Trump says he wants country 'opened up' by Easter, despite caution from health experts

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:05 pm
WellPreserved wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:26 pm
Thelma Harper wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:07 pm

That, and I'd like to see online/pick-up/delivery increase until this is over. Set up break bulk grocery centers and put tested and monitored unemployed people to work "shopping" and delivering.

It sounds draconian, but I don't know how else to stop this. It's moving so fast.

Spain is now discovering dead elderly abandoned in senior living facilities. How soon before we find the same dead in their homes.
Sad story someone linked about a 42 year old found dead from the virus near Atlanta GA at home with a small child. It’s not just the elderly.
I read that story. All people self-quarantining should be checked on. This is a real yucky illness. Some people exhibit little to no symptoms, some people it progresses slowly and in others it progresses rapidly. Singles, and single parents should especially be monitored with things like wellness checks. I keep seeing posts of people who went from a cough to a 104 fever in the space of a couple of hours and are still told to stay home unless symptoms progress. Think about that if you live alone?
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
29again
Regent
Regent

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:05 pm
29again wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:00 pm
Carpy wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:46 pm

Michigan considers them essential. All of them are open. Business as usual.
How about the AA meetings? Are those allowed?
In our county, they have moved online which only works if you have internet.
That's good, at least they have that. I can't imagine being in that position!
Expand your thinking

It’s possible to disagree with an article and not respond with a personal attack you know.
Try it.
Deleted User 203

Unread post

Francee89 wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:44 pm President Donald Trump said Tuesday he wants to have the country getting back to business by the Easter holiday, April 12, even as the coronavirus pandemic continues to worsen.

“I would love to have the country opened up and raring to go by Easter,” Trump said during a Fox News interview.

I see nothing wrong with having a goal and trying to maintain some sense of optimism in a world where there are constant bad news stories and despair.

However, keep it realistic (the goal) and anticipate having to move the goal post.

IOW, as the old saying goes, if wishes and buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a beautiful....uh....Easter.
DSamuels
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:01 pm
Francee89 wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:56 pm

For sure. If Walmart is a grocery store, it makes sense to keep that portion (along with other household essential parts of the store) open, but even then there should be a limit on the number of people allowed inside at a time.
That, and I'd like to see online/pick-up/delivery increase until this is over. Set up break bulk grocery centers and put tested and monitored unemployed people to work "shopping" and delivering.

It sounds draconian, but I don't know how else to stop this. It's moving so fast.
Walmart CEO visited Trump at the White House along with other CEO,s from Target, Walgreens, etc. I’m sure that is some of the reason Target and Walmart have been allowed to continue to sell everything, not just food.
Just curious, have you ever worked retail in a store that has mixed merchandise?
Never explain - your friends do not need it and your enemies will not believe you anyway. - Elbert Hubbard

Keep up - Calm Down - Pay Attention
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

DSamuels wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:07 am

Walmart CEO visited Trump at the White House along with other CEO,s from Target, Walgreens, etc. I’m sure that is some of the reason Target and Walmart have been allowed to continue to sell everything, not just food.
Just curious, have you ever worked retail in a store that has mixed merchandise?
No. I’ve been in a target that has mixed food and merchandise. Small businesses are upset about the unfairness of the big stores still being able to sell clothing, housing goods, etc.
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:14 pm
Lemons wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:05 pm
WellPreserved wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:26 pm

Spain is now discovering dead elderly abandoned in senior living facilities. How soon before we find the same dead in their homes.
Sad story someone linked about a 42 year old found dead from the virus near Atlanta GA at home with a small child. It’s not just the elderly.
I read that story. All people self-quarantining should be checked on. This is a real yucky illness. Some people exhibit little to no symptoms, some people it progresses slowly and in others it progresses rapidly. Singles, and single parents should especially be monitored with things like wellness checks. I keep seeing posts of people who went from a cough to a 104 fever in the space of a couple of hours and are still told to stay home unless symptoms progress. Think about that if you live alone?
Scary. And there are no thermometers in any stores in NYC so people can’t even monitor themselves, they have to guess. My friend has a terrible dry cough. I told her to go to Duane Reade right around the corner from her and get cough medicine, Tylenol, thermometer, etc. They had nothing.
DSamuels
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:12 am

No. I’ve been in a target that has mixed food and merchandise. Small businesses are upset about the unfairness of the big stores still being able to sell clothing, housing goods, etc.
How do you think they will keep customers out of the non-food sections? You can’t unless you build locking barriers and even then it’s iffy. You put up regular barriers people will move them, climb over them, they will find a way. I can guarantee you.

People do need more than just food. They need cleaning products, they might need medicine, personal products, body soaps, lotions. Maybe their TV broke, maybe a kid or pet ripped open a pillow, light bulbs burn out, shit happens. A lot of thing you might not think are essential may be essential to someone else.
Never explain - your friends do not need it and your enemies will not believe you anyway. - Elbert Hubbard

Deleted User 638

Unread post

Francee89 wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:56 pm

For sure. If Walmart is a grocery store, it makes sense to keep that portion (along with other household essential parts of the store) open, but even then there should be a limit on the number of people allowed inside at a time.

They should be allowed to sell any merchandise because people need more than food.
DSamuels
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

AnnieArk wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:38 am

They should be allowed to sell any merchandise because people need more than food.
I’ve been doing some online shopping. So far if I can’t order or online or order it from drive-up pickup, I don’t really need it.

Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

DSamuels wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:36 am
Lemons wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:12 am

How do you think they will keep customers out of the non-food sections? You can’t unless you build locking barriers and even then it’s iffy. You put up regular barriers people will move them, climb over them, they will find a way. I can guarantee you.

People do need more than just food. They need cleaning products, they might need medicine, personal products, body soaps, lotions. Maybe their TV broke, maybe a kid or pet ripped open a pillow, light bulbs burn out, shit happens. A lot of thing you might not think are essential may be essential to someone else.

In NYC the local Bodegas are still open along with the pharmacies that sell all those necessities except of course TVs. .

The only way to slow the virus is staying at home unless necessary to go out. The news reports say if we don’t slow the number infected it will be one million by May. Big box stores staying open can’t be helping.

Are you saying people would walk right past a sign that says “do not enter”? There wouldn’t be any sales people there.
Locked Previous topicNext topic