Trump says he wants country 'opened up' by Easter, despite caution from health experts

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
DSamuels
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:36 am
DSamuels wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:36 am
Lemons wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:12 am

No. I’ve been in a target that has mixed food and merchandise. Small businesses are upset about the unfairness of the big stores still being able to sell clothing, housing goods, etc.
How do you think they will keep customers out of the non-food sections? You can’t unless you build locking barriers and even then it’s iffy. You put up regular barriers people will move them, climb over them, they will find a way. I can guarantee you.

People do need more than just food. They need cleaning products, they might need medicine, personal products, body soaps, lotions. Maybe their TV broke, maybe a kid or pet ripped open a pillow, light bulbs burn out, shit happens. A lot of thing you might not think are essential may be essential to someone else.

In NYC the local Bodegas are still open along with the pharmacies that sell all those necessities except of course TVs. .

The only way to slow the virus is staying at home unless necessary to go out. The news reports say if we don’t slow the number infected it will be one million by May. Big box stores staying open can’t be helping.

Are you saying people would walk right past a sign that says “do not enter”? There wouldn’t be any sales people there.
If they wanted something behind the sign they absofuckinglutely would go get it. They would climb over something if it was in the way. Until you have worked retail you have no idea how people act. It ain’t pretty.

Now people are walking right into the back stockroom clearly labeled employees only because they think the stores are hiding toilet paper and other things back there. I retired early back in November 2018, but I am still a member of a Facebook group of store employees. The stories they have now.

Fitting rooms are closed. A lady ignored the sign and took bathing suits back there. Left the door open too. An employee walked back to tell her she had to leave and she was topless. People stripping down to underwear to try on bathing suits and clothes on the sales floor. Ignoring the “Limit of 2” signs and bringing up 4 or more of an item and insisting to be rung up. These are just a few stories from today.
Never explain - your friends do not need it and your enemies will not believe you anyway. - Elbert Hubbard

Keep up - Calm Down - Pay Attention
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

DSamuels wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:19 am

How do you think they will keep customers out of the non-food sections? You can’t unless you build locking barriers and even then it’s iffy. You put up regular barriers people will move them, climb over them, they will find a way. I can guarantee you.

People do need more than just food. They need cleaning products, they might need medicine, personal products, body soaps, lotions. Maybe their TV broke, maybe a kid or pet ripped open a pillow, light bulbs burn out, shit happens. A lot of thing you might not think are essential may be essential to someone else.

In NYC the local Bodegas are still open along with the pharmacies that sell all those necessities except of course TVs. .

The only way to slow the virus is staying at home unless necessary to go out. The news reports say if we don’t slow the number infected it will be one million by May. Big box stores staying open can’t be helping.

Are you saying people would walk right past a sign that says “do not enter”? There wouldn’t be any sales people there.
If they wanted something behind the sign they absofuckinglutely would go get it. They would climb over something if it was in the way. Until you have worked retail you have no idea how people act. It ain’t pretty.

Now people are walking right into the back stockroom clearly labeled employees only because they think the stores are hiding toilet paper and other things back there. I retired early back in November 2018, but I am still a member of a Facebook group of store employees. The stories they have now.

Fitting rooms are closed. A lady ignored the sign and took bathing suits back there. Left the door open too. An employee walked back to tell her she had to leave and she was topless. People stripping down to underwear to try on bathing suits and clothes on the sales floor. Ignoring the “Limit of 2” signs and bringing up 4 or more of an item and insisting to be rung up. These are just a few stories from today.
That sounds like all the more reason to shut down certain sections of big box stores. If they have to guard those barricades with the national guard or military, so be it. Or retailers could just pull all the non-essential stock and use that space for essentials. The sooner we get this under control, the sooner we can get back to normal.
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Deleted User 638

Unread post

DSamuels wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:50 am
AnnieArk wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:38 am
Lemons wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:01 pm

Walmart CEO visited Trump at the White House along with other CEO,s from Target, Walgreens, etc. I’m sure that is some of the reason Target and Walmart have been allowed to continue to sell everything, not just food.

