A tiger at the Bronx Zoo tests positive for the coronavirus, and other big cats there appear ill.

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

A tiger at the Bronx zoo has been confirmed to be infected with Covid-19, in what is believed to be a case of what one official called “human-to-cat transmission.”

“This is the first instance of a tiger being infected with Covid-19,” according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, which noted that although only one tiger was tested, the virus appeared to have infected other animals as well.

“Several lions and tigers at the zoo showed symptoms of respiratory illness,” according to a statement by the Agriculture Department.

Public health officials believe that the large cats caught the virus from a zoo employee. The tiger appeared visibly sick by March 27.

In a statement, the Agriculture Department suggested that those infected with the virus should, “out of an abundance of caution,” avoid contact with their pets and other animals.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/05/worl ... k-3fd6a685
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I always found it to be a conflict that early on they claimed it jumped from bats to humans, but then claimed we couldn't transmit it to our pets and not to worry about It. I thought maybe I was missing something. I hope the big cats are ok.
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I heard. And now I will look at her askance every time my cat coughs up a hairball. To think I was only nervous that she'd puke it up on the rug. I hear the tigers are okay though.
Deleted User 203

Unread post

I recall reading early on when we first starting hearing about Covid 19 that they thought it was zoonotic.

However, it was dismissed away by many experts in the animal medicine field.

A few weeks ago, it was reported that a domesticated cat living in Belgium with its owner had also contracted Covid 19 but again, it was dismissed, citing that it was a 'different form' of the virus that cannot be transmitted to humans and vice versa.

And now this. :(

I hope the tiger and other animals will be OK.
Deleted User 670

Unread post

Valentina327 wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:21 pm I always found it to be a conflict that early on they claimed it jumped from bats to humans, but then claimed we couldn't transmit it to our pets and not to worry about It. I thought maybe I was missing something. I hope the big cats are ok.
It has been discovered in a dog and a cat. But dogs and cats aren't a perfect host so their symptoms are mild according to scientists that were quoted in those articles, if I remember correctly.
xsxpxixdxexrxsx
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Oh, that's bad!
Linda_Runs
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Valentina327 wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:21 pm I always found it to be a conflict that early on they claimed it jumped from bats to humans, but then claimed we couldn't transmit it to our pets and not to worry about It. I thought maybe I was missing something. I hope the big cats are ok.
I saw more than one news report about this. Apparently COVID-19 can be transmitted to animals, but it doesn't make them sick and they can't transmit it back to humans through their blood or saliva, but the virus can stay on their fur like any other surface.

I have no reference for this other than what I have heard on the news media.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Linda_Runs wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:12 am
I saw more than one news report about this. Apparently COVID-19 can be transmitted to animals, but it doesn't make them sick and they can't transmit it back to humans through their blood or saliva, but the virus can stay on their fur like any other surface.

I read that as well. However, in the case of the big cats at Bronx Zoo, they are symptomatic with respiratory illness.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Linda_Runs
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:03 am
Linda_Runs wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:12 am

I read that as well. However, in the case of the big cats at Bronx Zoo, they are symptomatic with respiratory illness.
I looked it up. Interesting!

https://nationalpost.com/news/world/cov ... ronavirus
Locked Previous topicNext topic