Drs Raise Alarm About Health Effects of Cont'd COVID Shut down

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Mommamia
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

More than 600 doctors signed onto a letter sent to President Trump Tuesday pushing him to end the "national shutdown" aimed at slowing the spread of the coronavirus, calling the widespread state orders keeping businesses closed and kids home from school a "mass casualty incident" with "exponentially growing health consequences."

The letter outlines a variety of consequences that the doctors have observed resulting from the coronavirus shutdowns, including patients missing routine checkups that could detect things like heart problems or cancer, increases in substance and alcohol abuse, and increases in financial instability that could lead to "[p]overty and financial uncertainty," which "is closely linked to poor health."

"We are alarmed at what appears to be the lack of consideration for the future health of our patients," the doctors say in their letter. "The downstream health effects ... are being massively under-estimated and under-reported. This is an order of magnitude error."

The letter continues: "The millions of casualties of a continued shutdown will be hiding in plain sight, but they will be called alcoholism, homelessness, suicide, heart attack, stroke, or kidney failure. In youths it will be called financial instability, unemployment, despair, drug addiction, unplanned pregnancies, poverty, and abuse.

"Because the harm is diffuse, there are those who hold that it does not exist. We, the undersigned, know otherwise.

The letter comes as the battle over when and how to lift coronavirus restrictions continues to rage on cable television, in the courts, in protests and among government officials. Those for lifting the restrictions have warned about the economic consequences of keeping the shutdowns in effect. Those advocating a more cautious approach say that having more people out and about will necessarily end with more people becoming infected, causing what National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases Director Dr. Anthony Fauci warned in a Senate hearing last week would be preventable "suffering and death."

But these doctors point to others that are suffering, not from the economy or the virus, but simply from not being able to leave home. The doctors' letter lists a handful of patients by their initials and details their experiences.

"Patient E.S. is a mother with two children whose office job was reduced to part-time and whose husband was furloughed," the letter reads. "The father is drinking more, the mother is depressed and not managing her diabetes well, and the children are barely doing any schoolwork."

"Patient A.F. has chronic but previously stable health conditions," it continues. "Her elective hip replacement was delayed, which caused her to become nearly sedentary, resulting in a pulmonary embolism in April."

Dr. Mark McDonald, a psychiatrist, noted in a conversation with Fox News that a 31-year-old patient of his with a history of depression who was attending school to get a master's degree in psychology died about two weeks ago of a fentanyl overdose. He blames the government-imposed shutdown.

"She had to stay in her apartment, essentially in house arrest as most people here in [Los Angeles] were for weeks and weeks, she could not see her therapist -- she could speak to the therapist over the phone but she couldn't see her in person. She could not attend any of her group meetings, which were helping to maintain her abstinence from opiates ... and she relapsed into depression.

"She was just too withdrawn to ask for help," McDonald continued before noting that due to regulations only six people could be at her funeral. "She was simply trying to escape from her pain... I do blame these actions by the government for her death."

Continued.....

Doctors raise alarm about health effects of continued ...www.foxnews.com › politics › doctors-raise-alarm-about-...
moviestar
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Why do you believe those doctors but not the ones who say the shutdowns are necessary?
Francee89
Regent
Regent

Unread post

moviestar wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 8:48 pm Why do you believe those doctors but not the ones who say the shutdowns are necessary?
On the May 11 call, Nancy Schulze, a GOP activist who is married to former Rep. Dick Schulze, R-Pa., said she had given the campaign a list of 27 doctors prepared to defend Trump’s reopening push.

“Those are the types of guys that we should want to get out on TV and radio to help push out the message,” Schlapp said on the call.
“They’ve already been vetted. But they need to be put on the screens,” Schulze replied.

Gold denied she was coordinating her efforts with Trump's reelection campaign.

“But put this in there: I'm honored to be considered," she said.

https://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2020/0 ... ctors.htmL
Deleted User 670

Unread post

It ain't up to Trump. He doesn't control the states. And these 600 doctors sound like lunatics anyway. Any of them named Ingrams, Hannity or Carlson by any chance? Personally I trust Fauci. He's the expert in infectious diseases.
Mommamia
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

moviestar wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 8:48 pm Why do you believe those doctors but not the ones who say the shutdowns are necessary?
Shut downs achieved their purpose in the beginning. Now they are crippling the country and the people. I believe the 600 drs who signed the letter to Trump because I have a brain and can think for myself. I don't need to be spoon fed only what I want to see, hear or read.

If the lemmings had half a brain they would question all of the so called experts who have fed us lie after lie after a lie.
Mommamia
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Francee89 wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 9:03 pm
On the May 11 call, Nancy Schulze, a GOP activist who is married to former Rep. Dick Schulze, R-Pa., said she had given the campaign a list of 27 doctors prepared to defend Trump’s reopening push.

“Those are the types of guys that we should want to get out on TV and radio to help push out the message,” Schlapp said on the call.
“They’ve already been vetted. But they need to be put on the screens,” Schulze replied.

Too bad, but I don't and won't subscribe to the NYT. So, your comment is completely irrelevant to me.
Mommamia
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 9:36 pm It ain't up to Trump. He doesn't control the states. And these 600 doctors sound like lunatics anyway. Any of them named Ingrams, Hannity or Carlson by any chance? Personally I trust Fauci. He's the expert in infectious diseases.
Fauci has proven himself to be a fraud.
moviestar
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

wow I wish I hadn’t been eating tacos when I read this comment because I nearly choked to death laughing.
Mommamia wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 9:49 pm
Shut downs achieved their purpose in the beginning. Now they are crippling the country and the people. I believe the 600 drs who signed the letter to Trump because I have a brain and can think for myself. I don't need to be spoon fed only what I want to see, hear or read.

If the lemmings had half a brain they would question all of the so called experts who have fed us lie after lie after a lie.
moviestar
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Want to see my shocked face?

Francee89
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Mommamia wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 9:53 pm

Too bad, but I don't and won't subscribe to the NYT. So, your comment is completely irrelevant to me.
Cool, it wasn’t addressed to you.
Locked Previous topicNext topic