They should be allowed to sell any merchandise because people need more than food.
I’ve been doing some online shopping. So far if I can’t order or online or order it from drive-up pickup, I don’t really need it.

Delivery is wonderful now.
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Well, I would love to have a huge Passover Seder with all my family. But that ain’t happening either!
I guess Trump finally met someone that doesn’t do whatever HE wants- a virus.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
highlandmum
Regent
Regent

Unread post

My DD works at Wal-Mart and they have had to lock up the hair dye, people were opening them and stealing the gloves from them. They are coming in with their own containers and filling them up with the hand sanitizers they had positioned around the store - these are now gone and you have to ask a associate at the front for some. People have gone insane.
DSamuels
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Thelma Harper wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:19 am

That sounds like all the more reason to shut down certain sections of big box stores. If they have to guard those barricades with the national guard or military, so be it. Or retailers could just pull all the non-essential stock and use that space for essentials. The sooner we get this under control, the sooner we can get back to normal.
Considering “essential” goods take up probably 1/4 of the store and most back rooms are about that size there is no way they can empty non-essentials off the floor and store them. They also wouldn’t have enough back room inventory to cover the empty space. And who decides what is essential and what isn’t?
Never explain - your friends do not need it and your enemies will not believe you anyway. - Elbert Hubbard

Keep up - Calm Down - Pay Attention
Francee89
Regent
Regent

Unread post

AZLizardLady wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:28 pm
Francee89 wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:44 pm President Donald Trump said Tuesday he wants to have the country getting back to business by the Easter holiday, April 12, even as the coronavirus pandemic continues to worsen.

“I would love to have the country opened up and raring to go by Easter,” Trump said during a Fox News interview.

I see nothing wrong with having a goal and trying to maintain some sense of optimism in a world where there are constant bad news stories and despair.

However, keep it realistic (the goal) and anticipate having to move the goal post.

IOW, as the old saying goes, if wishes and buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a beautiful....uh....Easter.
As you said, keep it realistic. Is Easter at all a realistic timeframe to encourage “packed” churches? No.

It’s entirely possible to be optimistic and encourage people without irresponsibly throwing out dates based on nothing but him thinking it would be “beautiful”.

Although, his latest tweet makes it clear this is being guided less by public health concerns and more by political ones, namely his re-election. The “lame stream media” are simply reporting the opinions of the majority of public health officials, who are clear that Easter isn’t a realistic timeframe.

Deleted User 638

Unread post

Francee89 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:17 pm
Francee89 wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:44 pm President Donald Trump said Tuesday he wants to have the country getting back to business by the Easter holiday, April 12, even as the coronavirus pandemic continues to worsen.

“I would love to have the country opened up and raring to go by Easter,” Trump said during a Fox News interview.

I see nothing wrong with having a goal and trying to maintain some sense of optimism in a world where there are constant bad news stories and despair.

However, keep it realistic (the goal) and anticipate having to move the goal post.

IOW, as the old saying goes, if wishes and buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a beautiful....uh....Easter.
As you said, keep it realistic. Is Easter at all a realistic timeframe to encourage “packed” churches? No.

It’s entirely possible to be optimistic and encourage people without throwing out dates based on nothing but him thinking it would be “beautiful”.

Although, his latest tweet makes it clear this is being guided less by public health concerns and more by political ones, namely his re-election. The “lame stream media” are simply reporting the opinions of the majority of public health officials, who are clear that Easter isn’t a realistic timeframe.

upload image from url

The problem is that Trump has surrounded himself by sycophants for so long he thinks his will can make his wishes reality. He's in for a shock around Easter.
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Francee89 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:17 pm

It’s entirely possible to be optimistic and encourage people without irresponsibly throwing out dates based on nothing but him thinking it would be “beautiful”.

“The real people” want to get back to work? Yes, that’s the way to run a country in a time of crisis. Pitting people against each other.

And he’s using Easter because the evangelical base think Trump was brought to us by Jesus Christ and he’s milking that for everything it’s worth. Trump is nothing but a Charleton.
Locked Previous topicNext topic