I’m taking about you exploiting BLACK people and a BLACK man who was killed by police to bash and point fingers at conservatives when both sides are the problem.

I’ve complained about Trump but I also understand Latinos who took issue with the number of people who were deported under Obama and why they feel the problem is on both sides. I did more listening so I could get a better understanding because I can’t speak from experience to the magnitude that they can. It wasn’t about me, my Black experience or political views.

If you see me exploiting Latino social issues for partisan fighting or argue with anyone Latino about how they feel about the topics you mentioned, I WANT you to call me out on it. As a matter of fact, you are free to name an occurrence where I have done that to anyone Latino on this board and I have no problem apologizing for it.

So you can say every little thing that you want, I never told you not too. But as long as I’m Black, I’ll continue to respond even if you do not like what I have to say and I still won’t hold the slightest grudge against you.
You said everything to me except “you people”. And if you want to comment on a ridiculous thing the president did or lies that involves white people or Latinos, you have every right to do so.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:22 pm
Lemons wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:04 pm

You stereotype people. I have a feeling you think I’m a liberal white woman from the suburbs. My mother’s side from Canada and they’ve been coming and going over the past decades as if it’s one country. My fathers side is from South America, Latinos. The difference between the way one side of family is treated compared to the other side is night and day. Trump came along and made it ok to speak out loud the prejudices against Latinos. They are rapists and murderers. They bring nothing to the country. Build a wall. That’s a pretty shitty feeling to hear that shit. Something I won’t hear when the liberals get in. Although Biden’s not a liberal, I’m just using your words.

So if I want to bring out every little think that Trump lies about and does that is ridiculous, I will. Like the Antifa thread, you’re way off base.
You make proving my point about your political bias too easy Lemons. You bought “white” into this conversation with the “Trump’s white friends” comment and made a snark remark about me being politically correct, but when it comes to White liberals, I’m stereotyping. Miss me with the bullshit.

That’s great that you’re half Latino but I’m taking about you exploiting BLACK people and a BLACK man who was killed by police to bash and point fingers at conservatives when both sides are the problem.

I’ve complained about Trump but I also understand Latinos who took issue with the number of people who were deported under Obama and why they feel the problem is on both sides. I did more listening so I could get a better understanding because I can’t speak from experience to the magnitude that they can. It wasn’t about me, my Black experience or political views.

If you see me exploiting Latino social issues for partisan fighting or argue with anyone Latino about how they feel about the topics you mentioned, I WANT you to call me out on it. As a matter of fact, you are free to name an occurrence where I have done that to anyone Latino on this board and I have no problem apologizing for it.

So you can say every little thing that you want, I never told you not too. But as long as I’m Black, I’ll continue to respond even if you do not like what I have to say and I still won’t hold the slightest grudge against you.
You said everything to me except “you people”. And if you want to comment on a ridiculous thing the president did or lies that involves white people or Latinos, you have every right to do so.
If I meant “you people”, I would have said that and I was not asking you for permission.
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:04 pm

If I meant “you people”, I would have said that and I was not asking you for permission.
That's what I heard from your response and most people don't come right out and say it, they infer it. But I'm glad I was wrong.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:07 pm
SouthernIslander wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:04 pm

That's what I heard from your response and most people don't come right out and say it, they infer it. But I'm glad I was wrong.
No, I don’t do passive aggressive. I would have said it if that’s what I meant.
American Citizen
Peon

Unread post

You can't force people to take jobs they don't want.
Locked Previous topicNext topic