Obama stands by using the term "thugs" to describe protesters

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

BionicBunny wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:07 am
Valentina327 wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:53 am
BionicBunny wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 4:19 pm

First, Becky is racial? I don’t know where you were going with that...
Second, I didn’t say you didn’t get to choose how you feel. I said you don’t get to choose a meaning of a word and expect everyone else to treat that word the way you view it when it isn’t a racial slur. The meaning isn’t racist. So people are not going to see it as racist and just because you do and you get offended doesn’t mean others should have to walk on eggshells.
I’m not telling you how to feel. Feel however you feel. But you don’t get to tell other people how to feel or that a word that doesn’t have a racial meaning to it is factually racist. It is not.
No but in consideration for the fact that it's come to be offensive, we can choose not to use it. That's not walking on eggshells - it's just being a bit more conscious. I didn't realize any of that until Southern brought it up.
Just because a few people decided it was offensive doesn’t mean it’s an offensive racial slur. Everything is offensive now days and Too many people are trying to make everything politically correct and that’s walking on eggshells to please a few people and that’s walking on eggshells.
I mean no disrespect to southern. She is one of my favorites on here along with you and AZ and a few others.
But I’m not a PC person. If people in general try to tell me I can’t use a word because they decide it has a different meaning and it’s offensive I’m going to ignore it. I can’t control what other people get offended over and you can’t please everyone so I don’t live my life trying.
Thanks BB, so are you!

I get the frustration with constantly being told everything is racist or being called a racist and this is why I vehemently call out people who use racism to attack other people. It waters down our voices and makes it painfully difficult to have conversations like this. I can’t expect you to understand my frustration if I’m not trying
to understand yours.

But I’m not them and I think you mistook what I said as it’s a racial slur that you should never say or your damned a racist. We have agreed on some things, some maybe not, but I’ve never called you a racist and I’m not doing that now.

I think that is a fair compromise, even though we don’t agree.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I agree. The people who participated in the arson, in the destruction, in the looting, in the violence, they absolutely are thugs. I don't know how anyone could NOT see them that way.
BionicBunny
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:08 pm

No but in consideration for the fact that it's come to be offensive, we can choose not to use it. That's not walking on eggshells - it's just being a bit more conscious. I didn't realize any of that until Southern brought it up.
Just because a few people decided it was offensive doesn’t mean it’s an offensive racial slur. Everything is offensive now days and Too many people are trying to make everything politically correct and that’s walking on eggshells to please a few people and that’s walking on eggshells.
I mean no disrespect to southern. She is one of my favorites on here along with you and AZ and a few others.
But I’m not a PC person. If people in general try to tell me I can’t use a word because they decide it has a different meaning and it’s offensive I’m going to ignore it. I can’t control what other people get offended over and you can’t please everyone so I don’t live my life trying.
Thanks BB, so are you!

I get the frustration with constantly being told everything is racist or being called a racist and this is why I vehemently call out people who use racism to attack other people. It waters down our voices and makes it painfully difficult to have conversations like this. I can’t expect you to understand my frustration if I’m not trying
to understand yours.

But I’m not them and I think you mistook what I said as it’s a racial slur that you should never say or your damned a racist. We have agreed on some things, some maybe not, but I’ve never called you a racist and I’m not doing that now.

(((Hugs))) 🤗

Thank you southern for clearing that up and saying that. I did mistake your meaning behind what you said. And it is frustrating when people make everything racist. You are absolutely right that it waters things down. I’ve always said that making things racist when they aren’t does an injustice for real racist cases. It creates more division. It hurts everyone in the long run.
I always say I hate people equally lol. That’s my social anxiety talking. I love people from all walks of life. People of different colors, culture, religions, etc. I love that we are all different, it makes the world more interesting.
There is so much violence and hate. That’s what makes me say I hate all people equally. But then I find people who restore my faith in humanity and my love for others. And those people have been from all walks of life and I appreciate them more than they know. And I appreciate you and I respect you and I love reading what you have to say.
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Second, I didn’t say you didn’t get to choose how you feel. I said you don’t get to choose a meaning of a word and expect everyone else to treat that word the way you view it when it isn’t a racial slur. The meaning isn’t racist. So people are not going to see it as racist and just because you do and you get offended doesn’t mean others should have to walk on eggshells.
I’m not telling you how to feel. Feel however you feel. But you don’t get to tell other people how to feel or that a word that doesn’t have a racial meaning to it is factually racist. It is not.
I'm not a big fan of PC culture either - I get frustrated with people being hypersensitive. I've regularly made reference to people being cream puffs in some discussions on here. LOL

That being said, I do try to avoid intentionally being offensive though. I the only way we improve personally is by listening and observing is I guess how I see things.
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/
highlandmum
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I think you have to look at the connotation if is used in. If you are talking about a group of AA teens standing around and you say "They look like a bunch of thugs." then yes it has racial undertones. But when talking about a group of rioters who are of all races and it is not directly attributed toward one particular race then no it is not racist. They used the term to describe the rioters of the Vancouver riots and they were 98% white young male adults.
Mommamia
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Exactly, BionicBunny. If someone gets offended by a word because the PC police or some group of people have suddenly decided it's insulting or an attack on a group of people, then that is their problem. There's enough to worry about in our every day lives, more important things to think about, than to sit around and google 'what's the latest word I can't use any more'. Most people are too busy working, taking care of their families, putting food on the table , worry about whether they can pay their rent and utilities, or mortgages, than to give a flying rat's ass over what the word of the day has changed to, kwim?
BionicBunny
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Valentina327 wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:18 pm

I'm not a big fan of PC culture either - I get frustrated with people being hypersensitive. I've regularly made reference to people being cream puffs in some discussions on here. LOL

That being said, I do try to avoid intentionally being offensive though. I the only way we improve personally is by listening and observing is I guess how I see things.
Lol cream puff
In reality life I avoid being offensive. Online I don’t really bother worrying about being politically correct because you have so many different people with different views there is no way to please everyone. I means, I don’t try to offend people but when it comes to words that meaning things it doesn’t, I would feel like I was walking eggshells worrying is someone going to be offended by my this or that when it isn’t offensive.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

BionicBunny wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:20 pm
SouthernIslander wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:08 pm

Thanks BB, so are you!

to understand yours.

(((Hugs))) 🤗

Thank you southern for clearing that up and saying that. I did mistake your meaning behind what you said. And it is frustrating when people make everything racist. You are absolutely right that it waters things down. I’ve always said that making things racist when they aren’t does an injustice for real racist cases. It creates more division. It hurts everyone in the long run.
I always say I hate people equally lol. That’s my social anxiety talking. I love people from all walks of life. People of different colors, culture, religions, etc. I love that we are all different, it makes the world more interesting.
There is so much violence and hate. That’s what makes me say I hate all people equally. But then I find people who restore my faith in humanity and my love for others. And those people have been from all walks of life and I appreciate them more than they know. And I appreciate you and I respect you and I love reading what you have to say.
🤗🤗 Hugs back lady and the respect/appreciation is mutual. Everyone is frustrated but at least some of us can have tough but productive conversations like this.

Have a good evening!
Jlop0004
Countess
Countess

Unread post

Look up the meaning of thug in the dictionary.
Locked Previous topicNext topic